News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 19, 2015, 09:02:14 AM
I've seen this sort of thing in other places, though never with quite that much of a gap between roads, and I think that's exactly right. In a few cases, I've seen "Except Emergency Vehicles" underneath.

I was under the notion that people didn't drive off the road to get to their house when a road can be used to access it. I guess some of the Hunterdon County homeowners here have other thoughts.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

Quote from: Zeffy on July 19, 2015, 09:13:06 AM
I've seen this sort of thing in other places, though never with quite that much of a gap between roads, and I think that's exactly right. In a few cases, I've seen "Except Emergency Vehicles" underneath.

I was under the notion that people didn't drive off the road to get to their house when a road can be used to access it. I guess some of the Hunterdon County homeowners here have other thoughts.

It might depend on how far around it is by road.

I can't make the Street View display using Google Maps' website on my iPad, but if you look at the location linked below, the Street View along George Mason Boulevard should show similar "Do Not Enter Except Emergency Vehicle" signs near Courtney Drive, Trowbridge Street, and the stub end of University Drive. University Drive used to be the through street (notice how if you pan north it continues as a disconnected piece), but when George Mason Boulevard was built the one part was truncated. The residents had long complained of speeding and the like. But I guess it's far enough around that they wanted a short way for ambulances and fire trucks to get through, so they built these "grasscrete" cut-throughs and then they found the residents using them because it's a much shorter way through.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8400698,-77.308568,18z
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alex4897

My guess: That residential street used to extend to the main road itself and the sign denotes where the old entrance was.  I've seen plenty of examples of strange signage where an intersection was removed.  (this is only based off of street view, I can't seem to get it to show me the location on satellite. mobile FTL)
👉😎👉

1995hoo

Quote from: Alex4897 on July 19, 2015, 09:31:28 AM

My guess: That residential street used to extend to the main road itself and the sign denotes where the old entrance was.  I've seen plenty of examples of strange signage where an intersection was removed.  (this is only based off of street view, I can't seem to get it to show me the location on satellite. mobile FTL)

I was able to view the satellite view on my iPad. The grass does look somewhat different on a straight line from the cul-de-sac to the main road, but I can't tell what the reason is.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Alex4897 on July 19, 2015, 09:31:28 AM

Speaking of strange signage at a closed street.........
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.913186,-84.544384,3a,15y,233.01h,90.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4xngFrIYIUz9KPJxXVwpig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The signage makes it seem that you must turn right into the grass to get to Litton Lane. I don't think that street ever actually went to the modern Madison Pike because it currently ends at the old alignment of KY 17.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

jeffandnicole

This isn't the first time I've seen something like this. A development near me had the same issue: easy access from another street but no road was created to join it. Some people drove across the grass to save the trouble of a fairly lengthy drive to get to their development.  I think there they used a chain to get people from stop crossing the grass.

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 18, 2015, 01:17:26 AM
Quote from: odditude on July 17, 2015, 03:04:59 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 17, 2015, 02:19:00 PM
While this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/Bng2Y in itself isn't unusual, the location defining it as a 'residential' area is.  https://goo.gl/maps/BrfPu

Plus, it's a bit small and low for most truckers.
US 1 immediately passes by several residential complexes after going over NJ 29 - it's not inappropriate here.

No, US 1 immediately passes over a river after going over NJ 29. Want to prohibit truckers from using the Jake brake?  Simply say "Jake Brake Prohibited".   And make it larger. And place it at the height of truckers' windshields.
my mistake - I thought this was on the NB side. definitely not residential on the Morrisville side.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

busman_49

i71signgrovecity_201307 by Ryan busman_49, on Flickr
Grove City has a bunch of these around town.  It just doesn't look right.

noelbotevera

Quote from: busman_49 on July 22, 2015, 07:37:42 AM
If you squint a little bit you can see they used the wrong font  :-D

Ok, it is interesting (one piece directional), but maybe put the TO and right arrow on top of the I-71 shield instead of the bottom. This is what I interpret the assembly as:

I-71 TO RIGHT

Sounds weird, doesn't it?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

SignGeek101

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 22, 2015, 09:00:01 AM
Quote from: busman_49 on July 22, 2015, 07:37:42 AM
If you squint a little bit you can see they used the wrong font  :-D

Yes, Series E was used instead of Series D. Took me a second to see that.

Looks like a lazy attempt at a unisign to me. Not terrible though.

jakeroot

Quote from: SectorZ on July 22, 2015, 10:23:42 PM
Dascomb Rd at Clark Rd in Andover, MA. The sign is somewhat unnecessary, but is very nicely done.

More best of material, in my opinion.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

noelbotevera

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 23, 2015, 10:39:27 PM
Another odd one in Shelbyville, TN:
Fire Trucks Entering by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
"Gee honey, where are those fire trucks coming from! Maybe that pole with a flag seems like it! It should mark the fire station's driveway!"
"No way! That doesn't look like a fire station with large garages that store fire trucks!"

Pointless plaque is pointless.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

SignGeek101

DaBigE

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 23, 2015, 10:31:46 PM
Signs for a 24-hour school zone in Bell Buckle, TN:
24 Hour School Zone by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
8 inch McCain School Beacon by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

What's the point of a 24-hour school zone? I assume it's just so they can collect higher fines?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

JMoses24

West Galbraith Road just west of Vine Street/Springfield Pike (which is OH State Route 4) in the Hartwell neighborhood of Cincinnati. First I've ever seen.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: DaBigE on July 24, 2015, 12:18:23 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 23, 2015, 10:31:46 PM
Signs for a 24-hour school zone in Bell Buckle, TN:
24 Hour School Zone by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
8 inch McCain School Beacon by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

What's the point of a 24-hour school zone? I assume it's just so they can collect higher fines?
It might also have something to do with the school zone being for a boarding school.

(They/Them)

Zmapper

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 24, 2015, 01:05:28 AM
Quote from: DaBigE on July 24, 2015, 12:18:23 AM

It might also have something to do with the school zone being for a boarding school.
Don't worry about your son Jonny running around with her late at night; our new 24-hour school zone will ensure that the cars won't kill him on his way back from her bed at three in the morning!

jbnv

I-12 exit 42 in Hammond, LA. Seems like unisigns like this are becoming more common in Louisiana, but only in construction zones. And it was that much trouble to make a longer sign with a "BUSINESS" banner?
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

noelbotevera

Stubby arrows live! This is not road related, but at the Laff Trakk exit in Hersheypark, a blue on white sign writes "EXIT" (in Arial) with a stubby arrow. No picture because tablets aren't allowed on rides in Hersheypark, and I forgot mah tablet, and GSV does not cover Hersheypark.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.