News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North end of US-220

Started by Ketchup99, June 03, 2020, 05:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ketchup99

There are three seeming peculiarities at the northern terminus of US-220 around the PA/NY state line:

- The Southern Tier Expressway dips into Pennsylvania very, very briefly. Is this PA-17, or NY-17? Once the 86 designation is extended through here that will become obsolete, but which is it? And further, who maintains it?
- It's not very clear where the northern terminus of US-220 is. It seems to me there are three possibilities:
       - At the interchange with Route 17's EB ramps - this is where Wikipedia marks the northern terminus
       - Five hundred feet up the road at Chemung Street (old NY-17), crossing the PA-NY state line on the way - this is where Google Maps marks the northern terminus
       - 220 is carried by Yanuzzi Drive to the 17 WB ramps - this is where Google's "yellow line" for major routes ends.
Does anyone know which it is? Map is here.
- Finally, just south of 17 on 220 - very much in Pennsylvania - is a sign reading "State Speed Limit 55." This is a NY thing - I haven't seen this anywhere else in Pennsylvania. For the curious, it's here. Does NY somehow maintain this section of Sayre's bypass? I can see that the "Welcome to Pennsylvania" sign is a couple hundred feet down the road, but all of this is well in Pennsylvania.

sbeaver44

NY maintains the interchange with NY 17 as well as the NY 17 section within PA.  It is fully NY 17 even in PA.

It is my understanding that US 220 ends at Yanuzzi Drive which is the NY 17 West ramp.  There is a SR 220 END SEG on 220 immediately at the light with Yanuzzi Drive on the north side on GSV.  It is along with the TOWN OF WAVERLY sign, but this sign is before the border.

US 220 until about 2010 ended up at Chemung St but no longer goes into NY.

sbeaver44

I've tried to get Google to remove US 220 north of Yanuzzi, by the way.  No luck yet.

usends

Quote from: sbeaver44 on June 03, 2020, 05:45:42 PM
I've tried to get Google to remove US 220 north of Yanuzzi, by the way.  No luck yet.

Yes, the US designation does end at the STE now, but what is the road called between there and Chemung?  In GMSV the street blades still say "Route 220", which could very well still be correct as a streetname (even though it's no longer a highway designated with that number). 

Incidentally, it was 2017 when NYSDOT made the truncation official with AASHTO, but I don't know if it was a different date when they decommissioned US 220 internally.

Also may as well make a side note here that, until 1973, US 220 ended at a different location north of the state line.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

sbeaver44

When I submitted the request to Google I said "Elmira Street" -- I forget where I figured that out from.  I was up there in October.

But I see the blade sign you're talking about.  Hadn't noticed that.  But it also says Route 17C for Chemung Street, so that's interesting.

Hwy 61 Revisited

I don't understand why it is orphaned from its parent anyway. I read somewhere that it should have been extended along NY 34 to at least Auburn. I would think PA 199 would become US 220 Bus. under this.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

Alps

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 04, 2020, 01:20:22 PM
I don't understand why it is orphaned from its parent anyway. I read somewhere that it should have been extended along NY 34 to at least Auburn. I would think PA 199 would become US 220 Bus. under this.
US 220 isn't the only one. US 104 is one none of us have figured out. If NY hated US highways so much, why did it have 104 and not connect it to 4? US 209 took many years to make it back to US 9.

jmacswimmer

Not certain if this is correct, but I've been under the impression that US 220 was never intended to directly connect to US 20 - instead, the "connection" would have been via decommissioned sibling US 120, which would have intersected US 220 in Lock Haven (still does as PA 120) and US 20 in Erie. 
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Ketchup99

Does anyone know why there's an NY-style "State Speed Limit 55" on the road while in Pennsylvania?

vdeane

Quote from: Ketchup99 on June 04, 2020, 03:56:49 PM
Does anyone know why there's an NY-style "State Speed Limit 55" on the road while in Pennsylvania?
NY maintains the interchange.  I presume NY placed the sign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ketchup99

Quote from: vdeane on June 04, 2020, 09:50:09 PM
Maybe, but isn't US-220 headed southbound south of NY-17 completely PA-maintained?

Alps

Quote from: Ketchup99 on June 04, 2020, 10:08:42 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 04, 2020, 09:50:09 PM
Maybe, but isn't US-220 headed southbound south of NY-17 completely PA-maintained?
Sign is within the maintenance limits. There are jurisdictional limit maps in possession of both agencies (or equivalent - that's the term NJ uses) that would delineate that. Still, NY should have put a regular-spec sign instead of theirs.

machias

I've always enjoyed that PennDOT put up one of their signs for a NYSDOT maintained road. All of the route markers along here are NYSDOT installs, but this guide sign is PennDOT.

jmacswimmer

Does PennDOT reimburse NYSDOT for everything they maintain in PA in this area?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 05, 2020, 03:11:08 PM
Does PennDOT reimburse NYSDOT for everything they maintain in PA in this area?

Others could confirm but I highly doubt it. NY wants it for consistency, and it's a minuscule drop in the bucket for both states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.