News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Texas votes to ban red light cameras statewide

Started by austrini, May 23, 2009, 09:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrini

The Texas state house voted 107-36 earlier this month to ban red light cameras statewide. The bill will now go to the state senate for a vote, where it is expected to pass. Local news has noted that red light cameras generally do not generate the revenue that they are supposed to and tend to cause more rear-end accidents. They were put up here several years ago, I am not sure when, and there seem to be more every day. The are required to be well signed in advance, and there is a big camera icon on a sign before you reach the intersection.

The bill allows for cities who have red light contracts to keep them until they run out. Of course, cities are extending 5 year contracts with red light camera operators to insane lengths. Arlington (pop 450,000) just extended its red light contract to 20 years last week after the house vote.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

74/171FAN

Quote from: austrini on May 23, 2009, 09:31:49 AM
The Texas state house voted 107-36 earlier this month to ban red light cameras statewide. The bill will now go to the state senate for a vote, where it is expected to pass. Local news has noted that red light cameras generally do not generate the revenue that they are supposed to and tend to cause more rear-end accidents. They were put up here several years ago, I am not sure when, and there seem to be more every day. The are required to be well signed in advance, and there is a big camera icon on a sign before you reach the intersection.

The bill allows for cities who have red light contracts to keep them until they run out. Of course, cities are extending 5 year contracts with red light camera operators to insane lengths. Arlington (pop 450,000) just extended its red light contract to 20 years last week after the house vote.
The link gave me a 404.  Anyhow a traffic camera ban that won't be effect in some areas until 2027 or later is astounding at how these cities just want revenue :banghead:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

austrini

Ha, evidently the TV station took it down, I posted a new link - sorry about that.

It is a bit ridiculous but the vitriolic hate against red light cameras is so pervasive here I bet lots of elected city officials will be getting voted out. And, not all cities are extending their contracts, so far just two out of 60-or-so in the region.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.