News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Department of Redundancy Department

Started by Brandon, December 26, 2013, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 20, 2014, 08:34:30 AM
From this thread, this redundancy, in terms of BGS replacement, along I-91 in MA has been around for at least two months.

The old BGS & gantry were still there as of 2 weeks ago.

91 east of the 605:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.876353,-118.081477,3a,75y,74.25h,78.45t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sYh1iiBV3_R0uc9vagyc85g!2e0

hm insulators

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 27, 2014, 06:44:08 AM

Sine Salad on Yarnell at 210 by ssoworld, on Flickr
Quite a staple of Los Angles - The sign on the pole is LA's, the bgs is CalTrans's as is the standard "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" shield below.

I got a buddy of mine who only lives a mile or so from that Yarnell/I-210 intersection.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JoePCool14

I'm not really sure what the redundancy is here.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 08, 2014, 11:55:05 AM
I'm not really sure what the redundancy is here.

The combination of "PA" and the route shield.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 19, 2014, 07:52:55 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 19, 2014, 06:46:04 PM
I think the one on the left is.  The one on the right is partially hidden in the brush.

Wow, can't imagine looking at that sign in the summer with foliage covering it.

Also, off-topic, but do you think winter is the worst season for roadgeeks? (Signs dirty, knocked by plows etc.)
or, are plants to annoying in the summer?

Personally, winter is much worse (at least near Chicago it is).

I think winter is better for roadgeeking. Around here, you don't have to worry about the weather so much (snow is always a possibility, but rarely actually happens more than once or twice per season). In the summer, photography is more difficult because you play hell trying to keep up with scrubbing the bug guts off the windshield and mitigating the glare caused by bright sunlight.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

At least you get an extra evening daylight after today. Personally, that's what I look forward to with the time change, even though you lose that hour. Spring and fall, due to the nicer weather. Summer gets a greater chance of rain. Winter has dull to nonexistent foliage in many places, and there's less daylight.

With the exception of love bugs, most insects aren't anything a blade scraper and a bottle of water can't solve (with an additional trip to a gas station).

Zeffy

Quote from: formulanone on March 09, 2014, 08:57:23 PM
With the exception of love bugs, most insects aren't anything a blade scraper and a bottle of water can't solve (with an additional trip to a gas station).

So how about the stinging ones? You know, the ones that will fly into your window suddenly and you now have to worry about the little fucker stinging you.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

CNGL-Leudimin

At least you get an extra evening daylight after today. Personally, that's what I look forward to with the time change, even though you lose that hour. Spring and fall, due to the nicer weather. Summer gets a greater chance of rain. Winter has dull to nonexistent foliage in many places, and there's less daylight.

I'm still in standard time, so I haven't got that extra evening daylight yet. Instead, the forum has now the wrong hour for me, being one hour ahead of actual time here. So hard is keeping the forum hour in the same GMT offset instead of changing it with DST? Anyway, this will be solved on March 30th when Europe advances to DST.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 10, 2014, 01:25:56 PM

I'm still in standard time, so I haven't got that extra evening daylight yet. Instead, the forum has now the wrong hour for me, being one hour ahead of actual time here. So hard is keeping the forum hour in the same GMT offset instead of changing it with DST? Anyway, this will be solved on March 30th when Europe advances to DST.

In your preferences, you can change it one hour.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

vtk

Old US 35 at Palmer Rd, Washington Court House, Ohio:

Probably because when the US 35 freeway ended at Palmer Road and US 35 made a turn at this intersection, it was a three-way stop. 
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jeffandnicole

Kacie Jane

And I'm not even convinced it's redundant the first time. Using a shield in two separate messages isn't necessarily redundant.

roadman65

Actually I forgot that I posted it before.  Silly as it is, it is almost like I was thinking the same thing under the circumstance.   I ran across it the second time when I was sorting through my files, and thought it would be a good redundancy thing not realizing that the posting of the picture by me would be that. 

Funny when I think about it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

So the thread now has redundancy.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

okroads

At the bottom, the sign says "Northbound - Trucks" on one line and "Trucks Use Next Exit" on the next line. Photo taken by me on 1-4-14.

PHLBOS

In Belchertown, MA at the northern terminus of MA 181 at US 202/MA 21; there are new (latest GSV predates the erection of such) LGS' for that intersection.  For some reason there are two LGS panels for MA 21 North (right turn off 181) but no LGS for US 202 North (straight ahead).

The new LGS arrangement is as follows:

21 NORTH
     WARE
BROOKFIELD
------------>

(main paddle LGS)

SOUTH
21  202
LUDLOW
<--------

(2nd LGS below main paddle)

21 NORTH
   WARE
----------->

(3rd LGS below previous 2 LGS')

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get a photo of it.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

I'm surprised the nine or so signs for the Ari Halberstam Memorial Ramp haven't come up.  I know a few came down during construction, but there were still more than any ramp could ever merit the last time I was there.

Zeffy

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 31, 2014, 12:29:50 PM
  21 NORTH
     WARE
BROOKFIELD
------------>

(main paddle LGS)

SOUTH
21  202
LUDLOW
<--------

(2nd LGS below main paddle)

21 NORTH
   WARE
----------->

(3rd LGS below previous 2 LGS')

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get a photo of it.

Have a free render of what I think MassDOT paddle LGS look like:

Reasoning: Pictures are better than text, and I was bored.  :biggrin:

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on March 31, 2014, 01:15:27 PMHave a free render of what I think MassDOT paddle LGS look like:

Reasoning: Pictures are better than text, and I was bored.  :biggrin:
Not bad but the new signs have the black off-set lines for the shields and the white off-sets are now rounded (to mimic the BGS).  Also, the first LGS paddle is mounted on top of the post & MassDOT has long since adopted the practice of the 1st letter of the direction cardinal being slightly larger than the rest of the lettering.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

Attempt 2:

I actually looked up on Alpsroads.net to see what it looked like, and matched it closely.

No idea why the 21 came out so... thick.

Pete from Boston

The older signs didn't have the embiggened first letter.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 31, 2014, 02:53:19 PM
He wasn't trying to copy the older signs.  He was trying to show the LGS' as they appear today.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 31, 2014, 04:19:05 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 31, 2014, 02:53:19 PM
He wasn't trying to copy the older signs.  He was trying to show the LGS' as they appear today.

Right, I was just clarifying that using the old photo would yield a different result than what is there now for that reason.

roadman65

Happen to catch this one a few years back during a sign change.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.