News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US-15 Highway Stub in Selinsgrove, PA

Started by BridgesToIdealism, August 11, 2020, 12:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BridgesToIdealism

Does anyone know what's up with this abandoned highway stub at the intersection of US-15 and US-522 in Selinsgrove, PA? Was US-15 originally supposed to take an inland expressway route rather than continuing to follow the Susquehanna River?
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

BridgesToIdealism

I can't figure out how to upload a photo, so you'll have to look at the Google Maps satellite on your own. This should be simple, I think?

usends

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on August 11, 2020, 12:56:33 PM
Does anyone know what's up with this abandoned highway stub at the intersection of US-15 and US-522 in Selinsgrove, PA? Was US-15 originally supposed to take an inland expressway route rather than continuing to follow the Susquehanna River?
Referring to this?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8199644,-76.8548673,849m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

hbelkins

Isn't that going to be utilized by the construction project that's now underway (and where a meet was held a year or two ago)?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

briantroutman

Look up the Central Susquehanna Valley Transportation Project.

That stub will eventually bypass Shamokin Dam to the west, cross the Susquehanna River near Winfield, and then connect with the current southern end of the PA 147 freeway near Montandon. When completed, the US 15 → PA 147 → I-180 route will be the de facto through route for the US 15 corridor, even though the US 15 designation is planned to continue on its existing route through Lewisburg and Allenwood.

Construction has been split into two phases, with the northern section (Winfield to Montandon), including the Susquehanna River bridge, comprising the first phase. The bridge and its approaches are well underway and scheduled to open in 2022. The southern section (Selinsgrove to Winfield) has been delayed somewhat due to the discovery of unstable ground (ash basins) in the originally planned path. The alignment had to be changed somewhat, and I believe the southern section is due to be complete and open to traffic about 2027.

BridgesToIdealism

Quote from: usends on August 11, 2020, 01:26:19 PM
Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on August 11, 2020, 12:56:33 PM
Referring to this?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8199644,-76.8548673,849m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0

Yes, that's what I was referring to. My question is though, what was the original plans for that stub? The Central Susquehanna Transportation Project seems relatively new, so I assume that they are reusing the old right of way for a previous cancelled plan?

Alps

Pretty similar to what being built. There was never a settled plan but it was either this or straight north to Williamsport.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.