News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why is South Carolina still building roads on top of Black communities?

Started by Otto Yamamoto, July 27, 2023, 01:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

The proposed roadway is an extension of a roadway named El Bethel Rd., located here: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8526194,-79.0988081,2331m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu. In addition, here is a handout of the proposed corridor I found online from a 2019 PIM: http://info2.scdot.org/projects/ViewerFiles/P031826%20-%20Conway%20Perimeter%20Phase%20II%20-%20PIM%20Handout%2007302019.pdf. Is this perimeter road really needed? If the locals don't want it, maybe it shouldn't be built.

kalvado

... on top of communities...
---taking 6 (six) properties...

I wonder if any new construction without affecting at least some existing properties is possible? 

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RoadPelican

Tough break for Conway and Horry County, but something needs to be done. I last visited the area in March 2021 on a weekday, weeks before spring break and the Conway historic district was nice but it is way too congested for a small town, and there is already a US 501 Bypass but Business 501 is just as busy.

Myrtle Beach has been sprawling into Conway since the 1990's and now the sprawl of the last 30 years is turning Conway from a quaint town into a bustling suburb.

The SC 22 Expressway should have been built closer to Conway, it is too empty.

I wonder if this Conway Perimeter is going to be a part of the SELL (Southern Evacuation Lifeline) project?

PColumbus73

Quote from: RoadPelican on July 28, 2023, 06:58:18 PM
Tough break for Conway and Horry County, but something needs to be done. I last visited the area in March 2021 on a weekday, weeks before spring break and the Conway historic district was nice but it is way too congested for a small town, and there is already a US 501 Bypass but Business 501 is just as busy.

Myrtle Beach has been sprawling into Conway since the 1990's and now the sprawl of the last 30 years is turning Conway from a quaint town into a bustling suburb.

The SC 22 Expressway should have been built closer to Conway, it is too empty.

I wonder if this Conway Perimeter is going to be a part of the SELL (Southern Evacuation Lifeline) project?

The SELL highway would be further out. It would start where SC 22 meets US 501 and roughly follow Pee Dee Hwy and meet US 17 near Surfside Beach.

The Conway Perimeter would just be a surface road, not an expressway. I've heard some people talk about a third bridge across the Waccamaw River, south of the 501 bridge, if it were to happen, it might extend to SC 544, but I don't think there have been any serious plans.

bwana39

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Concrete Bob

Nah..."British tabloid" is an absolutely perfect description.

Georgia

The Guardian is hardly a tabloid, you are thinking of Daily Mail, the Mirror or the Sun

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe we should focus more on the story, and less on the source.

kalvado

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 06, 2023, 04:53:08 PM
Story is pretty obvious - there is some use of imminent domain to run a new road. Article makes it sound as if entire neighborhood is going to be destroyed. It's not that 6 properties have no impact - especially for property owners - but substance of the story doesn't match presenting.
Overall, this pretty much qualifies the source as tabloid, not the other way around. You know,  if it swims like a duck...

MBHockey13

Quote from: kalvado on August 07, 2023, 06:02:41 AM
Story is pretty obvious - there is some use of imminent domain to run a new road. Article makes it sound as if entire neighborhood is going to be destroyed. It's not that 6 properties have no impact - especially for property owners - but substance of the story doesn't match presenting.
Overall, this pretty much qualifies the source as tabloid, not the other way around. You know,  if it swims like a duck...

Correct - and The Guardian is actually below the standard British tabloid in accurate news reporting.

FightingIrish

Quote from: MBHockey13 on August 10, 2023, 12:08:19 PM
Quote from: kalvado on August 07, 2023, 06:02:41 AM

Correct - and The Guardian is actually below the standard British tabloid in accurate news reporting.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.