What do you want to see in a road video?

Started by jbnv, February 03, 2018, 12:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

I've been thinking about making videos of my drives. I have the camera, I have a long commute, and I also rideshare on the side. So I have the time and resources to do it. But I need a reason to make it worth it. If I knew that I could make videos and people would want to see them, I would do it. So I ask my potential audience, what would make you want to see videos of my commuting?

FYI, I commute from north of Hammond to the east side of Baton Rouge each day. I do my ridesharing mostly in Baton Rouge on nights, particularly Friday nights. On occasion I go to Lafayette or New Orleans.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

corco

To me, a road video is useless unless there is a good song sung about the route in question by the person who produced the video. It should have rhymes.

adventurernumber1

If you made videos of your drives, it would be received very well, and it would definitely be worth the time and the effort.

I personally am a huge fan of road videos, and I love every aspect of them (even if it is on a rural drive with not much on it), and I highly enjoy watching them.

Some people are more fond of real-speed road videos, and other people are more fond of time-lapse road videos, especially if they have lots of graphics, information, and more (like on Freewayjim's YouTube channel). Your best bet may be to have a little bit of both, so as to reach both audiences and satisfy the most people. On my own YouTube channel, I have a little bit of regular-speed, time-lapse, and even slow-motion road videos of my own. I have a variety of material so that the most people can enjoy it. Though, in terms of percentages, you may find that most people like time-lapse road videos with graphics and information and the sort the best.

Needless to say, I would personally definitely be a subscriber to your road video YouTube channel. I think it would be a great idea to start one up!  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Mileage Mike

Did you ever get around to creating any videos?

Max Rockatansky

Highways that aren't limited access, it seems like that's overwhelmingly what the majority of videos are. 

froggie

Since this thread got resurrected, I'll mention what I DON'T want/like to see in a road video:

- The dashboard or other parts of the vehicle being driven.
- Rapid changes in video speed.  Some video creators do this to match the background music they're using but I'm not a fan....makes it harder on the eyes to follow.

Route66Fan

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Route66Fan on November 07, 2019, 03:48:23 AM
More old abandoned roads & bridges.

The only person I've seen do that in the world of Road Geeking is Roamin Rich.  A lot of OHV guys out west tend to do abandoned roads every now and then.

ozarkman417

Quote from: froggie on November 05, 2019, 08:48:06 AM
Since this thread got resurrected, I'll mention what I DON'T want/like to see in a road video:

- Rapid changes in video speed.  Some video creators do this to match the background music they're using but I'm not a fan....makes it harder on the eyes to follow.
As well as cringy after-effects seen on some personal travel videos.

Mileage Mike

Quote from: froggie on November 05, 2019, 08:48:06 AM

Totally agree about the dashboard. It's extremely simple to edit that part out in any video editor before uploading it to Youtube.

jbnv

Quote from: Cemajr on November 03, 2019, 06:43:37 AM
Did you ever get around to creating any videos?

No. Don't see it happening any time soon.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

TheGrassGuy

PLEASE make it a time-lapse. Also, I-12 full length?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

GaryV

Someone who insists that the video is of Federal Route xx. Shows blurry pictures in poor lighting. Then sings badly.

NOT!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.