News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

SR 84 Niles Canyon

Started by andy3175, April 20, 2015, 11:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

http://www.mercurynews.com/fremont/ci_27926992/citizen-groups-blast-caltrans-bridge-replacement-fremont

QuoteThe years' long debate over widening the highway through Niles Canyon has continued, as environmental groups this month blasted California Department of Transportation's Alameda Creek Bridge project.

Caltrans says that replacing the 87-year-old bridge would improve safety for drivers and bicyclists on a half-mile stretch of Niles Canyon Road, a winding highway that connects Fremont to Interstate 680 near Sunol.

But opponents, including citizen groups and environmentalists, say the project would damage wildlife habitat and reduce driving safety by increasing the speed limit in parts of the scenic canyon.

QuoteIf all goes well, Wagner said, Caltrans hopes to break ground by the fall of 2017.

The state agency has considered replacing the aging Alameda Creek Bridge since 1998. Caltrans initially proposed three projects, budgeted for $80 million, to widen Niles Canyon Road, also known as Highway 84. But citizen organizations and Fremont city leaders opposed much of the plans, saying they would ruin the lush canyon's beauty by adding 2 miles of concrete retaining walls.

In early 2011, Caltrans cut down more than 80 trees in the canyon while preparing its first project. Miller and Alameda Creek Alliance then challenged the agency's environmental review in a lawsuit that deemed the report inadequate. A few months later, an Alameda County Superior Court judge's order halted construction in Niles Canyon, saying that Caltrans had failed to notify the public about the project's approval. Caltrans later abandoned the project as part of its agreement to settle the lawsuit.

Four years later, Caltrans' new attempt to widen the road is being resisted by many of the same opponents.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

kkt

I'm not surprised there's local opposition.  The houses along there are out in the beautiful rural countryside, and yet close enough for a 1/2 hour commute to many cities.  They don't want to turn into Walnut Creek.  Making a faster, safer road will attract more residents, and more commuters from farther out would take 84 instead of 680 or 24.

KEK Inc.

It's a shame the railway will be shut down.

iPhone
Take the road less traveled.

TheStranger

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 23, 2015, 07:24:25 PM
It's a shame the railway will be shut down.

Not seeing anything in the article suggesting that is happening.
Chris Sampang

KEK Inc.

I know the track maintenance manager for the line.  They have to move the trains and equipment.  Last I heard they still don't have a spot, but Roaring Camp might be a possibility. 

iPhone
Take the road less traveled.

sdmichael

Sad, considering how they have been "retracking" the line slowly toward Pleasanton. At least ACE still goes through the canyon, so there is still passenger service.

TheStranger

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 23, 2015, 07:49:02 PM
I know the track maintenance manager for the line.  They have to move the trains and equipment.  Last I heard they still don't have a spot, but Roaring Camp might be a possibility. 

iPhone
When is the shutdown happening?
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.