News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US-30 in California... wait, what????

Started by ZLoth, February 21, 2015, 12:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

So, I'm traveling from a friend's house in Yuba City/Marysville to work in Rancho Cordova. This involves taking CA-70 to CA-99 to US-50. It's an easy route, but I have the GPS running to keep an eye on my estimated time of arrival.

As I'm making the necessary exit to US-50, my phone GPS is chriping "Take exit to US-30 East US-50 East". Wait, what? Then, once I'm on US-50, it goes "Continue east on US-30".

Waitasecond, I've lived in Sacramento all my life, and I'm enough of a road geek to know that US-50 once went to Sacramento, headed south to Tracy, then west to Oakland. The other major route, US-40, is now on or follows closely Interstate-80. But, US-30? According to US Ends, US-30 always ran from Astoria, OR to Atlantic City, NJ, and never enters California or Nevada.

So, checking Google Maps further, I see that it is marked "Route 30". It can't be CA-30, as that is in Southern California and is now Interstate 210/CA-210, now can it be CA-330. I see no Sacramento County Road 30. Noone here refers to a county route anyways. So, where is this route 30 coming from?

Oh Google, what kind of peyote are you smoking?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hotdogPi

The GPS thinks there is a US 30 / US 50 concurrency. Maybe the designer had impaired vision and couldn't tell the difference between a 3 and a 5.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

NE2

The Goog thinks US 30 goes from at least Davis to West Wendover: (zoom in on Davis for the "Rte 30" text) No sign of Quebec Route 366 yet.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Caboosey

That is weird. I see this too in the edit system for Google Maps (Google Map Maker).

I did find something weird that was changed on Feb. 18, 2015 and other unknown changes on Feb. 17, 2015 by Google employees.

Screenshot of viewing U.S. 30 in Sacramento area in Google Map Maker:

dfwmapper

It was originally the route for Lincoln Highway. Through a series of moves, each stupider than the last, it was transformed U.S. 30. And this is why outsourcing is bad.

ZLoth

Can we just call it Cyber-Graffiti and move on to correcting this? I found it extremely weird that in Sacramento, I-305 is marked on the map because it is a legitimate route but non-flagged route (you have to be CalTrans or a road-geek to know why it's a hidden Interstate), but Business 80 between Madison Ave split and US-50 is not flagged as CA-51 even though it it is referred that way in CHP reports and CalTrans.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

roadfro

Yeah, I reported a similar error to Google last week, as much of US 50 in Nevada (and I-80 between the CA line and Fernley) also has the street name "Rte 30".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Caboosey

Ya. The Google employee's that are not from United States have wrongfully changed "Lincoln Highway" to "US 30"

Here is basically what happened. This comment was taken from a pending edit by another volunteer like myself to fix and update  Google Maps. I voted it up.

Quote....[In] edit history, you will see that everything was fine and the road was correctly named Lincoln Highway up until October [2014] when idiot #1 (Google Reviewer Goutham) added the US 30 name to it. This was completely wrong. US 30 does happen to carry the Lincoln Highway for part of its length, but not all of it. Smart guy #1 (me) tried to undo this incorrect change. Idiot #2 (Google Reviewer Nivedhitha) denied it. Idiot #3 (Google Reviewer Jagadish Desham) then removed the Lincoln Highway name entirely. Smart guy #2 (Google Reviewer Robert) tried to fix everything, but the change did not publish for some reason. So, here we are, maybe this time it will get approved and idiots on the other side of the world will leave it alone.

mrsman

Yet why even mention Lincoln Highway at all?  Google Maps purpose is for practical directions, not highway history.

So for the areas that sign the route as Lincoln Highway, like Chicago Heights, IL, it's Lincoln Highway as well as whatever signed route it happens to be.

http://goo.gl/maps/mrpoG

But in California, it is no longer signed as such.  Just local street names like San Pablo Ave or Richards Blvd, or Capitol Street, etc.

It is very misleading to see Lincoln Highway on a map and not also see it on the street signs while driving.

NE2

There actually are a lot of modern Lincoln Highway signs posted (though maybe not in Nevada). Same for the National Road.
http://www.google.com/search?q=lincoln+highway+sign&tbm=isch

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ZLoth

Quote from: mrsman on February 22, 2015, 08:07:20 AM
Yet why even mention Lincoln Highway at all?  Google Maps purpose is for practical directions, not highway history.
If you want to go for practicality, then CA-51, CA-244, Sacramento County E-2, and Interstate 305 should NOT be shown at all. None of the three have signs shown on the map. They are Business 80, an off ramp, Sunrise Blvd, and US-50/Business 80 respectively.

dfwmapper

I submitted the edit to fix US 30/Lincoln Highway, and it's been approved now. Might take a while to update on Maps, because name removals always do. I-305 is fucked up internally, so it's stuck on the map until someone can convince Google to fix it (good luck).

mrsman

Quote from: ZLoth on February 22, 2015, 10:35:37 AM
Quote from: mrsman on February 22, 2015, 08:07:20 AM
If you want to go for practicality, then CA-51, CA-244, Sacramento County E-2, and Interstate 305 should NOT be shown at all. None of the three have signs shown on the map. They are Business 80, an off ramp, Sunrise Blvd, and US-50/Business 80 respectively.

Yes, that's exactly the point.  If the designations are only secret, then they don't belong on paper maps or on Google maps.  The purpose of most road maps is to help the driving public reach their destination, not to serve historians, road planners or others who may care for secret designations.

The only exception to this would be where roads are multiplexed, but only one road is signed in the multiplexed section. An example is US 40 multiplexed with I-70 for a large portion of rural Colorado.  US 40 is part of this road, but it is generally only signed as I-70.  Yet, if someone wanted to follow US 40 from Utah to Kansas, you would need to know that you have to stay on I-70 for many miles, without a US 40 reassurance.  There, the US 40 designation may be helpful on a map or Google maps.

Whether they should be signed on the streets is a different question.  I've felt that Biz-80 was confusing and that signing the W-X as US 50 and the 29-30 as CA-51 would be best.  But it must be singed that way on the highway before we see it signed that way on any map for the use of the general public.

bing101

NE2

Henry

This is probably wishful thinking at best, because US 30 has never existed in the Golden State. The person who labeled that route as such is probably more familiar with the East, where US 30 is indeed routed on the Lincoln Highway. In the West, around Salt Lake City, I-80/Old US 40 takes over after US 30 has broken off to head northwest.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

dfwmapper

Well, they're familiar with an east, anyway. More of a tea, peppercorns, and tech support kind of east though.

roadfro

Note: Discussion stemming from mrsman's post, pertaining to the signing of relinquished California state routes within cities, has been moved to it's own topic:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6165.msg2046119#msg2046119
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Quote from: NE2 on February 22, 2015, 09:25:23 AM
There actually are a lot of modern Lincoln Highway signs posted (though maybe not in Nevada). Same for the National Road.
http://www.google.com/search?q=lincoln+highway+sign&tbm=isch

I've seen a photograph for the Yellowstone Trail as well.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/YellowstoneTrailNorthFDLSign3.jpg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.