News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I drove by the Kmart on the south side of Lebanon (near PA 72) today, and it actually looked somewhat busy.  I was very shocked, but there also is not a Target in the area that I know of, and the Wal-Mart there is on the east side.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

renegade

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 08, 2019, 10:41:03 AM
The Waterford Kmart is closing I thought that ugly store would be the very last Kmart to close. Also RIP to Sears in Lansing, with two malls in the Lansing area I thought Sears at least did it right by locating about halfway in between the two malls.
Why do you care?  You want them all to close anyway!   :hmmm:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Flint1979

Quote from: catch22 on November 08, 2019, 12:21:58 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 08, 2019, 10:41:03 AM
The Waterford Kmart is closing I thought that ugly store would be the very last Kmart to close. Also RIP to Sears in Lansing, with two malls in the Lansing area I thought Sears at least did it right by locating about halfway in between the two malls.

The Warren store is closing too (announced earlier) which leaves Marshall as the only Michigan Kmart.
Marshall will probably be on the next round of closures.

stormwatch7721

The North Canton, OH Kmart is closing.

PHLBOS

Just saw a closing sign on the one near me at the MacDade Mall in Holmes, PA yesterday.  I don't believe I've been at that one or any K-mart for that matter in over 2 years.

The Clifton Heights K-mart, the second closest to me, is also closing as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

US71

Seems to me they are trying to milk a dead cow. Close them all and be done.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheGrassGuy

Wait, I thought Kmart closed long ago
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

webny99

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 01, 2019, 08:23:20 AM

It's a nationwide chain, which means it has multiple locations.

Brandon

Quote from: webny99 on December 04, 2019, 01:59:29 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 01, 2019, 08:23:20 AM

It's a nationwide chain, which means it has multiple locations.

Starting not to feel like a nationwide chain with the number of closures though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Flint1979

When's the next round of closings? Let's finish this beast off. No Sears or Kmart's within 100 miles of me.

SectorZ

Looks like the ones in the latest round of closings just started their clearance liquidations. The one in Billerica, MA just started yesterday.

I have to admit, I've been going to that store since I can remember. It used to be an anchor of a pretty small mall that actually was quite busy into the mid-90's. Now the old entrance to the mall still exists that just brings you into a store that will be gone in a couple of months, with the rest of the mall long since converted into stuff like a Big Lots and a Planet Fitness and a few smaller things. I went in tonight, and realized I will really miss it, despite my wishes that they just rip the band-aid off and be done with shutting down the whole company.

For some history of the location, http://www.labelscar.com/massachusetts/billerica-mall

LM117

Apparently, the only remaining Kmart in the Triangle metro in NC on Six Forks Rd in Raleigh will close in February. That will leave the store in Kill Devil Hills as the only Kmart in NC.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Quote from: LM117 on December 24, 2019, 03:57:31 PM
Apparently, the only remaining Kmart in the Triangle metro in NC on Six Forks Rd in Raleigh will close in February. That will leave the store in Kill Devil Hills as the only Kmart in NC.

Having not been to the Outer Banks tourist area in decades, I wonder if there's any other shopping options there, such as Walmart. If not, it's possible that Kmart might survive as long as the chain does. I'm sure there's a need for visitors to buy merchandise that a store like that offers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: hbelkins on December 24, 2019, 04:26:12 PM

Having not been to the Outer Banks tourist area in decades, I wonder if there's any other shopping options there, such as Walmart. If not, it's possible that Kmart might survive as long as the chain does. I'm sure there's a need for visitors to buy merchandise that a store like that offers.
These will be the only stores that make it to the end; stores without a Target or Walmart around but is located in a heavily-trafficed area.

That's why my store, the Vernon, CT, one, lasted until last year.  It was more convenient for people to go there than go near the mall in Manchester where the Walmart is.  And our area didn't get a Walmart until the mid-90s.  Not that you didn't have any options back then: Caldor, Ames, Bradlees and Kmart all existed together for a time.

LM117

There's a Walmart supercenter right up the road in Kitty Hawk on US-158, along with Harris Teeter, and Home Depot. There's also a Lowe's, Publix, and Food Lion in Kill Devil Hills.

That Kmart won't be around much longer, IMO.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 24, 2019, 06:38:28 PM

These will be the only stores that make it to the end; stores without a Target or Walmart around but is located in a heavily-trafficed area.

That's why my store, the Vernon, CT, one, lasted until last year.  It was more convenient for people to go there than go near the mall in Manchester where the Walmart is.  And our area didn't get a Walmart until the mid-90s.  Not that you didn't have any options back then: Caldor, Ames, Bradlees and Kmart all existed together for a time.

That explains  why the one in Watertown, CT lasted so long: there is nothing in that area on CT 63 except a few car dealerships and supermarkets.  The nearest Walmarts are about 8 or 9 miles down CT 63 in Naugatuck or on the other side of Waterbury, while the nearest Target is on Chase Ave in Waterbury.  The Holyoke, MA one remains because it is on US 5 and well away from Holyoke Mall (which has a Target), and the nearest Walmarts are in Chicopee on Memorial Dr, Springfield on Boston Rd, or in Westfield on US 20 (all about 10 miles away). 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

wanderer2575

Quote from: US71 on November 29, 2019, 09:13:30 AM
Seems to me they are trying to milk a dead cow. Close them all and be done.

It has to be that somehow Eddie Lampert is making money off the assets that are left.  That's all it's about; it's not about actually running a retail business.

Flint1979

The last standing Kmart in the state of Michigan is located in Marshall which has no Meijer, Target or Walmart within about 20 minutes or so from there you have to go to Battle Creek to get Meijer, Target or Walmart. I was in this Kmart in the summertime and it seemed to be a pretty clean Kmart compared to the rest of the chain. There were some signs of struggle though such as inventory gaps on the shelves but this Kmart might survive until the end.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: LM117 on December 25, 2019, 09:04:33 AM

There's a Walmart supercenter right up the road in Kitty Hawk on US-158, along with Harris Teeter, and Home Depot. There's also a Lowe's, Publix, and Food Lion in Kill Devil Hills.

I don't know if there's much rhyme or reason as to how these stores are being closed.  With that much competition, you would think that Kmart would've been closed a few years ago.

LM117

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 26, 2019, 07:54:46 AM

I don't know if there's much rhyme or reason as to how these stores are being closed.  With that much competition, you would think that Kmart would've been closed a few years ago.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me, either. The Raleigh store I mentioned was one of their nicer stores, though I've only been in there once in 2008. I've never been to Kill Devil Hills, so I can't speak to that one. Sears also closed about a year ago at Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, which is one of the few malls that is still doing damn good business. That was also a head-scratcher.

Meanwhile, Sears remains open at another nearby mall (Triangle Town Center), and that mall has seen better days. It was built in 2002 and intended to be upscale in order to compete with Crabtree, but the Great Recession happened, so it never took off. There was also a huge gang fight that happened in the mall in 2008 that involved 200+ people. That scared away the soccer mom crowd and the mall's reputation took a big hit that it never fully recovered from.

https://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3285984/

catch22

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 26, 2019, 07:54:46 AM

It's all about the real estate at this point, and little or nothing to do with sales or store profitability.  It appears to me that if the owners see a chance to make a quick buck with a site sale or walk at the end of a lease, they can and will do so without any regard to how that particular store is doing.  It's just a long, drawn-out liquidation.

D-Dey65

The one K-Mart in Pinellas County (wherever it is) is supposed to be closing, along with the Sears along FL 50 in unincorporated Brooksville.

Nobody on Wikipedia has told me whether or not the K-Mart at the Astor Place Subway station is still there. Somebody at the Grand Central Information Kiosk told me there was still a K-Mart on 42nd Street near Madison Square Garden, but I never found it.

Flint1979

I thought at one point there was a Kmart on 34th Street by Penn Station.

What about the one in Minneapolis that was built in the middle of the street? I think it was Nicolet Street it just ended and picked up on both sides because Kmart was in the way.

thenetwork

Once we get into the first week or two in January, when the dismal holiday sales reports at Kmart/Sears come out, I am willing to bet another round of closings will be announced.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.