TxDot must cease all operations by September 1, 2010

Started by austrini, June 24, 2009, 08:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrini

In Texas, certain state agencies have to be re-authorized periodically to stay around. TxDot, the state's department of transportation, is one of them. I think the reason they do this is so the agencies can be reviewed and whatnot, and unnecessary programs can be killed off. It's usually something very minor. However, the state legislature refused to re-authorize the agency for numerous reasons. As of now, TxDot must cease all operations by September 1, 2010. The agency has until September 1 of this year to operate normally, and then one year to prepare to go out of business. If the state legislature does not do anything, the agency will cease to exist and no one will be around to build or maintain our state transportation infrastructure.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-txdot_03met.ART.State.Edition1.512f7aa.html

Although no one expects this to happen, the state will have to have a special legislative session to re-up TxDot. If they don't do that, or if they do and cannot agree on how to restructure the agency and get nothing done, it will. Most of the fighting comes over a local option tax pushed by the DFW reps... saying that local areas should be allowed to vote in extra taxes on themselves to pay for things like regional rail and freeway expansions in their areas. Most representatives from rural areas and the governor are very against the idea.

I secretly forsee some kind of awful private PepsiCo / NASCAR toll road where I-35 used to be, though.

AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

mightyace

Quote from: austrini on June 24, 2009, 08:32:48 PM
I secretly forsee some kind of awful private PepsiCo / NASCAR toll road where I-35 used to be, though.

But at least a NASCAR toll road would have a 200 mph speed limit!  :-D
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

austrini

AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Hellfighter

SSOWorld

well this is a country where advertisements rule over the poeple. :rolleyes:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.