News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 07:19:11 PM
In my view, the stop sign also governs the left-turn lane, which has to yield to traffic from the right.

The left turn lane already has its own stop sign.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on March 09, 2021, 07:21:20 PM
In my view, the stop sign also governs the left-turn lane, which has to yield to traffic from the right.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Two stop signs are not a requirement for any approach: they intentionally painted a stop line across the right turn, posted a stop sign right before it, and then posted another sign saying right turns don't have to stop.

Here's an easier way to approach this: post a "this lane" sign below the stop sign on the left, and then remove everything from the right turn lane including the stop line.

Mapmikey

Quote from: jakeroot on March 09, 2021, 07:24:23 PM

That's what I'm thinking as well. Two stop signs are not a requirement for any approach: they intentionally painted a stop line across the right turn, posted a stop sign right before it, and then posted another sign saying right turns don't have to stop.

Here's an easier way to approach this: post a "this lane" sign below the stop sign on the left, and then remove everything from the right turn lane including the stop line.

They could stripe this intersection differently and get rid of all the stop signs entirely...

If you turn right the next road sign, oddly, is NO FIREWORKS ALLOWED

kphoger

So, if the stop sign on the right weren't there, then why would the stop sign on the left not govern both lanes?  Likewise, does the presence of a stop sign on the right mean, by some quirk of the state law, that the stop sign on the left does not govern the left lane?

Unless there's some strange Washington law about stop signs' application not extending across pizza-shaped neutral space, I must assume that BOTH stop signs govern BOTH lanes.  And, therefore, the absence of one or the other would have no bearing on the application of the other.

Is there some law that contradicts this understanding?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 08:05:25 PM

So, if the stop sign on the right weren't there, then why would the stop sign on the left not govern both lanes?  Likewise, does the presence of a stop sign on the right mean, by some quirk of the state law, that the stop sign on the left does not govern the left lane?

Unless there's some strange Washington law about stop signs' application not extending across pizza-shaped neutral space, I must assume that BOTH stop signs govern BOTH lanes.  And, therefore, the absence of one or the other would have no bearing on the application of the other.

"Right turn permitted without stopping" should remain, but the stop sign on the right should be removed.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

mrsman

Quote from: 1 on March 09, 2021, 08:07:57 PM

"Right turn permitted without stopping" should remain, but the stop sign on the right should be removed.

1) I agree with 1's comment on how to handle the right turn.  Given the apparent lack of pedestrians and lack of any conflicting moverment, there should not even be any cues towards having right turn traffic stop here.  If a second stop sign is at all warranted* here, it should be placed in the painted island where left turning traffic can be governed by it, not right turns.

2)  With a few minor tweaks, this can be redesigned to even avoid left turning traffic from having to stop.  As southbound Scoville approaches the intersection with one lane and emerges with two lanes to 6th street, you can paint this left turn with a narrow turning radius such that all traffic from the left turn will only use the left lane of 6th, and all traffic from Scoville will use the right lane.  A W4-3 sign and perhaps some flex posts to force people to stay in lane for a while would do the trick.

* There may be a state law or such that requires a stop sign to be on the right side.  I can't recall seeing a stop sign in the US that is only on the left, even on a one way street.

jakeroot

MUTCD Section 2B.10 'STOP Sign or YIELD Sign Placement' does indicate the following:

(1) The STOP or YIELD sign shall be installed on the near side of the intersection on the right-hand side of the approach to which it applies.
(2) The STOP or YIELD sign shall be located as close as practical to the intersection it regulates, while optimizing its visibility to the road user it is intended to regulate.

So in a sense, the default installation location would be on the right side of the intersection. I suspect the state of Oregon, or the city of Grants Pass (not sure who is in charge) considers this one giant intersection, so the stop sign ends up on both sides. However, as mrsman indicates above, it would be very simple to restripe this into, at the very least, a constant-flow intersection without any signage. Or, if it were easier, into two separate intersections, with the right turn being a "slip lane" separate from the left turn, allowing the stop sign to be placed in the porkchop island like this (it would effectively create two intersections with Scoville: one for the left turn, and the other for the right turn); the right turn would be a constant flow movement regardless, as it does not interfere with other traffic.

Big John

Quote from: mrsman on March 09, 2021, 09:21:33 PMI can't recall seeing a stop sign in the US that is only on the left, even on a one way street.
This used to be a signalized intersection.  Dropped the ball of having no stop sign on the right.  https://goo.gl/maps/fostjHn8BHJ4HDuL6

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on March 09, 2021, 09:21:33 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 09, 2021, 08:07:57 PM

1) I agree with 1's comment on how to handle the right turn.  Given the apparent lack of pedestrians and lack of any conflicting moverment, there should not even be any cues towards having right turn traffic stop here.  If a second stop sign is at all warranted* here, it should be placed in the painted island where left turning traffic can be governed by it, not right turns.

2)  With a few minor tweaks, this can be redesigned to even avoid left turning traffic from having to stop.  As southbound Scoville approaches the intersection with one lane and emerges with two lanes to 6th street, you can paint this left turn with a narrow turning radius such that all traffic from the left turn will only use the left lane of 6th, and all traffic from Scoville will use the right lane.  A W4-3 sign and perhaps some flex posts to force people to stay in lane for a while would do the trick.

* There may be a state law or such that requires a stop sign to be on the right side.  I can't recall seeing a stop sign in the US that is only on the left, even on a one way street.

Looking at the 2008 GSV, the jersey barriers for the parking lot across the street are further back, the stop line is fading, and the Stop sign being eyed up doesn't have the 'Right Turns Permitted Without Stopping".  My guess is that back in the day, with that parking lot being active, stopping then turning right off the ramp may have been more of a concern with possible opposing traffic.   

What's not visible is the various laws and regulations of the state.  Nearly everything may be encoded into local regulations, such as what streets are considered stop streets.  It's possible that without the parking lot being there, it's easier to keep the Stop sign in place but allow motorists to continue thru it, rather than removing it which may take more municipal or county action.  And if a business were to operate where that parking lot is in the future, just take down the "Keep Moving" sign.

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on March 09, 2021, 10:35:01 PM

Quote from: mrsman on March 09, 2021, 09:21:33 PMI can't recall seeing a stop sign in the US that is only on the left, even on a one way street.

This used to be a signalized intersection.  Dropped the ball of having no stop sign on the right.  https://goo.gl/maps/fostjHn8BHJ4HDuL6

But there's still a YIELD sign on the right.  It's not left "blank" on that side.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Big John on March 09, 2021, 10:35:01 PM

It was attempted here, https://goo.gl/maps/2LHmhv4mMJuqMnH46  but I believe since this GSV was taken they did make the right side a Stop lane as well.

Big John

From those 2 examples, there is a flat island rather than a raised island to put the stop sign on.  My example had a raised island there when it was signalized, which went away with the signal pole.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

index

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Quote from: index on March 10, 2021, 08:49:35 AM
It looks like the tribal government here wrote a trespassing notice or something on a US shield for this access road:
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.2913499,-80.8579749,3a,15y,33.62h,86.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svVrIAayQgsrsPChBlRRZ8g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Weird.

If you think it's appropriate, you might cross-post that over in the Altered, Repurposed, Recycled, Reused thread.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2021, 01:13:36 PM

Quote from: roadman65 on March 09, 2021, 11:28:56 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/47926937743/in/album-72157625374776076/

Inverted US192 shields in Florida.

What was Florida's color for 192? Are those inverted, or are they throwbacks to the technicolor days?

It was green.

Quote from: flaroads on January 21, 2009, 11:22:25 AM
Two colors, though, orange and black, were only used once and were used on US 41 (orange) and US 98 (black) only because those routes intersected all other colour schemes in the system and the state felt that would confuse motorists (though there was the rare occurance of the US 192 and US 27 interchange where both shield colours were green).
Male pronouns, please.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2021, 01:13:36 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 09, 2021, 11:28:56 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/47926937743/in/album-72157625374776076/

Inverted US192 shields in Florida.

What was Florida's color for 192? Are those inverted, or are they throwbacks to the technicolor days?

Obviously these are the black and white versions of a colour shield. ;)

HTM Duke

Found a pair of these BLIND DRIVE / T intersection combo signs in Levy County, FL.  It's tough to see in Streetview, but Levy County also decided to include a dashed center line on the vertical bar as well, and it struck me as kind of PennDOT-lite.

CR-337 south of Bronson
CR-339 south of Trenton
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: HTM Duke on March 12, 2021, 03:41:11 PM
Found a pair of these BLIND DRIVE / T intersection combo signs in Levy County, FL.  It's tough to see in Streetview, but Levy County also decided to include a dashed center line on the vertical bar as well, and it struck me as kind of PennDOT-lite.

CR-337 south of Bronson
CR-339 south of Trenton

I was just driving on that last Sunday, and thought about posting it. I suppose it lets you know which side of the road traffic might appear from.

Also, Levy County still likes posting a "C" in front of many county routes. 

1995hoo

Technically I suppose this isn't a road sign, but it's close enough. My mom sent this today. She was out for a walk on the Cross County Trail somewhere down near the old prison in Lorton, Virginia, and saw this.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 13, 2021, 05:00:44 PM
Technically I suppose this isn’t a road sign, but it’s close enough. My mom sent this today. She was out for a walk on the Cross County Trail somewhere down near the old prison in Lorton, Virginia, and saw this.

I think the lower sign qualifies for Worst Of. :ded:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Yeah, what the FF does recycling have to do with yielding to equestrian traffic?
Male pronouns, please.

Big John

^^and the bottom-right arrow pointed opposite of the other arrows?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.