News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Funniest threads

Started by tolbs17, July 17, 2021, 02:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

So you created that thread solely so it could get an entry here?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

tolbs17

Quote from: 1 on July 25, 2021, 04:51:17 PM
Peekaboo or the young life one?

hotdogPi

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 04:54:02 PM

The first one, unless you're a time traveler.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

tolbs17

Quote from: 1 on July 25, 2021, 04:55:07 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 04:54:02 PM

The first one, unless you're a time traveler.
Nah, cause many people have played that game where I hide behind a wall and they peep out!

Scott5114

The "Peekaboo!" thread was just you saying "I see you". Okay, so–

WHO is going to want to read that thread?
WHAT is going to be posted in it?
WHY would anyone else have a reason to read it?
HOW does that thread's existence benefit anyone but yourself?

Remember, you are not the only person on this forum. Your actions here affect the quality of the forum for everyone else. This isn't a site like Facebook that is so large that nobody will notice what you do. Fill the site with garbage and nobody else will want to come around here. Or you'll get kicked out before it can get to that point.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 04:56:32 PM
peep

Oh, you're Bandit now? That explains the no-content thread perfectly.

(Note: if this thread would get locked, instead delete all posts in the side discussion.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

formulanone

A Modest Proposal
Quote from: Alps on November 26, 2013, 04:45:25 PM
So this is why you wanted a 200,000 character post limit?
Quote from: corco on November 26, 2013, 04:47:36 PM
What would you say if I said this was not the reason I wanted a 200,000 character post limit?

Interstate 2 (Immgration Freedomway)
Quote from: Eisenhower on February 10, 2012, 08:23:24 PM
Guys......let's not be so critical. This is Fictional Highways, where anything is possible....even a network of vertically stacked interstates which would have names such as "A-40" all the way up to "Z-40" (Z denoting the highest elevation), which I am working on as we speak. I also would like to collaborate with FritzOwl on a post-Pangaea II system of global freeways. You can never have too much preparation.

I-2 (actually a few months later)
(I think many of us freaked out when suffixed interstates returned.)

Funniest Signs
Quote from: hbelkins on February 01, 2010, 10:19:09 PM
In the early 1970s, Austin Peay had a star basketplayer named James Williams. His nickname was "Fly."

What did their students chant? "Our Fly is open, let's go Peay!"

Alanland, for a while there.

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 04:56:56 PM

Remember, you are not the only person on this forum. Your actions here affect the quality of the forum for everyone else. This isn't a site like Facebook that is so large that nobody will notice what you do. Fill the site with garbage and nobody else will want to come around here. Or you'll get kicked out before it can get to that point.
Who will read that thread? Roadgeekteen?
What will be posted in it - I see you?
Why? - Cause it seems silly?
Cause I think they have babies.

Mary Hannah told me to start that thread.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 05:03:23 PM

You do know you've just become the "peekaboo"  guy right?

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 25, 2021, 05:09:41 PM

Are you serious... well she's the one that lured me to make that thread in the AARoads forum...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 05:11:18 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 25, 2021, 05:09:41 PM

Are you serious... well she's the one that lured me to make that thread in the AARoads forum...

Yes, and please expound on Mary Hannah is.  Is "peekaboo"  a catch phrase she frequently says?

Scott5114

Why didn't you just PM him then? Or email it to him? Facebook Messenger?

QuoteWhat will be posted in it - I see you?
So how does that lead to an interesting discussion? Didn't that just waste everyone's time? Isn't wasting people's time rude?

QuoteWhy? - Cause it seems silly?
This isn't a baby-raising forum. I doubt Roadgeekteen has babies. I don't have babies. Actually, I think there are fewer people that have children of any age on this forum than those that don't.

QuoteMary Hannah told me to start that thread.

Who the fuck is she, and why should anyone care what she wants if she's not a member here?

ozarkman417

When I saw the Peek-a-boo thread, I just could not, in a figurative sense, continue to click on it and scroll through it. It's gone now, so maybe I should have.

I have no idea who this Mary Hannah is, but when someone tells you to do something, especially involving others, give it some thought before continuing. Friends or other peers at school have asked me to do stupid shit to other people but I usually think twice before going through with it. Those other times? Yeah, didn't go so well for me. I don't know about you all, but through the modern education system, I cannot begin to count the number of times teachers, videos, posters, etc have told me to "think before you post [on the internet]".

Unless you can hack my webcam successfully, Tolbs will not be seeing me  :coffee:

hotdogPi

If (just picking a name) Hassan Rouhani told you to create a thread revealing your credit card number and social security number, would you do so?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 05:17:40 PM

So how does that lead to an interesting discussion? Didn't that just waste everyone's time? Isn't wasting people's time rude?

This isn't a baby-raising forum. I doubt Roadgeekteen has babies. I don't have babies. Actually, I think there are fewer people that have children of any age on this forum than those that don't.

Who the fuck is she, and why should anyone care what she wants if she's not a member here?
1. I don't have my PMing privileges,

2. Yes, maybe I should have NOT started that thread as it's pointless to just get people's attention but it wasn't all done by me.

3. I've seen people at this age have kids, and they take them to Chuck-E-cheese, Marbles, or any fun park and some of them talk about what they do and don't like.

4. An ECU graduate and I feel like she told me to do that cause I probably was bored and had nothing to do...

5 (Ozarkman417) - And good for you.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 05:25:30 PM

2. Yes, maybe I should have NOT started that thread as it's pointless to just get people's attention but it wasn't all done by me.

3. I've seen people at this age have kids, and they take them to Chuck-E-cheese, Marbles, or any fun park and some of them talk about what they do and don't like.

4. An ECU graduate and I feel like she told me to do that cause I probably was bored and had nothing to do...

You know there things we call roads you could check out if you are bored.

Also, who IS Mary Hannah?  Is this a real person?

Scott5114

Mary Hannah seems like an idiot.

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 25, 2021, 05:29:51 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 05:25:30 PM

You know there things we call roads you could check out if you are bored.

Also, who IS Mary Hannah?  Is this a real person?
Yes.

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 05:33:04 PM
Mary Hannah seems like an idiot.
And I know right... Next time I won't listen to her.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 03:03:01 PM
And more to the point, chances are it will lead to people arguing eventually. We don't want flamefests here, cause if people are pissed off at each other, 1) one person in the fight might decide "fuck it" and quit the forum (and if that happens enough, the forum dies), 2) someone who isn't involved in the fight sees it, goes "wow I don't want to be around this shit" and quits the forum (and if that happens enough, the forum dies), 3) depending on the section, someone who is considering joining the forum might decide not to (and if there aren't new people joining the forum, eventually it will die), or 4) it means more work for the admins and mods trying to keep the above from happening.

All of the above are contributing factors to why MTR died. And you know where you can find people arguing about stuff like that? Facebook. Twitter. Now, consider this: why do we want that sort of environment here? And if you do want that sort of environment, why not just go to Facebook and Twitter and bask in it there instead of bringing the garbage here where we don't want it?

If a thread isn't violating the rules, then–in my opinion–it shouldn't be locked just in case the conversation might eventually end up with people arguing.  A thread shouldn't be locked until either (a) it actually violates an actual rule or (b) people actually engage in an actual argument that's actually full of such vitriol to cause problems.  Pre-emptive locking is, in my opinion, too heavy-handed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on July 25, 2021, 02:47:17 PM
Invariably any discussion about race is about politics.

Bullshit.  Cultural anthropologists talk about race all the time without getting political about it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 25, 2021, 06:15:44 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 03:03:01 PM
And more to the point, chances are it will lead to people arguing eventually. We don't want flamefests here, cause if people are pissed off at each other, 1) one person in the fight might decide "fuck it" and quit the forum (and if that happens enough, the forum dies), 2) someone who isn't involved in the fight sees it, goes "wow I don't want to be around this shit" and quits the forum (and if that happens enough, the forum dies), 3) depending on the section, someone who is considering joining the forum might decide not to (and if there aren't new people joining the forum, eventually it will die), or 4) it means more work for the admins and mods trying to keep the above from happening.

All of the above are contributing factors to why MTR died. And you know where you can find people arguing about stuff like that? Facebook. Twitter. Now, consider this: why do we want that sort of environment here? And if you do want that sort of environment, why not just go to Facebook and Twitter and bask in it there instead of bringing the garbage here where we don't want it?

If a thread isn't violating the rules, then–in my opinion–it shouldn't be locked just in case the conversation might eventually end up with people arguing.  A thread shouldn't be locked until either (a) it actually violates an actual rule or (b) people actually engage in an actual argument that's actually full of such vitriol to cause problems.  Pre-emptive locking is, in my opinion, too heavy-handed.

My statement was meant less from the point of view of a moderator and more of that of someone posting to the forum. There have been some times when I have started to post a new topic, paused, thought about what kind of posts it is likely to attract, then hit the back button instead of completing the post because I realized it could go sideways if it ran off along a particular tangent. I think most of us have had that experience.

From a moderation standpoint I tend to agree with you. There have been a few threads where I've sighed when they were posted and thought "yeah, this one's gonna go downhill fast" and yet they didn't. It's all very much on a case-by-case basis.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 25, 2021, 06:16:54 PM

Bullshit.  Cultural anthropologists talk about race all the time without getting political about it.

Cultural anthropologists know a lot more about the topic of race than your average forum poster does, so they have a lot to discuss about it besides the political.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 07:12:59 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 25, 2021, 06:16:54 PM

Cultural anthropologists know a lot more about the topic of race than your average forum poster does, so they have a lot to discuss about it besides the political.

But I bring up a race and there's crickets chirping.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JoePCool14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 25, 2021, 10:22:46 PM
Why is this pinned?

I think someone meant to lock this.  :-D

Now tolbs can claim to having a pinned thread.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.