News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Las Vegas or Nevada Traffic Signals

Started by swbrotha100, February 23, 2015, 09:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swbrotha100

I happened to check out an old pic of Las Vegas Blvd that showed a string of traffic signals. They used to have curved mast arms. I was wondering if anyone knew when Las Vegas or Nevada started using the current signals with the straight mast arms.

roadfro

Growing up there in the early 80's, it was mostly straight mast arms. The few curved arms I could remember were usually the thin double guy wire arms for smaller intersections. These have been increasingly phased out and replaced.

In Vegas, the only one I can think of that might still be around is on Las Vegas Blvd at the Circus Circus/Riviera intersection.

Northern Nevada (especially in Reno and Carson) has far more curved mast arms still in active service.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mrsman

It seems as though Nevada followed a lot of what California was doing at this time. 

A progression of mast arms: guy wire, curved, straight

My guess is that the old signals in LV got updated, especially as they added arrows and the like.  But in Reno, there was less of a need for more modern signal assemblies.

roadfro

Quote from: mrsman on February 24, 2015, 12:27:30 AM
It seems as though Nevada followed a lot of what California was doing at this time. 

A progression of mast arms: guy wire, curved, straight

My guess is that the old signals in LV got updated, especially as they added arrows and the like.  But in Reno, there was less of a need for more modern signal assemblies.

I'm not entirely sure whether southern Nevada ever used curved mast arms in great quantity, but they are all over in Reno/Sparks/Carson City.  Similarly, I don't know that northern Nevada ever used the guy wire style (I've never seen one up here), but there used to be many more in Vegas.

Several Nevada traffic practices were very similar to California when originally implemented. Some other current or former areas of similarity: Porcelain overhead BGSs (although there are no longer any on roads currently maintained by NDOT), same standard overhead sign truss style, freeway entrance signage assemblies, and use of county postmile reference system (although NDOT just calls them mileposts, and doesn't use realignment letters).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

Quote from: roadfro on February 23, 2015, 04:18:48 PM
In Vegas, the only one [curved mast arm] I can think of that might still be around is on Las Vegas Blvd at the Circus Circus/Riviera intersection.

Street view links:
Las Vegas Blvd & Circus Circus Drive
Las Vegas Blvd & Riviera Blvd

The view of the Riviera Blvd intersection is interesting cause it has several things that are increasingly rare in new signal installations around the Vegas area: a curved mast arm, yellow paint on the signal poles, 3M programmed visibility signal heads for the through movement, and a signal face using 8" heads (in fact, there's two, which are controlling the pedestrian movement in lieu of ped signals).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.