News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Music. Videos of the 80’s

Started by roadman65, June 30, 2021, 10:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

When I see videos like theses back in the day before some of the participants became famous, viewing them now is like " Oh wow, look x is in it!"  However at the time x was unknown so was just another face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=616-QGQyx-I
This is Wild Nights by Talking Heads. Many of us at the time referred to it as " Will the real David Byrne Please Stand Up"  as the video features many people lip sinking to David Byrne throughout the video including  John Goodman before he became known as Dan Connor. However Byrne did appear three times in the video with his trademark zombie look the third time.

What other famous videos do you like and remember stars in them now that were nobody at the time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Wesley Snipes in Bad and Joe Pesci in Smooth Criminal come to mind. 

ErmineNotyours

(A post-80s example:) Jack Black in the Foo Fighter's "Learn to Fly"

An 80s example: David Bowie's "Fashion".  This video was in regular rotation the first year I had the service, then it dropped out.  Then it was put back into circulation, with the vjays pointing out that fellow vjay Alan Hunter had been in the video the whole time, but no one had noticed.  He's the one wearing the striped shirt in the dance studio and the big nose on the street.

OCGuy81

Courtney Cox was in the video for Bruce Springsteen's "Dancin in the Dark".

I also remember Chevy Chase in the video for "You Can Call me Al" by Paul Simon.

OCGuy81

If you want to go 90's, you had Alicia Silverstone and Liv Tyler in the Aerosmith videos.

Sigh! I was in middle school at the time those were popular, and the videos were the next best thing next to Friday night Cinemax.  :awesomeface:

hbelkins

I never got into the video craze, with the exception of Headbangers Ball on MTV. They would occasionally play a video from some new band and I'd be introduced to them that way. First time I ever heard Slayer was when they played the "War Ensemble" video.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

OCGuy81

Quote from: hbelkins on July 01, 2021, 10:27:09 AM
I never got into the video craze, with the exception of Headbangers Ball on MTV. They would occasionally play a video from some new band and I'd be introduced to them that way. First time I ever heard Slayer was when they played the "War Ensemble" video.

Yes! Headbanger's Ball was awesome.  I liked Yo! MTV Raps as well.

I'm old...I remember videos on MTV.

nexus73

"Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits and "You Got Another Thing Coming" by Judas Priest were two of my favorite MTV videos.  It was quite the format for introducing new music back then but did it ever fade away.  That was surprising given how good a setup music videos are for getting people to like a song.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

roadman65

David Gilmore from Pink Floyd was in Steve Perry's Oh Sherrie which introduced Perry's solo talent to the world.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JayhawkCO

Quote from: OCGuy81 on July 01, 2021, 10:28:15 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 01, 2021, 10:27:09 AM

Yes! Headbanger's Ball was awesome.  I liked Yo! MTV Raps as well.

I'm old...I remember videos on MTV.

120 Minutes was great too. 

Chris

dlsterner

Quote from: roadman65 on June 30, 2021, 10:51:19 PM
When I see videos like theses back in the day before some of the participants became famous, viewing them now is like " Oh wow, look x is in it!"  However at the time x was unknown so was just another face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=616-QGQyx-I
This is Wild Nights Wild Wild Life by Talking Heads. Many of us at the time referred to it as " Will the real David Byrne Please Stand Up"  as the video features many people lip sinking to David Byrne throughout the video including  John Goodman before he became known as Dan Connor. However Byrne did appear three times in the video with his trademark zombie look the third time.

What other famous videos do you like and remember stars in them now that were nobody at the time.
FTFY

dlsterner

OK, so I'm cheating a bit as this is the early 70s and not the 80s, but here is T. Rex doing "Bang A Gong (Get It On)" in 1971.  Wonder whatever happened to that anonymous piano player in the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkt-TPMU_lg

bwana39

Quote from: dlsterner on July 01, 2021, 08:45:35 PM

OK, so I'm cheating a bit as this is the early 70s and not the 80s, but here is T. Rex doing "Bang A Gong (Get It On)" in 1971.  Wonder whatever happened to that anonymous piano player in the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkt-TPMU_lg

Probably playing in an old abandoned baseball park in Texas in the fall?
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

ErmineNotyours

I think the OP is looking for famous people in videos before they were stars.  Courtney Cox in "Dancing In the Dark" is one I wish I thought of first!

zachary_amaryllis

more 90's or perhaps even 00's..

check out christopher walken in fatboy slim's 'weapon of choice'

sorry, slow link so i can't get to youtube to post a link.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

jakeroot

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 02, 2021, 09:26:01 AM
check out christopher walken in fatboy slim's 'weapon of choice'

Spike Jonze also plays a huge role in Fatboy Slim's music video for 'Praise You'.

Norman Cook makes a nice cameo too:

https://youtu.be/ruAi4VBoBSM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.