New behavior for “Show new replies to your posts”

Started by briantroutman, June 10, 2020, 02:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

For me, the "Show new replies to your posts"  link at the top of the forum pages is one of the primary ways I navigate the boards.

Up until now, this "new replies"  list showed literally every thread in which I had posted at some point but that had subsequent posts that I had not yet read. And as a result, it was several pages long, with some threads I had posted in seven or eight years ago but hadn't revisited since.

But as of this morning, "new replies"  seems to have been modified to only show new replies since my last visit–which is currently just two.

Has anyone else noticed this change in behavior? And to the admins: Was this an intentional change in the forum setup or perhaps an something resulting from an SMF update?

If there's any choice between the former and latter behavior, I strongly prefer the former.

hotdogPi

You might have clicked "mark all messages as read" by accident.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

briantroutman

Perhaps, but I don't think that's the case, as it's not acting like a one-time reset. Unless I'm missing something, the behavior seems to persist going forward.

In other words, throughout the day today, threads appear to be dropping off the "Show new replies..."  list even though I haven't read the latest posts–instead, merely because there aren't new since my last visit.

Alps

rickmastfan67

Quote from: briantroutman on June 10, 2020, 04:34:10 PM
Perhaps, but I don't think that's the case, as it's not acting like a one-time reset. Unless I'm missing something, the behavior seems to persist going forward.

Odds are that you must be hitting the "mark all messages as read" button, or your bookmark to that page has the 'markread' part of the URL in it.

I personally haven't been having this issue, and I still have 2 threads on mine from 2018 listed that I honestly haven't felt like reading to mark them as read.

Roadgeekteen

2 pages of unread threads? I get OCD whenever new replies to your post is not empty so I click on everything, and when there are too many I mark all messages as read.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 11, 2020, 10:51:08 AM
2 pages of unread threads? I get OCD whenever new replies to your post is not empty so I click on everything, and when there are too many I mark all messages as read.

No, 2 'threads' that had a last post in 2018. lol.  Not 2 pages. :-D

tolbs17

How about add read recipients to know when people seen your posts?

webny99

Quote from: tolbs17 on June 12, 2020, 07:45:43 PM

That would make it a bit too much like text or instant messaging IMO. The forum is meant to be a place where you can read, comment, and exchange ideas at your own leisure.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: webny99 on June 12, 2020, 09:50:42 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on June 12, 2020, 07:45:43 PM

That would make it a bit too much like text or instant messaging IMO. The forum is meant to be a place where you can read, comment, and exchange ideas at your own leisure.

And I don't think there is such a mod for SMF anyways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.