News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Nevada's I-580 exits to be renumbered in 2019

Started by roadfro, May 15, 2019, 10:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: skluth on November 06, 2019, 11:05:57 AM
I-255 goes around the SE corner of metro St Louis. It becomes IL 255 when it heads north of I-270. The exit numbers restart at that point, going from 30 back down to 2. Nobody gets confused by this. I don't think many people pay much attention to exit numbers.

They pay attention a lot more than you would think.  They do look for their exit using that very number, and some of the smart ones, in states using distance-based numbering, figure out how far they have to go to their exit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on May 17, 2019, 07:46:58 AM
Quote from: mrsman on May 17, 2019, 12:23:58 AM
I think there should be an exception to the rule about signing mileposts (and by extension exit numbers) that's whenever an interstate highway totally within the realm of a single US highway route, the US highway route exit numbers will have precedence.  This means that the exit numbers will follow 395, even though part of the road is also an interstate.

Nexus 5X

That would cause problems for roads like I-393. The current sequential numbers and mile-based numbers beginning at 0 are 1 are fine, but there's no point in using milage for US 4 or US 202.

Then you might as well use no exit numbering at all for US-4 or US-202 as sequential exit numbering is pretty damned useless.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Quote from: Brandon on November 07, 2019, 01:35:49 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 17, 2019, 07:46:58 AM
Quote from: mrsman on May 17, 2019, 12:23:58 AM
I think there should be an exception to the rule about signing mileposts (and by extension exit numbers) that's whenever an interstate highway totally within the realm of a single US highway route, the US highway route exit numbers will have precedence.  This means that the exit numbers will follow 395, even though part of the road is also an interstate.

Nexus 5X

That would cause problems for roads like I-393. The current sequential numbers and mile-based numbers beginning at 0 are 1 are fine, but there's no point in using milage for US 4 or US 202.

Then you might as well use no exit numbering at all for US-4 or US-202 as sequential exit numbering is pretty damned useless.

I-393, US 4, and US 202 are all overlapped here. The exits are coincidentally about a mile apart anyway.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

skluth

Quote from: Brandon on November 07, 2019, 01:34:13 PM
Quote from: skluth on November 06, 2019, 11:05:57 AM
I-255 goes around the SE corner of metro St Louis. It becomes IL 255 when it heads north of I-270. The exit numbers restart at that point, going from 30 back down to 2. Nobody gets confused by this. I don't think many people pay much attention to exit numbers.

They pay attention a lot more than you would think.  They do look for their exit using that very number, and some of the smart ones, in states using distance-based numbering, figure out how far they have to go to their exit.

I know people use them. I use them, especially when I'm driving long distance and need an easy way to remember how far I am from the border or where I should get gas. I just don't think they're very useful in urban situations. Again, not to say they don't have uses. They're just very limited.

roadfro

Quelling the building stir-craziness from the past month of stay-at-home orders, I went for a long drive Friday which included I-580 northbound from Carson City to Reno. Made some observations which reminded me of this thread...Bumping to note that NDOT is finally making progress on this renumbering project.

From NDOT's Twitter feed on 4/23/2020:

I can report that exit numbers have been changed all the way up to the Mt Rose Hwy/SR 431 interchange as of 4/24/2020. In most cases, an overlay was used on the exit tabs or greenout panels applied over numbers on supplemental guide signs at interchanges–in several cases, the green color on the new exit panels didn't quite match the existing signs.

This photo though shows that some of the signs that had been recently replaced had overlays with the old number applied over the permanent sign with the new number.

Also noted that new green enhanced reference location signs have been installed up to the Mt Rose interchange where most of the stretch did not have them before, so I assume these are being installed concurrently with all the new exit numbers.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.