News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

DST (Fall 2019)

Started by webny99, October 30, 2019, 08:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Is DST still a forbidden topic? We're about to find out!

There are countless reasons why the US should be on standard time right now (October 30th) instead of DST.
This week, in particular, is just too much:

(1) Halloween should unquestionably be on standard time (darker in the evenings).
(2) Mornings are now too dark! It's ridiculous that the latest sunrise of the year is this Saturday, instead of being near the winter solstice.
(3) The US should remain in sync with the EU/rest of the world as much as possible.
(4) Just 5 months are entirely or partially on DST. Going back to an October end date would make that 6 months (more even).
(5) The start date and end date of DST are out of sync, relative to the equinoxes (and thus, our natural clocks). The first weekend of November strings it out just too long, as evidenced by the extremely dark mornings making it borderline impossible to wake up this week!

Thus, the end date of DST should be moved back at least one week, to allow the US population a smoother and healthier transition into the shortest solar days of the year!

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: webny99 on October 30, 2019, 08:43:50 PM
(1) Halloween should unquestionably be on standard time (darker in the evenings).

This is very much in question. In fact, it's pretty much the reason why the end of daylight saving time was pushed back a week to the first Sunday in November to begin with: More light for the children trick-or-treating.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 30, 2019, 08:59:52 PM

This is very much in question. In fact, it's pretty much the reason why the end of daylight saving time was pushed back a week to the first Sunday in November to begin with: More light for the children trick-or-treating.

If you have to go hunt for candy during the day you're doing it wrong.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 30, 2019, 09:09:29 PM

No, what's wrong is the growing popularity of trunk-or-treat, where you don't have to hunt for candy at all.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 30, 2019, 09:12:42 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 30, 2019, 09:09:29 PM

No, what's wrong is the growing popularity of trunk-or-treat, where you don't have to hunt for candy at all.

Yes, I was witness to that the other day at a social function for my nieces.  At least it wasn't on the actual Halloween and was done at 6:30 PM a solid 28 minutes after sundown.  We're doing it right here tomorrow, getting started at 6:30 PM and walking.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

(2) Mornings are now too dark! It's ridiculous that the latest sunrise of the year is this Saturday, instead of being near the winter solstice.
I agree, though the idea of trick or treating during the day seems to be becoming more and more mainstream.  I've even seen proposals to move Halloween to be on a Saturday every year.

Re: mornings, I'm the same way, but it seems that most people either have no issue waking up on dark mornings, or haven't fully considered how an hour extra light in the evening is an hour less light in the morning.

(3) The US should remain in sync with the EU/rest of the world as much as possible.
(4) Just 5 months are entirely or partially on DST. Going back to an October end date would make that 6 months (more even).
Actually, the world is pretty inconsistent.  The EU might be abolishing the time change soon - the European Parliament already approved it, and now it's moving through the member states.  This might be their last "fall back".  Mexico's DST schedule is different from both us and the EU.  Same for many countries in the Southern Hemisphere especially.  And yes, it's silly how "standard" time is actually the minority now.  Not a problem in Europe, where it's "[time zone] Time" (sometimes referred to as "[time zone] Winter Time") and "[time zone] Summer Time" instead of "[time zone] Standard Time" and "[time zone] Daylight Time".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ozarkman417

So... Kill the twelve hour clock while were at it?

MNHighwayMan

Where's that lock ahead sign when you need it?

US 89

CNGL-Leudimin

In before lock.

Here in Europe DST ended last Sunday, thus causing a misalignment between time zones. Nominally there is a 6 hour difference between Eastern time and Central Europe time, but right now the forum as I have setup it shows me a time one hour ahead my actual time, and substracting 6 hours from my time lands me in Central (USA) time instead of the intended Eastern. It's worse in March, as this happens for longer.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

GaryV

One year after Chrysler was taken over by MB (oh, sorry, "Merger of Equals"), all our meeting times changed by an hour because of the difference in dates when Daylight Saving Time changed.

Because my staff meeting time depends on what time it is in Stuttgart.  Right.

That said, I schedule soccer games for my local rec league.  We'd never get any evening games in if not for DST.

But I do hate coming to work when it's so dark.

jeffandnicole

The Philly area is predicting rain for tonight. There's been nonstop arguments on local Facebook groups about whether to keep trick or treating on Oct 31 and have kids walk in the rain (like how we all did growing up) or move Halloween to Friday or Saturday night. Basically, this is a town-by-town decision.

One of the more humorous arguments I have read is that Halloween should always be Saturday night so there's no school the next day. And when someone asks what if it rains...welll, just move it to Sunday night. The oblivious parent who doesn't want kids trick or treating on a school night doesn't get that they are literally suggesting to move it back to a school night!!

As for trunk or treats, I've never known them to be on Halloween itself. I also thought they were organized in such a way where everyone should know each other, or at least be associated with each other. One news story this year in South Jersey was that one parent found a bag of heroin in their kid's candy bag (it wasn't hidden in candy...it was a clear plastic bag of herion). Many are suspicious of such finding...and are thinking this was intentionally planted to give someone their 15 minutes of fame.

NWI_Irish96

Saturday in South Bend, sunrise is 8:16 and sunset is 6:39.  To me, that is a ridiculous distortion of the clock.  One of the reasons I moved to where I live now is that NWI is on Central instead of Eastern.  The rest of the state either needs to drop DST or move to Central.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

roadman

Having trick or treat after it gets dark is kind of the point of Halloween in the first place.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US 89 on October 30, 2019, 10:48:55 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 30, 2019, 10:44:48 PM
Where's that lock ahead sign when you need it?
Right here.

Thanks. I couldn't remember who made it or what thread(s) it was posted in, and I was too lazy to search.

Quote from: roadman on October 31, 2019, 10:38:26 AM
Having trick or treat after it gets dark is kind of the point of Halloween in the first place.

BuT tHiNk Of ThE cHiLdReN! We can't let our unfounded paranoia of creeps and drugged candy to allow kids to actually have fun!

webny99

I mean, that is a potential line of reasoning, but it doesn't change the fundemental: Light itself is contrary to what Halloween represents.

webny99

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 30, 2019, 10:29:55 PM
So... Kill the twelve hour clock while were at it?

No, but we should at least keep the start and end dates consistent with them.

1995hoo

I'm really looking forward to the extra hour of sleep. Didn't get much the past two nights due to the World Series. Totally worth it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

For the first time in my life, I will be in an airplane during the time change (probably flying over the Mountain Time Zone). Should have a much smaller effect on my body.

That said, the time change is outdated and needs to be replaced with year-round Daylight Time. The West Coast is making a bit of progress on getting this through state legislatures, but it still has to be approved by the federal government...

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Bruce on October 31, 2019, 03:35:33 PM
For the first time in my life, I will be in an airplane during the time change (probably flying over the Mountain Time Zone). Should have a much smaller effect on my body.

That said, the time change is outdated and needs to be replaced with year-round Daylight Time. The West Coast is making a bit of progress on getting this through state legislatures, but it still has to be approved by the federal government...

I get that sunsets before 5pm are no fun, but I'm not in favor of pushing sunrise past 8am to compensate.  Year round DST is a big no from me.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Whatever happens, I do not want a different rule for every state, and I do not want any 2-hour jumps from crossing state lines or other borders, nor do I want half-hour offsets.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 31, 2019, 11:25:02 AM
Quote from: roadman on October 31, 2019, 10:38:26 AM

BuT tHiNk Of ThE cHiLdReN! We can't let our unfounded paranoia of creeps and drugged candy to allow kids to actually have fun!

Nobody likes your children enough to give them free drugs. That shit's expensive.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 31, 2019, 03:49:32 PM
Quote from: Bruce on October 31, 2019, 03:35:33 PM

I get that sunsets before 5pm are no fun, but I'm not in favor of pushing sunrise past 8am to compensate.  Year round DST is a big no from me.

It's a little different in Indiana than it is for me in CT.  Today in CT, the sun set at 5:46, and will set at 6:43 in Indy.  Sunday, it will set around 4:40 here and about 5:35 there.  That's why if we get rid of the time changes, Indiana should remain on EST year round, and CT should stay on AST (same as EDT) year round.  I was in Indy a few years ago, and found it wild that the sun was still up after 9:00 in July and I still saw some light in the sky after 10:00.  In CT, it would be twilight already at 9:00.  Granted it would push the summer sunsets in Indiana back to around 8:30, but it would be more in line.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.