News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

If you could shut down one business...

Started by hotdogPi, August 26, 2019, 08:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cu2010

I go to my local credit union branch once a month... to get cash out to pay my rent, because I haven't convinced my landlord to take PayPal or Venmo yet, and because the ATM won't let me take that much out. Everything else I either use an ATM or do electronically. It's just so much easier... especially since there's always a line during the one hour a day I can actually go!

SM-G930V

This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

bandit957

I didn't know landlords took PayPal. The ones I've had have only taken checks.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

cu2010

Technically anyone can take PayPal, you can use it to transfer funds between two parties. I use it to send money to my family  for birthdays, and for buying me stuff off Amazon, since I don't have a Prime membership.

I have a few family members who use it to send me money for my birthday and Christmas, since they know how much I despise gift cards.

My landlord takes check or cash... and since I'm not paying for checks that I'll never use because its 2019, I pay cash.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

vdeane

Quote from: bandit957 on September 11, 2019, 10:03:17 PM
I thought coin-operated washers and dryers in apartment buildings were still pretty common. Mine didn't have them when I moved in, but the building owner added them later.
They are, but there are places that have switched to prepaid cards and high-end units with in-unit laundry.  And, of course, townhome/condo/homeowners have their own machines and don't need to worry about such things.

Quote from: Rothman on September 11, 2019, 10:04:41 PM
My bank's ATMs accept deposits without deposit tickets.  Never had a problem with depositing checks into them.
So does mine, but I need to use up the deposit tickets somehow, and since I just pair the trip up with one to get laundry quarters (every 3-4 weeks, unless I visit family and do a load of laundry there), it's not like I'm making an extra trip just to deposit birthday/Christmas checks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

My bank's ATMs accept deposits without deposit tickets.  Never had a problem with depositing checks into them.

I always prefer to deposit checks in person. I'm not a fan of leaving them sitting in an envelope in an ATM, because I prefer to get the transaction settled as quickly as possible without worrying about the envelope potentially being lost or stolen. Also, even the newer ATMs that can read and process checks might still make read errors on occasion. With a human bank teller, this is not an issue.

SP Cook

Landlords.  My landlord bills me through Quicken and I can pay with a credit card, which I do to get the air miles.  Since credit cards charge a %age, he is really cutting himself out of a couple points, I would be glad to drop a check off at his office, which is downstairs.

Checks.  Other than taxes, which charge a "convience fee" to use credit cards, I neither write nor receive more than two checks a year.  When I last changed banks, I ordered the least number of checks possible and expect to have to shred most of these when I retire and change banks in 9 years.

Rothman

Quote from: US 89 on September 12, 2019, 12:36:11 AM

I always prefer to deposit checks in person. I'm not a fan of leaving them sitting in an envelope in an ATM, because I prefer to get the transaction settled as quickly as possible without worrying about the envelope potentially being lost or stolen. Also, even the newer ATMs that can read and process checks might still make read errors on occasion. With a human bank teller, this is not an issue.
I haven't needed to put my deposits into an envelope and the ATM confirms its scans, letting me make sure it got it right.  Like I said, never had a problem and the deposits pop up in my account online quite quickly -- the same time it'd take a check to clear.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

qguy

Quote from: Rothman on September 12, 2019, 11:25:50 AM

I haven't needed to put my deposits into an envelope and the ATM confirms its scans, letting me make sure it got it right.  Like I said, never had a problem and the deposits pop up in my account online quite quickly -- the same time it'd take a check to clear.

As a veteran I use USAA for all my banking. They have a smartphone app that I use to deposit checks by taking a picture of them. In virtually all cases the funds are available to me almost immediately.

Because the bank is located in San Antonio, TX, and USAA members are scattered all over the world, years ago the company devised various ways (using scanners, etc.) to deposit checks remotely and became the industry benchmark for that type of service. Other banks have now been copying them. I've been using my smartphone to deposit checks for around eight years, a home scanner for around ten years before that.

Brandon

How about three:

Red Speed
Safe Speed
Redflex
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

roadman65

How about collection agencies!  They are scum making money off of other people's misfortunes and the fact they have the power to ruin your Fico score.  The worst is when they come after you for a hospital bill that is a day late!

Fact is hospitals and ERs nowadays do not send out final warnings anymore.  Just one bill followed by another and then without warning the collections call you.  Then talk with them and insult the agency they work for and the phone agent gets all emotional like you are talking with the owner of the agency and get unprofessional and curse you out like you insulted them personally!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Sears/Kmart. Just close them all no one will miss them.

renegade

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 12, 2019, 07:34:10 PM
Dude.  How has that company harmed you personally?  You've made your point.  Repeatedly.  Move on, already.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Desert Man

AM Radio is in its last legs, along with FM and Shortwave, in the era of online audio streaming and Sirius/XM subscription.

930 KHJ (was it on 960 too?) in the 1960s, the most popular radio station Los Angeles and Southern CA knows about (anyone born before 2000). Briefly it was in Spanish (Mexican ranchera music genre), 1990-2015, now it's a Catholic religious station. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j85wdZrofKQ
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

formulanone

Quote from: Brandon on October 12, 2019, 10:00:33 AM
How about three:

Red Speed
Safe Speed
Redflex

I have no problem with the technology, it has other uses. But some products get used for threshold-of-evil purposes.

D-Dey65

I can think of a few really bad schools for "kids with special needs" I'd like to shut down.

That, and/or those phony wilderness therapy death camps.

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2019, 04:08:56 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on September 11, 2019, 04:07:37 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 10, 2019, 11:33:51 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on September 10, 2019, 11:31:38 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 26, 2019, 08:56:47 AM
You can assume that part of the "magic" of shutting down the business includes the ability to move customers and employees to another similar company without problems.

----

I would choose Wells Fargo. They are incredibly dishonest, with multiple scandals, and they're not expected to go bankrupt any time soon.

Goes Double for Bank of America
Oh yes that bank is terrible.  I used to bank at Barnett, but they got absorbed into Nation's Bank which afterwards got absorbed into them.  I shut my accounts and went to Chase.

I only use credit unions.  My company makes me go to the BOA constrictor, they are awful. 

How do they make you? Once they pay you the money is yours...

For company business

hbelkins

Right now DirecTV isn't getting a lot of love from me. See details in the "wireless carrier" thread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cwf1701

I would like to nominate MTV, not the same channel i watched in the 80s. People of my age miss what the M in MTV stood for, the M should stand for Music, not Moronic. Shutting it down would get rid of a lot of crappy reality shows.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cwf1701 on October 18, 2019, 03:19:05 PM
I would like to nominate MTV, not the same channel i watched in the 80s. People of my age miss what the M in MTV stood for, the M should stand for Music, not Moronic. Shutting it down would get rid of a lot of crappy reality shows.

I didn't even realize it was still around.  It certainly isn't carried as a regular channel on any cable providers I've had recently. 

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 18, 2019, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: cwf1701 on October 18, 2019, 03:19:05 PM

I didn't even realize it was still around.
I did, sadly.

ce929wax

I'm not a fan of using power to shut down businesses.  I'd rather let the market decide that.

Scott5114

Quote from: ce929wax on October 20, 2019, 02:30:41 AM
I'm not a fan of using power to shut down businesses.  I'd rather let the market decide that.

That would make the thread extremely boring, though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mark68

Conn's. In my experience, they can just go right ahead and take the last "n" off.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

dvferyance

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 12, 2019, 07:34:10 PM
I actually do miss Sears I agree on Kmart though when the closed the one near me like 15 years ago I was like I will never go to Kmart again.

JKRhodes

Quote from: qguy on September 13, 2019, 06:33:21 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 12, 2019, 11:25:50 AM

As a veteran I use USAA for all my banking. They have a smartphone app that I use to deposit checks by taking a picture of them. In virtually all cases the funds are available to me almost immediately.

Because the bank is located in San Antonio, TX, and USAA members are scattered all over the world, years ago the company devised various ways (using scanners, etc.) to deposit checks remotely and became the industry benchmark for that type of service. Other banks have now been copying them. I've been using my smartphone to deposit checks for around eight years, a home scanner for around ten years before that.

I've used ING Direct (Now Capital One 360) as my primary checking account for almost a decade now.  I routinely use the overdraft line of credit to cover gas and other small expenses right before payday, and have never paid an overdraft fee, just pennies in interest, which is almost always offset by the interest my checking account earns when it otherwise has money in it. My mobile app allows depositing checks, and I can pull cash virtually anywhere as long as I can find an Allpoint ATM.

The only thing I don't like is that there's nowhere local to deposit money orders or cash, so I keep an account with my local Chase branch and have my direct deposit setup to deposit just enough money to avoid a monthly service charge, just for that purpose.

I also have a GoBank debit card that comes with no fees since I occasionally drive for Uber. Along with a Varo Money account. I think both accounts offer the option of depositing cash at Wal-Mart, CVS or Walgreens, but I'm not sure what their policies are on money orders or two-party checks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.