News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Anchor rod on Bay Bridge may have snapped

Started by bing101, April 05, 2015, 09:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

DeaconG

This is seriously not good.

Where was the damn oversight on this?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

vdeane

The news for this bridge keeps getting worse and worse.  I hope the contractor gets fined the full amount of ALL necessary inspections/repairs/etc. necessary to get everything fixed, plus penalties, up to and including full replacement of the bridge if necessary.  CalTrans should use a new contractor for all future work on the bridge and the original contractor should be banned from working in this country ever again.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DeaconG

Quote from: vdeane on April 05, 2015, 10:08:45 PM
The news for this bridge keeps getting worse and worse.  I hope the contractor gets fined the full amount of ALL necessary inspections/repairs/etc. necessary to get everything fixed, plus penalties, up to and including full replacement of the bridge if necessary.  CalTrans should use a new contractor for all future work on the bridge and the original contractor should be banned from working in this country ever again.

I agree, but we all know how this will end...they'll do what trucking companies do, file bankruptcy, move the assets elsewhere, then in six months they'll pop up with a new name.

Maybe they could merge with Archer Western...
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

kkt

Quote from: DeaconG on April 05, 2015, 10:18:59 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 05, 2015, 10:08:45 PM

I agree, but we all know how this will end...they'll do what trucking companies do, file bankruptcy, move the assets elsewhere, then in six months they'll pop up with a new name.

Maybe they could merge with Archer Western...

They should hold individuals responsible, not just companies.

bing101

But there was another factor here was the inspections well handled before and right after 2014 earthquake?

vdeane

As much as I hate it when individuals hide behind a company/organization to avoid liability for things they do, there are so many problems with this bridge that the number of individuals involved is likely to be quite large.  Plus, avoiding liability is actually one of the reasons corporations exist in the first place.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

nexus73

London Bridge is falling down...

If one of the Pharoah's engineers had blown it when building a pyramid, I think we all know what the outcome of that would have been!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kkt

Corporations were intended to limit liability for loss of money due to business conditions or just bad luck... not to shield professional malpractice.

vdeane

That doesn't stop people from forming a limited liability corporation for their small business solely so that they don't get sued (lawyers even explicitly advertise their services with this incentive).

Alps

Quote from: nexus73 on April 06, 2015, 10:44:03 PM
London Bridge is falling down...

If one of the Pharoah's engineers had blown it when building a pyramid, I think we all know what the outcome of that would have been!

Rick
So you're advocating entombing the guilty parties inside the bridge? I'm on board.

DeaconG

Quote from: bing101 on April 06, 2015, 08:47:28 AM
But there was another factor here was the inspections well handled before and right after 2014 earthquake?

Can you say "pencil-whipping?"

bing101

Quote from: DeaconG on April 08, 2015, 10:29:14 AM
Quote from: bing101 on April 06, 2015, 08:47:28 AM

Can you say "pencil-whipping?"

Yes there has been promises to change the anchor rods for two years to strengthen the East Bay Bridge. Results at this time has been dismal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.