News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA-2 truncation...

Started by Quillz, March 10, 2015, 01:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

I was looking at a 1950 road map of California, when I noticed that CA-2 used to continue eastward into the Lake Arrowhead area. After being concurrent with CA-138 for a while, it eventually moved onto a separate alignment that is today all of CA-173.

Does anyone know the reasoning for this truncation, given that the sections it no longer covered remained within the state highway system?

NE2

Maybe because SR 173 was never paved.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Quillz

It's a possibility. Some other California routes were broken up into multiple routes, like CA-150. I assume there was a similar reasoning here.

JustDrive

Maybe the 2/138 concurrency would have been too long?

Quillz

Quote from: JustDrive on March 10, 2015, 05:15:40 PM
Maybe the 2/138 concurrency would have been too long?
Maybe. Though it really depends on your definition of "too long." The 395/6 concurrency was pretty long and existed until 1964, and today, you've got the 138/14 concurrency that is seemingly just as long as the one the 138/2 would have had.

NE2

Wait a second - where are you seeing SR 138 east of Cajon before 1964? SR 2 had gone to Arrowhead Lake since 1934, and the 1963 official shows SR 2 rerouted to SR 18 at Crestline (which happened in 1957-58), with SR 138 only overlapping SR 2 to Cajon (as it did since 1934, presumably because 'to' plates had not yet been invented). 1964 is when SR 2 was cut back and became SR 138 east of Cajon.

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mrsman

Quote from: NE2 on March 10, 2015, 11:01:51 PM
Wait a second - where are you seeing SR 138 east of Cajon before 1964? SR 2 had gone to Arrowhead Lake since 1934, and the 1963 official shows SR 2 rerouted to SR 18 at Crestline (which happened in 1957-58), with SR 138 only overlapping SR 2 to Cajon (as it did since 1934, presumably because 'to' plates had not yet been invented). 1964 is when SR 2 was cut back and became SR 138 east of Cajon.

That makes perfect sense.  SR 2 being a low digit number would probably be longer than SR 138.

Quillz

What was the point of doing all that, then? Why replace the 2 with the 138? Seems like a strange renumbering exercise.

Quote from: Quillz on March 11, 2015, 12:33:45 AM

What was the point of doing all that, then? Why replace the 2 with the 138? Seems like a strange renumbering exercise.

States do weird things like that. Nevada's highway renumbering for example.

roadfro

Quote from: 707 on March 11, 2015, 01:43:14 PM

Nevada's highway renumbering did have a method to the madness. Old sign route numbers were assigned by the legislature/state law, and in many cases signed routes were not on NDOH owned/maintained roads. The new route numbers matched signed routes to the internal Federal Aid Highway numbers (which were also renumbered around the same time) and did away with legislative routes.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Quote from: roadfro on March 12, 2015, 01:44:30 AM

Nevada's highway renumbering did have a method to the madness. Old sign route numbers were assigned by the legislature/state law, and in many cases signed routes were not on NDOH owned/maintained roads. The new route numbers matched signed routes to the internal Federal Aid Highway numbers (which were also renumbered around the same time) and did away with legislative routes.

Sorry. Nevada roads often confuse me with all the jumbled 3DI's laying around everywhere and never made much sense to me. Though that makes it easier for NVDOT, wouldn't the big jumble of 3di numbers confuse drivers?

Quillz

Quote from: 707 on March 12, 2015, 01:47:00 AM
Quote from: roadfro on March 12, 2015, 01:44:30 AM

Sorry. Nevada roads often confuse me with all the jumbled 3DI's laying around everywhere and never made much sense to me. Though that makes it easier for NVDOT, wouldn't the big jumble of 3di numbers confuse drivers?
It was confusing for me at first, but once I learned how the system worked, it wasn't too bad. IIRC, the counties are arranged in alphabetical order and then given a series of numbers. So the Clark County numbers are lower than the ones in Washoe County, for example. Thus, highway numbers actually do follow a pattern of sorts.

roadfro

Quote from: 707 on March 12, 2015, 01:47:00 AM

Terminology note: "3DI" = "3-Digit Interstate"  Nevada has a lot of 3-digit state routes, but only 3 3DI's.

The large number of 3 digit state routes isn't incredibly confusing, when you consider that usually the ones that don't matter as much are not usually used by people for navigation and are not consistently signed.

And now I'm done hijacking this California thread with Nevada discussion  :)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Atomica

So I have noticed.  MO1 is a very short highway, only a few miles inside the Kansas City metropolitan area - mostly because most of it south of that became part of US71 and later the I-49.  I too think it is rather peculiar where CA2 is placed - ditto CA7 and other routes...
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

andy3175

Quote from: Atomica on May 02, 2015, 07:26:58 AM
So I have noticed.  MO1 is a very short highway, only a few miles inside the Kansas City metropolitan area - mostly because most of it south of that became part of US71 and later the I-49.  I too think it is rather peculiar where CA2 is placed - ditto CA7 and other routes...

I believe CA 7 and 11 were assigned because they were the "next available" route numbers for newly assigned routes. Both 7 and 11 were identified as routes serving Southern California, so their newer incarnations also serve Southern California. My theory is that the next new route identified in Northern California would be a reincarnated CA 21, and the next new route identified in Southern California would be CA 30 or 31. This is assuming there is actual logic applied to state route numbering and that the assignment of 7 and 11 was in keeping with this theory and not merely coincidence. The other option would have been to continue numbering three-digit state routes where they left off, which would have resumed with a route number around 285 or 286.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Atomica

The way so many routes and areas have changed, I wonder if California  are due for another great renumbering.
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

TheStranger

Quote from: Atomica on May 02, 2015, 07:26:58 AM

2 fit the 1934 numbering system (which I recall was deciphered by NE2 in another thread - every four numbers would be in one region, i.e. 1, 5, 9, original 13 in NorCal vs. 2, original 6, original 10 in SoCal etc.) with its Southern California location.

Quote from: AtomicaThe way so many routes and areas have changed, I wonder if California  are due for another great renumbering.

Truncations and relinquishments seem to be more prevalent than any actual numbering/routing changes, with many urban surface routes moving over to local maintenance.
Chris Sampang

Quillz

Quote from: Atomica on May 03, 2015, 01:32:18 AM
The way so many routes and areas have changed, I wonder if California  are due for another great renumbering.
Could happen, I suppose. With interstates and U. S. highways taken into account, a numbering scheme similar to the original 1934 one might work. Obviously, some numbers would be in different places.

TheStranger

Quote from: Quillz on May 19, 2015, 10:01:31 PM
Could happen, I suppose. With interstates and U. S. highways taken into account, a numbering scheme similar to the original 1934 one might work. Obviously, some numbers would be in different places.

At the same time, most of the state highway numbers in use today have been in place for 51 years (i.e. Route 82 as El Camino Real in the Bay Area, Route 91 for the east-west Artesia corridor, Route 14 for former US 6 in the Antelope Valley), and some of the 1934-era numbers have now been signed continuously for 81 years (180 in the Central Valley comes to mind). 

Only changes that should be made really are either 1. to accommodate future Interstates (i.e. if Route 3 or Route 9 had to be renumbered for that reason) or 2. to provide more logical continuity (i.e. I don't think the two segments of Route 84 should be given one number, and if the two segments of Route 16 remain separate, one of them should be renumbered IMO).
Chris Sampang

emory

Quote from: TheStranger on May 20, 2015, 12:19:38 PM
Quote from: Quillz on May 19, 2015, 10:01:31 PM

At the same time, most of the state highway numbers in use today have been in place for 51 years (i.e. Route 82 as El Camino Real in the Bay Area, Route 91 for the east-west Artesia corridor, Route 14 for former US 6 in the Antelope Valley), and some of the 1934-era numbers have now been signed continuously for 81 years (180 in the Central Valley comes to mind). 

Only changes that should be made really are either 1. to accommodate future Interstates (i.e. if Route 3 or Route 9 had to be renumbered for that reason) or 2. to provide more logical continuity (i.e. I don't think the two segments of Route 84 should be given one number, and if the two segments of Route 16 remain separate, one of them should be renumbered IMO).

What about cases like Route 65, where the state still thinks they'll construct the middle portion of the freeway but we'll likely all be dead first?

TheStranger

Quote from: emory on May 22, 2015, 05:53:29 PM

What about cases like Route 65, where the state still thinks they'll construct the middle portion of the freeway but we'll likely all be dead first?

Good question.  Already part of what was the old Route 65 has been renumbered twice (first to Route 69, then Route 245) to accommodate the still-unbuilt portion from Exeter to Roseville. 

More definitive cases of "separate segments should be given separate numbers" IMO:

- Route 16
- Route 160 (part of me would love to see the 160 freeway in North Sacramento incorporated into a new middle segment of Route 16, but that's not realistic)
- Route 84
- Route 90
- most of the trans-Sierra crossings that will never be constructed, i.e. Route 190, Route 168
Chris Sampang

emory

Quote from: TheStranger on May 22, 2015, 07:11:19 PM

Good question.  Already part of what was the old Route 65 has been renumbered twice (first to Route 69, then Route 245) to accommodate the still-unbuilt portion from Exeter to Roseville. 

More definitive cases of "separate segments should be given separate numbers" IMO:

- Route 16
- Route 160 (part of me would love to see the 160 freeway in North Sacramento incorporated into a new middle segment of Route 16, but that's not realistic)
- Route 84
- Route 90
- most of the trans-Sierra crossings that will never be constructed, i.e. Route 190, Route 168

Ah Route 90. Another case of having to plow through miles of urban Los Angeles to finish it. That's probably more likely than the 2 freeway, but is still highly unlikely after I-105 was built, and even that's technically still not finished. The Marina Freeway should be renumbered in this case, as it's a small stub and most of Route 90 is in Orange County.

Also while both routes are technically completed, I've always groaned at how the Ronald Reagan Freeway switches numbers when it crosses Los Angeles Ave in Moorpark, and along with it, the postmiles. If you're getting on from the 101, you'll soon pass exits 18, 19 and 20, and then 18, 19 and 20...again.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: emory on May 23, 2015, 02:43:04 AM

- Route 16
- Route 84
- Route 90

Ah Route 90. Another case of having to plow through miles of urban Los Angeles to finish it. That's probably more likely than the 2 freeway, but is still highly unlikely after I-105 was built, and even that's technically still not finished. The Marina Freeway should be renumbered in this case, as it's a small stub and most of Route 90 is in Orange County.

Also while both routes are technically completed, I've always groaned at how the Ronald Reagan Freeway switches numbers when it crosses Los Angeles Ave in Moorpark, and along with it, the postmiles. If you're getting on from the 101, you'll soon pass exits 18, 19 and 20, and then 18, 19 and 20...again.

It's two separate routes and pretty well marked.  While I think it would make more sense to motorists to turn the freeway portions of the 23 and 118 into some type of loop route with a single number, as it stands right now, both routes have correct exit numbers.

emory

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on May 23, 2015, 02:17:53 PM
It's two separate routes and pretty well marked.  While I think it would make more sense to motorists to turn the freeway portions of the 23 and 118 into some type of loop route with a single number, as it stands right now, both routes have correct exit numbers.

Everything on that freeway is marked and is technically correct, but I don't trust motorists to realize that exit numbers are tied to state route mileposts rather than the freeway itself. The Los Angeles Avenue route change doesn't appear like you're getting onto another freeway. This is pretty much my attitude towards any freeway that changes numbers. Another one is the Moreno Valley Freeway (CA 60) out in Riverside, where I-215 leaves the Riverside Freeway and cosigns with CA 60 and renumbers the exits, and does it backwards, for 5 miles before it departs south and begins the Escondido Freeway.

Quillz

Quote from: emory on May 23, 2015, 02:43:04 AM

- Route 16
- Route 84
- Route 90

I don't find that all that confusing, and it's just coincidental the numbers line up like that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.