News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RIP Internet Explorer

Started by LM117, May 22, 2021, 07:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

zachary_amaryllis

this probably isn't the problem it was years ago...

but i remember early on when i was doing some web design.. seemed like there was the html that ie understood.. and the html that the rest of the world used. all sorts of weird css workarounds to get stuff to display right.

don't want to start a browser war... (ok, so i do...)

but.. chrome > ie
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kevinb1994

What can I say, I'm not surprised...

It took this long to kill off a no-longer-necessary web browser. Nice.

SectorZ

It'll be interesting to see how many programs that use IE for some purpose that aren't maintained anymore will die with this change.

Quicken, for example, uses IE to update accounts. I presume over the next year they can fix how that works. Hell for all I know they use the built in IE parts in Edge to do it and maybe have done so for years.

JoePCool14

I honestly cannot remember the last time I unironically used Internet Explorer. Long live the Brave browser!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

vdeane

There are a couple of things I use IE for at work.  Namely some payment entries that use an Oracle database via a Java applet launched via the browser (shudder) and the photolog uses Silverlight.  It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.  Maybe it will be a good excuse to get rid of the shivs in my website to make things work reasonably properly in IE (then again, one of those shivs addresses behavior that only happens in Windows 7, so... maybe not).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

texaskdog

Edge is terrible, this makes me sad

texaskdog

Quote from: vdeane on May 22, 2021, 09:51:45 PM
There are a couple of things I use IE for at work.  Namely some payment entries that use an Oracle database via a Java applet launched via the browser (shudder) and the photolog uses Silverlight.  It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.  Maybe it will be a good excuse to get rid of the shivs in my website to make things work reasonably properly in IE (then again, one of those shivs addresses behavior that only happens in Windows 7, so... maybe not).

Edge converts my files to PDF.  IE converts them to excel, which is what I need.

tolbs17

In_Correct

Good. Now if we can also discontinue Microsoft Edge. 
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Brandon

Quote from: LM117 on May 22, 2021, 07:43:08 PM
Microsoft will finally put it out of it's misery on June 15, 2022.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/05/19/the-future-of-internet-explorer-on-windows-10-is-in-microsoft-edge/

Good riddance to bad rubbish.  When IE came out, there were already better browsers out there (Netscape anyone?).  The only reason IE made it is because Microsoft bundled it with Windows.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Max Rockatansky

I still use Internet Explorer at work.  As of late there has been a push to Microsoft Edge instead. 

In_Correct

Microsoft Internet Explorer was not even the First Internet Browser. It is more like one of the most recent ones.

I could not ever tolerate the annoying messages that you lose the entire page that was loaded. Instead a page length error message appeared. Other Internet Browsers such as Netscape did not redirect a successfully loaded Web Page. All of the Error Messages were in Window Boxes. And there were times if you clicked Stop, the other browsers kept your loaded Web Page. Clicking Stop on Internet Explorer resulted in a page long Error Message saying "Action Canceled".

And then a new and highly promoted Internet Explorer was in development. I was expecting that Internet Explorer would switch to error messages inside Window Boxes. Instead, Internet Explorer did not correct the issues, and all the other Internet Browsers switched to page long error messages. (!)

Today's Internet Browsers are and have been rubbish. It is unacceptable to have Internet Browsers increase R.A.M. consumption. The Web Design on most Web Sites makes it impossible to navigate. Error Messages are worse than ever. They actually have Mascots (!) that dance around all the time.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

cwf1701

for the last 10 years, IE was the browser to get another browser.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

Does that mean I have to rewrite a report at work?  It uses SQL Server Reporting Service, which doesn't work with Chrome.  The job that produces the report sends out an email to the users notifying them to look for it.  Part of that email is a line that says they must use IE, Chrome doesn't work.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 23, 2021, 02:55:48 PM
Will anyone miss it?

I wouldn't say that I'm going to miss it, Bob

Bruce

Fun fact, until recently the mandatory bank authentication service in South Korea required the use of Internet Explorer for most online purchases. A hazard of being forward-thinking in 1999 but not keeping pace.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/due-to-security-law-south-korea-is-stuck-with-internet-explorer-for-online-shopping/2013/11/03/ffd2528a-3eff-11e3-b028-de922d7a3f47_story.html

In_Correct

I Hate "Unsupported Browser.".

Scott5114

Quote from: In_Correct on May 23, 2021, 12:17:44 PM
Today's Internet Browsers are and have been rubbish. It is unacceptable to have Internet Browsers increase R.A.M. consumption. The Web Design on most Web Sites makes it impossible to navigate. Error Messages are worse than ever. They actually have Mascots (!) that dance around all the time.

Well, the root cause of the problem is that Web browsers are expected to serve as an entire OS unto themselves at this point. In order to be compatible with every Web application possible now, browsers have to support an entire scripting language (JavaScript), a video player, multitasking (tabs), a database server (Web Storage), a drawing API (<canvas>), and more. Much of that functionality is redundant with the OS's own windowing system and drawing API.

The upside means that we have a lot of functionality available that doesn't care what kind of device or operating system you're running now. So many things that were long ago executables that you had to install locally run through the Web browser now. But the downside is that supporting all of that functionality takes a hell of a lot of RAM. If you try to use a browser with the same resource footprint of Netscape Navigator 4.08 you might be able to access Wikipedia and AARoads and that's it. It just wouldn't support enough features to handle anything more complicated.

Quote from: GaryV on May 23, 2021, 03:00:50 PM
Does that mean I have to rewrite a report at work?  It uses SQL Server Reporting Service, which doesn't work with Chrome.  The job that produces the report sends out an email to the users notifying them to look for it.  Part of that email is a line that says they must use IE, Chrome doesn't work.

Occupational hazard of tying yourself to a non-open-source software stack, unfortunately. A less-fragile way of going about it would have been to do all that functionality in Python or Perl and have that query the SQL server using, well, SQL.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ozarkman417

Farewell to the best Chrome/Firefox installer there ever was.

Yet, there was a time where IE refused to work on my PC, so I used Google Earth's built in browser to install Chrome.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 23, 2021, 07:48:34 PM
Farewell to the best Chrome/Firefox installer there ever was.

Yet, there was a time where IE refused to work on my PC, so I used Google Earth's built in browser to install Chrome.
How would you install google earth?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

It will be interesting to see how "IE mode" handles things.  It theoretically could handle the rendering side well, but there are differences in how Edge and IE function that go beyond rendering, and those can become important.  IE, for example, will allow you to open a downloaded file without permanently saving it somewhere.  Such functionality is rare these days - when IE goes, Firefox will be the only browser I'm aware of that still allows it, so if a site needs both that and IE mode, you'll be out of luck.

Quote from: In_Correct on May 23, 2021, 12:08:27 AM
Good. Now if we can also discontinue Microsoft Edge. 
And then we'd practically have a browser monoculture not unlike what we had when IE became dominant over Netscape.  This monoculture is what led to IE ignoring standards and then deciding it didn't need to evolve for a decade.  IE6 had virtually no competition, and it shows.

These days, the monoculture gives Google control of the internet.  Granted, Edge isn't a great defense against that as it's based on Chromium (the open source version of Chrome), and Google is already throwing their weight around.  Just witness their effort to eviscerate the synchronization API in non-Chrome browsers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.