Stuff on Old TV That Would Not Be Allowed Today

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: bing101 on April 13, 2018, 11:32:07 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 28, 2017, 03:04:01 PM
Wasn't Grimsby fired anyway for something.  I heard that it was because he came to work stoned and made a forward  comment in his drunken stupor and he was let go either during the commercial break or at the end of the broadcast.

Then again WABC TV in NYC had another fired for jokingly saying that a woman rape victim deserved to be raped.  Also Jim Jensen from WCBS TV too had a drug issue which let him go while treatment for his illness.  It could have been one of these two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex_Antoine

Well Tex Antoine got fired for the rant over rape on WABC-TV though.

Maybe she should consider a career in scripted TV shows.

bing101

Quote from: cjk374 on January 04, 2018, 10:05:05 PM
Even better....Richard Dawson, the host of Family Feud in the 80s, kissing EVERY female contestant on the show. You don't see Steve Harvey doing that on his version of Family Feud.  :no:

Well you gotta update this argument

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/13/steve-harvey-lawsuit-fitness-model-talk-show-slutty/?adid=hero3

Now Steve Harvey and his staff is getting sued for stuff that happened on his talk show.

roadman65

Quote from: kkt on April 16, 2018, 04:04:40 PM
Quote from: bing101 on April 13, 2018, 11:32:07 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 28, 2017, 03:04:01 PM
Wasn't Grimsby fired anyway for something.  I heard that it was because he came to work stoned and made a forward  comment in his drunken stupor and he was let go either during the commercial break or at the end of the broadcast.

Then again WABC TV in NYC had another fired for jokingly saying that a woman rape victim deserved to be raped.  Also Jim Jensen from WCBS TV too had a drug issue which let him go while treatment for his illness.  It could have been one of these two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex_Antoine

Well Tex Antoine got fired for the rant over rape on WABC-TV though.

Maybe she should consider a career in scripted TV shows.

With Mariska Hargitay coaching her.  "Oh honey, I know how you feel, I have been raped myself" as SVU Olivia Benson would always say..
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Jardine

Didn't think a thing about it at the time, but nowadays, I don't think any TV station would use a cat puppet to deliver the weather report like a TV station in Milwaukee used to.

If any one recalls more about this feel free to help me out.  It's been a while and I don't remember the name of the puppet or the TV station call letters.

As for a more serious thing I've noticed on reruns of Keeping Up Appearances, Hyacinth is mauled, groped and kissed by horny old men in at least 2 episodes.

D-Dey65

Quote from: sparker on April 09, 2018, 05:14:37 AM
Two episodes of "Married With Children" wouldn't make it in the post-PC world:  the "Period Piece" episode from one of the first seasons, where Al, Peg, and the kids go on a camping trip with Marcy and Ted, and all three females have their periods at the same time and subsequently terrorize the men.
Really? Because there as a "Modern Family" episode where all three Dunphy girls got their periods at the same time, thus freaking out Phil and Luke.

LM117

Quote from: bing101 on April 16, 2018, 04:16:17 PM
Even better....Richard Dawson, the host of Family Feud in the 80s, kissing EVERY female contestant on the show. You don't see Steve Harvey doing that on his version of Family Feud.  :no:

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/13/steve-harvey-lawsuit-fitness-model-talk-show-slutty/?adid=hero3

Now Steve Harvey and his staff is getting sued for stuff that happened on his talk show.

I wonder who else is gonna come out the woodwork now... :coffee:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 16, 2018, 12:30:32 PM

He said he stopped kissing the female contestants because his daughter saw an old episode and asked why he was kissing women who wasn't her mommy.

Note that the mommy she was talking about, Richard met as a contestant on the show.
Dawson was also heavily criticized for kissing African-American women and, I think, for even having black families on the show.

roadman65

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 17, 2018, 01:40:58 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 16, 2018, 12:30:32 PM

He said he stopped kissing the female contestants because his daughter saw an old episode and asked why he was kissing women who wasn't her mommy.

Note that the mommy she was talking about, Richard met as a contestant on the show.
Dawson was also heavily criticized for kissing African-American women and, I think, for even having black families on the show.
Look at lately, since ole Steve took over the show, every episode features a black family!  Not that is anything wrong with any race playing the game, but it seems that the show's producers want one to be in every game almost like Al Sharpton was complaining Mark Goodman is racist and insist that he use affirmative action in casting contestants that every game be at least one family.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

signalman

Quote from: roadman65 on April 17, 2018, 04:58:37 PM
Look at lately, since ole Steve took over the show, every episode features a black family!  Not that is anything wrong with any race playing the game, but it seems that the show's producers want one to be in every game almost like Al Sharpton was complaining Mark Goodman is racist and insist that he use affirmative action in casting contestants that every game be at least one family.
I've seen episodes under Steve's watch that didn't have a black family.  But admittedly, that's the exception and not the norm.

abefroman329

Quote from: bing101 on April 16, 2018, 04:16:17 PM

His ideas of what it means to be a Christian are...interesting, to say the least.

abefroman329

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 16, 2018, 11:02:26 PM
Quote from: sparker on April 09, 2018, 05:14:37 AM
Two episodes of "Married With Children" wouldn't make it in the post-PC world:  the "Period Piece" episode from one of the first seasons, where Al, Peg, and the kids go on a camping trip with Marcy and Ted, and all three females have their periods at the same time and subsequently terrorize the men.
Really? Because there as a "Modern Family" episode where all three Dunphy girls got their periods at the same time, thus freaking out Phil and Luke.

The episode of MwC mentioned above never actually made it to air.

bing101

Here is one example at the end of the Goofy Segment where a kid says "I will not Bomb the School again". Walt Disney will get targeted by various victim's rights groups of School shootings and school attacks if this cartoon aired today.

bing101

And yes this was mentioned in the 2018 NBA Finals thread. I don't know if the scene where 2:16 questioning the referee's eyesight will be allowed in 2018 in this Disney Cartoon given that Disney's ESPN has rights to the NBA Finals.  Even though this cartoon was originally about the College Basketball Finals everything in this cartoon is still true today.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: bing101 on June 07, 2018, 03:19:39 PM

Here is one example at the end of the Goofy Segment where a kid says "I will not Bomb the School again". Walt Disney will get targeted by various victim's rights groups of School shootings and school attacks if this cartoon aired today.

Besides Goofy, shorts about Popeye giving driving lessons to Olive and how women driving was portrayed wouldn't be made today. Note then this is a colourized version.
http://dai.ly/x5utrt7

And it was ramade later as "Car-Azy Drivers"
http://dai.ly/x3w1rh6

And here a mash-up clip coming various 1967-70 Spider-man episodes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMdh4DkslVk
To think there was an episode where Spider-man awaken after being put in a cooler by 2 thieve in a post-apocalyptic future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFJw2UptjnE

Edit: Is there a way to embede a video located on Dailymotion?

abefroman329

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 07, 2018, 04:31:38 PMTo think there was an episode where Spider-man awaken after being put in a cooler by 2 thieve in a post-apocalyptic future

What makes it especially odd is that the trope "stuffed in the fridge," which refers to the plot device where a (generally male) protagonist's motivation is the death of their significant other, has its origins in a comic book, where a superhero's girlfriend is killed by locking her in a fridge.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 07, 2018, 05:10:30 PM
What makes it especially odd is that the trope "stuffed in the fridge," which refers to the plot device where a (generally male) protagonist's motivation is the death of their significant other, has its origins in a comic book, where a superhero's girlfriend is killed by locking her in a fridge.

That or being throwed from the top of a bridge (Gwen Stacy) and let's not forget one of the classic damsel in distress trope, being tied to railroads, used in Dudley Do-Right opening and in some Popeye shorts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM_hC1acybA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npfi0UZL2ow

Another Spider-man episode who wouldn't be made today "Revolt in the Fifth Dimension" who was a remake of the Rocket Robin Hood episode "Dementia Five" by recylcling backgrounds and stock footage. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8_2GUXnPu4
https://youtu.be/_1fXf8CLkw0

bing101

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/roseanne-barr-obama-adviser-baby-muslim-brotherhood-planet/story?id=55504982

Roseanne both the 1980's/1990's edition and 2018 reboot cannot be aired anymore due to Roseanne making questionable tweets.  Yes ABC/Disney cut the contract away from the Owners of Roseanne due to a rant that is straight outta Alex Joneses mouth.

However if Roseanne Barr were to get a role again today then it would have to be a pundit for Alex Jones.

Stephane Dumas

It's a wonder then some folks had gived the green light for that episode of the cartoon Braceface.
https://youtu.be/qg05TGcn28g

US71

There was a classic Hawaii Five-O episode that has never been syndicated. I believe it featured someone who hanged themselves.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bing101

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gi1hd

Mickey's Parrot Clip yes where Mickey Mouse was defending his home for a killer alert with a gun. This Clip will not run in today's Disney Studios because of various backlash.

Stephane Dumas

In Popeye's "Lunch with a punch" around 5:10 Olive cheers up Popeye's nephews to knock out Bluto. We won't see that today.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3qt9w7

In_Correct

Quote from: roadman65 on July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM
Jackie Gleason on the Honeymooners who used to threaten his wife with his fists and making the famous lines "You're going to the moon." 

Ed Asner, as Lou Grant in Mary Tyler Moore, where he told Mary in the pilot episode " Hey Mary you have a nice caboose" meaning he though her ass was hot, as in those days all freight trains used cabooses at the rear of the train.

Ricky Ricardo on I Love Lucy spanking Lucy.

Those were classic and made TV funny, but with today's worlds standards and the escalation of acts of men toward women being degrading, modern television would not allow this thing as political activists groups would be making headlines and protesting the networks if a show like these were aired today.

Here is another twist All In The Family which allowed for censorship to be relaxed such as allowing phrases "What the Hell" and  allowing the toilet to be mentioned (and heard) plus allowing politics to be talked about on network TV and subjects such as the Vietnam protests and women's lib, along with talking about sexual promiscuous and the related were taboo as Rolling Stones when on the Ed Sullivan Show had to change the lyrics to their hit song Lets Spend The Night Together to  as the hint of sex could not even be mentioned at all originally, would not be allowed in today's world either.

Then look at the Honeymooners again, and What's Happening which used humor derived at poking fun at overweight people.  That is a big no no today.  I do not even think that Good Times or Maude (two more Norman Lear programs) could not be aired today with their controversial themes. 

It seems like slapstick comedy, obese jokes,  funny statements about punching females and commentary are not at all acceptable many decades later.  Any other things about modern television that changed comedy or even drama that can't be aired today?

Television was always censored, and it always will be.

Animation of the 1970s was supposed to be for preschool children. There were some things that must be deleted, but the main reasons for censoring and editing animation was to sell toys. 1970s episodes of Tom & Jerry were very different. Episodes of Tom & Jerry made before the 1970s had to be edited. It was more than blackface. They wanted the character Mammy Two Shoes gone. Chuck Jones was given the assignment of adapting theatrical animation for television, which included whitewashing Mammy Two Shoes. Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies was also Edited For Television. Scenes of Sylvester trying to kill himself (such as by means of cigarettes and alcohol and drug overdose) had to be deleted. But remember most of these theatricals (perhaps not Tom & Jerry nor Pink Panther, as Pink Panther is newer ... but the very very old ones such as Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies) were created during War Times, for War Times. Consider them animated editorial cartoons.

Other Animation such as Gatchaman was imported to The United States, with a complete redesign. It wasn't until the 21st Century when every episode was left Intact.

Now as for Gatchaman offending anybody today: Gatchaman contains two or three scenes where a woman is slapped. One of the scenes a woman was slapped so hard, the slap knocked her to the ground. And the slapping characters were the HEROES of the show, not the villains. The slapping was necessary because the women were stubborn and their lives were in danger. It won't be long before some people want the scenes deleted (again).

Room 222 ... I really doubt that a programme such as Room 222 could be aired today.

The original Dark Shadows. Dark Shadows is a Halloween themed soap opera  with various Supernatural, and having Seance, and depicting churches as corrupt cults. Dark Shadows is popular enough to make new episodes, (but first they should restore Night Of Dark Shadows) be cause of its popularity. It would still infuriate people who love churches.

Are these examples not good enough?

Episode A Farewell Tree From Marly of The Rookies has Marly Devon as "Retarded". I don't think that would would be used so easily. Or perhaps that was the point of the episode.

Not Good Enough?

There was Richard Dawson. Richard Dawson is one of the Family Feud hosts and gently kissed the lady contestants on the side of her face.

Still not good enough?

There was Bert Convy. Bert Convy hosted many game shows. One of them is Tattle Tales or Tattletales. This game show seems to blend The Ellen Degeneres Talk Show with T.M.Z.. (The audience won tiny cash prizes and the programme said it was "The Show Of Celebrity Gossip") Bert Convy seemed to be one of those very healthy "foreign" romantics that sometimes kissed an unsuspecting female. (Or perhaps she was warned in advance) The kiss was a very long mouth kiss. If a man tried to do that today, I am certain he would be killed.

Quote from: I-39 on July 09, 2017, 05:40:03 PM
Johnny Bravo on Cartoon Network would never be allowed today. That should had a mild edginess to it and people are too sensitive these days.

Yes, I agree with Johnny Bravo also.  A friendly, but lonely man that tried to date, rapidly asked her out, and get attacked by her. This could offend women. On the other hand, now there is a generation of men that are single or in a bad relationship, hate it, but do nothing about it. Perhaps Johnny Bravo should not have aired.

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on October 12, 2017, 07:39:43 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 17, 2017, 09:53:25 PM
Pissed off could not be said and since the 90s it was even said on Law and Order by Benjamin Bratt in one of his episodes he starred in.

Also the classification of Black can't be used anymore thanks to two nameless phony reverends who say its politically incorrect and racist even though many Africans I know, who are very pro Obama and anti Trump have no issues being called Blacks whatsoever.

However TV must comply with the same brass who owns the news.
Really. Then what do you call Blacks from Africa, The Caribbean, or Europe?

P00I

Native African.

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 07:26:02 PM
In fact, just looking at the screenshot without the video, I thought he was writing the temperature onto a chalkboard below him and out-of-frame, and it was being luminescence-keyed over him, which would have been cool enough. (Luminescence-keying is more or less the same as chroma-keying, except instead of keying out a particular color, you're keying out black. It was used a lot to superimpose graphics before Chyrons and such were invented. The original flashing light border around the screen at the beginning of The Price is Right, for instance, was an actual physical string of lights around a black square in the middle that was keyed over top of the camera feed.)

I am surprised that they used Chalkboards. Markerboards were in use by 1970, seen in [The] Mary Tyler Moore [Show]. Look for it in "Lou's First Date", and "Sue Ann Gets The Ax".

As for the Luminescence Over The Chalkboard or whatever, it would have been easier for The Weather Anchor to use a Telestrator, as they did in Now You See It.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

abefroman329

Quote from: In_Correct on June 14, 2018, 04:17:00 AMRichard Dawson is one of the Family Feud hosts and gently kissed the lady contestants on the side of her face.

Yeah, no, he kissed them on the lips.  Every.  Single.  Time.  I've been watching the reruns on Buzzr (some sort of OTA version of Game Show Network).

In_Correct

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 14, 2018, 08:57:58 AM
Quote from: In_Correct on June 14, 2018, 04:17:00 AMRichard Dawson is one of the Family Feud hosts and gently kissed the lady contestants on the side of her face.

Yeah, no, he kissed them on the lips.  Every.  Single.  Time.  I've been watching the reruns on Buzzr (some sort of OTA version of Game Show Network).

It has been a long time since I have watched episodes of either kissing on Tattle Tales or Richard Dawson's hosting of Family Feud. Unfortunately, I have not found any thing clip related. But I do remember that Bert Convy's kissing (perhaps it was only one time) was shown on Most Outrageous Moments. Perhaps Richard Dawson was the first one to do this and Bert Convy decided to kiss on his show after he saw Dawson? ... but I thought that Richard Dawson's was gentle while Bert Convy's was more extreme. I will have to watch them again.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzH1iaKVsBM

Donald Duck ties to Hitler would not be used today by current Disney Staff. However this is one of the cartoons that questions is Walt Disney or the staff at the time of the cartoon tied to Hitler.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.