News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Seattle Airport South Concourse Sky Bridge

Started by roadman65, July 14, 2021, 08:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I see like Phoenix now Seattle features a bridge over the planes.  It also has a rail line with trains that take you to or from it.

I take the Sky Bridge is for international passengers disembarked?  You can not use it unless you did arrive outside the US?

Anyway think the bridge is neat.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

The bridge is part of the new International Arrivals Facility, which replaces the current customs area in the basement of the South Satellite Terminal. So yes, it is only for international arrivals.

The project is also way behind schedule and won't open until 2022 or 2023.

Fun fact: It's also the longest bridge over an active taxiway, at 780 feet, and will have one of the longest escalators in the country. (Source)

I-39

Quote from: Bruce on July 14, 2021, 08:43:14 PM
The bridge is part of the new International Arrivals Facility, which replaces the current customs area in the basement of the South Satellite Terminal. So yes, it is only for international arrivals.

The project is also way behind schedule and won't open until 2022 or 2023.

Fun fact: It's also the longest bridge over an active taxiway, at 780 feet, and will have one of the longest escalators in the country. ([url-https://www.portseattle.org/blog/five-fast-facts-about-iaf-pedestrian-walkway]Source[/url])

I thought it was suppose to open this year?

Bruce

Quote from: I-39 on July 14, 2021, 10:33:26 PM
I thought it was suppose to open this year?

It was originally supposed to open in 2019. The latest opening was pushed back to September 2021, but it could get pushed into next year.

lepidopteran

There's a similar sky bridge at the new Terminal B at New York's LaGuardia (LGA).  A second bridge is under construction.

roadman65

So the people I saw within it were workers then?  That means all arrivals in the South Concourse has to use the Blue Line Loop to get to the main terminal?

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

Quote from: roadman65 on July 16, 2021, 12:13:32 AM
So the people I saw within it were workers then?  That means all arrivals in the South Concourse has to use the Blue Line Loop to get to the main terminal?

Yes, they'd be workers.

International arrivals would use the bridge instead of the people mover, while non-international arrivals and all departures would continue to use the people mover.

Fun fact: the South Loop's trains and stations are actually divided so that post-customs arrivals can either use a dedicated car to the baggage claim area or go through the TSA checkpoint and use the other two "sterile" cars to reach the rest of the airport. It's pretty clever.

jakeroot

My father is a pilot. He managed to snag a quick picture a few weeks ago while inspecting his plane:

SeaTac Sky Bridge Wide by Jacob Root ['s Dad], on Flickr

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Bruce on July 16, 2021, 03:20:34 AM

Fun fact: the South Loop's trains and stations are actually divided so that post-customs arrivals can either use a dedicated car to the baggage claim area or go through the TSA checkpoint and use the other two "sterile" cars to reach the rest of the airport. It's pretty clever.

I haven't been in the South Satellite in decades.  When I was last there, there were large single digit numbers over the peoplemover doors.  Only when you peeked in the window for the International Arrivals section could you see other numbers of the same font, so the numbers on the subway door were the final guide for the arriving passengers to follow.  I hope I get a chance to ride the conveyance again before they remove the station because I would like to see it from inside the train.

roadman65

Kamila does the same on their skytrain. Two cars are for International Arrivals pre customs and the other is for Domestic Travelers. Different stations the train pulls into to keep separate.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.