AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Merging Problems  (Read 9179 times)

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
Re: Merging Problems
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »

Here in my area, the problem isn't people merging onto freeways/interstates. The SCDOT often adds accel lanes at intersections with major divided highways ( like US 17 & 501 here in the Myrtle Beach area). The reason I stated that people seem to be using them wrong is because, as I mentioned above, is that drivers with inch along in the accel lane at somewhere around 5 MPH meanwhile trying to find a gap in traffic doing at around 55 MPH.

I think a lot of it is due to driver impatience, US 17 in the Myrtle Beach area has an AADT of around 35,000. I also think inattentive drivers are part of the problem in situations where traffic is not as heavy.
I assume you're talking about light-controlled intersections? Then IMHO that just illustrates that dense traffic doesn't have enough merge opportunities. This is not about technique, this is more about a design concept not fully applicable to existing conditions, such as traffic volume. Doesn't mean it has to be removed if extra accidents are not created, it probably works just fine outside peak periods.

I see the behavior around here at cloverleaf-type weaves.  The merging vehicle doesn't accelerate in the shared accel/decel lane in order to match traffic, but rather comes to full stop for no reason, waiting for a gap in the adjacent lane, when the driver could easily find a nice gap if she'd just get up to speed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 06:34:42 PM »

I hate it when people do that on a cloverleaf... especially if I'm right behind them and get forced to do that myself.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

• Last Login: Today at 05:23:46 AM
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 08:07:40 PM »

I hate it when people do that on a cloverleaf... especially if I'm right behind them and get forced to do that myself.
And if traffic in right lane is dense enough, you may find yourself in a situation when there is not much to do. For example if there is a traffic light just upstream of the cloverleaf....

machias

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:02:10 AM
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »

Some of the entrance ramps on the NYS Thruway have an extended acceleration lane. Quite often, at least between Syracuse and Albany, drivers will creep down the entrance ramp at 35-45 and then immediately jump into the right hand travel lane, ignoring the extended acceleration/merging lane. There have been a few situations where I actually sped up to 65, remaining in the lane, passing the person in front of me on the right and on my way. I don't like doing that and I've been honked at once or twice for making that move, but the acceleration lane is there to get up to speed and match freeway speeds to merge in. I'll always use as much of the acceleration lane/taper to do so.

signalman

• It's not the destination, but the trip to/from it

• Last Login: Today at 05:50:48 AM
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »

There have been a few situations where I actually sped up to 65, remaining in the lane, passing the person in front of me on the right and on my way. I don't like doing that and I've been honked at once or twice for making that move, but the acceleration lane is there to get up to speed and match freeway speeds to merge in. I'll always use as much of the acceleration lane/taper to do so.
I've done this plenty of times over the years and have occasionally been honked at too.  Sometimes a one finger salute accompanies it.  I agree that the acceleration lane is there for a reason and it's their fault for not utilizing it.

texaskdog

• Last Login: Today at 12:01:24 AM
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »

There have been a few situations where I actually sped up to 65, remaining in the lane, passing the person in front of me on the right and on my way. I don't like doing that and I've been honked at once or twice for making that move, but the acceleration lane is there to get up to speed and match freeway speeds to merge in. I'll always use as much of the acceleration lane/taper to do so.
I've done this plenty of times over the years and have occasionally been honked at too.  Sometimes a one finger salute accompanies it.  I agree that the acceleration lane is there for a reason and it's their fault for not utilizing it.

Wave back it will drive them crazy

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »

Or a large, grinning smile.  Or blow them a kiss!

signalman

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 12:14:54 PM »

I usually wave.

kalvado

• Last Login: Today at 05:23:46 AM
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 12:58:28 PM »

I usually wave.

Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave!

slorydn1

• If I pass you on the right, you're doing it wrong.

• Last Login: April 26, 2023, 04:25:13 PM
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 05:36:07 AM »

I was taught to salute back when saluted, LOL.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

signalman

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 10:20:41 AM »

I have a buddy who will moon people if he's flipped off (yes, even when driving somehow)

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »

I have a buddy who will moon people if he's flipped off (yes, even when driving somehow)

He'd rarely cover his ass around Chicago then.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.