🛣 Updates to the California Highways Web Page – Nov 19 – May 20

Started by cahwyguy, May 10, 2020, 07:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahwyguy

Whew. And the first batch of updates to the California Highways pages for 2020 are done. Of particular note is the effort to add pictures of naming signs, and the people they name. I've done up through Route 279. I still need pictures of signs or people, so if you have any for what I'm missing, please send them along. As always, ready, set, discuss.

Here are the first few paragraphs of the update summary. Click on through to https://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=15877 to get the version with active links and the full summary of the CTC review. Note that I went through the entire 2020 STIP to update the pages. I have the 2020 SHOPP recommendation  (over 600 pages), but I don't think it has been formally approved yet, so I'm waiting for the next update. On the memorial sign update, I'm up to Route 280, so I've got the bulk of the interstates to do which will have lots of names. I've also regularized page format up to that point. The plan is to improve navigation on the site, make it mobile friendly, and have an automatic table of contents on each route page, based on the regular format. By the end of 2020, I hope.

Read on, McDuff, and discuss.

Ah, a new year and what a year it is start out to be. Let's start with the good: As I was starting on these updates at the end of February 2020, I was out in Madison WI visiting my daughter, walking hither and yon. The end of March 2020 also marks 20 years for the domain cahighways.org, and (if you read through to the bottom of the page), almost 25 years for the posting of highway information on Usenet, or from this sites former home on Pacificnet (which is now long gone). Twenty years. In internet time, that's like ... well, forever.

But 2020 will be memorable for much more than 20 years of California Highways. It will be memorable for another "C" : Coronavirus. Much of my weekdays in March and April have been spent working from home, and my weekends on doing these highway page updates and recording LPs to MP3. That's because everything else has gone away: going out to theatre; roadtrips and eating out along the road. This is a temporary new normal. But at least I have these pages to keep me busy on the weekends.

Somethings don't change. Things that were on the horizon in 2019 are still on the horizon. In other words, I'm still trying to figure out how I want the site update to look (although I'm getting closer on the ideas). I do know that we'll be going to one page per highway, and that I'll have a translation page so that old links don't get broken (the Javascript is already written). On the editor front, I am transitioning to BlueGriffon, as it supports the HTML5 tags that I think might be useful for the site in the future (in particular, the <NAV> tag, which may be the basis of future overall site navigation). I think the compatibility problem with the other editor I use (Amaya) was the <!DOCTYPE> tag, where a missing or HTML4 tag caused Amaya to flag valid HTML as invalid thanks to SGML enforcement. We shall see. BlueGriffon's advantage over Amaya is that it is still maintained; however, I may have to pay to enable some features (should not be a big deal).

I'm also starting to enter the modern era, as of a decade ago, by starting a stylesheet. Progress is also continuing on the project to add memorial images and information to naming information. A side benefit of this will be a bit more standardization of the structure of the individual highway pages. In the future, as part of the move to single pages for each highway, I will use the standardized structure to generate a hyperlinked table of contents to make it easier get to portions of a route. For this conversion process (memorial images, stylesheet standardization), as of when I post this, I'm currently on Route 280.

• Note the First: The non-individual highway pages haven't been converted yet. If you see odd spacing in lists, this is likely why.
  • Note the Second: I'm still looking for pictures of name signs (i.e., signs with the names in the naming sections), and for pictures of some of the people. If you have them, please send me the images or pointers to where I can find the images. This is particularly important for the older names, the seemingly generic place names. For example, if we say that I-215 is called the Riverside Freeway, I want to find a sign that explicitly says "Riverside Freeway"  (not just a destination of Riverside). It can be a sign pointing to an on-ramp; a sign on an intersecting freeway, or the freestanding signs that used to be on route segments. But it must have the full name. Surprisingly, for all the picture sites out there, few do a good job of capturing the naming signs. Consider it a challenge. You can mail them to webmaster@cahighways.org.

The Caltrans website rework is still creating problems. Many typical resources and pages are still not available and are still pending remediation. My offer still stands to Caltrans: I will be glad to host any unremediated information – or will find someone to do so if the information doesn't fit in this site – pending remediation and rehosting on the Caltrans website. I am already hosting the Bridge Logs on my my Caltrans Resources page.

Moving on to the updates, starting with headlines, emailed items, and AAroads forum updates: Updates were made to the following highways, based on my reading of the papers (which are posted to the roadgeeking category at the "Observations Along The Road"  and to the California Highways Facebook group) as well as any backed up email changes. I also reviewed the the AAroads forum. This resulted in changes on the following routes, with credit as indicated [my research(1), contributions of information or leads (via direct mail) from Tom Fearer(2), Michael McThrow(3), Scott Parker(4), Don Williams(5), and  Joel Windmiller(6): Route 1(1,2), Route 2(2,4), Route 4(2,4), I-5(1,2), LRN 8(1), I-8(1), I-10(1,2), Route 11(1), Route 12(2,4), Route 14(1), Route 17(2,4), Route 20(1), Route 25(1,2), Route 29(1), Route 30(2), Route 36(1), Route 37(1,2), US 40(2), Route 42(1), Route 46(1), Route 48(1,2), US 50(1), Route 52(2), Route 58(1), Route 60(1), Route 63(1), Route 64(2), Route 65(2,3), Route 71(5), I-80(1,2), Route 84(1,4), Route 86(2), Route 89(1,2), Route 91(1), Route 92(1), Route 93(2), Route 96(2), Route 99(1,2,4,6), Route 100(2,4), US 101(1,2,4), Route 111(1,2), Route 116(2,4), Route 118(2,4), Route 122(2), Route 125(1), Route 126(5), Route 132(1), Route 146(2), Route 154(1), Route 156(1), Route 157(2), Route 162(1), Route 171(2), Route 180(1,2), Route 181(2), Route 183(1), Route 192(1), Route 196(2), US 199(2), Route 210(1,2,4), Route 211(2), Route 220(1), Route 239(4), Route 241(1), Route 249(2), Route 251(2), Route 252(2), Route 256(3), Route 281(2), US 395(1), I-405(1), US 466(2), I-580(1), I-880(1), I-905(1), County Sign Route J22(2), County Sign Route J29(2), County Sign Route J35(2), County Sign Route J132(2).

Added a pointer to Mike Ballard's Summits page to the Statistics Page 1.

Noted that the highway exit numbering PDFs from Cal-Nexus are working again... but all have been renamed.

Reviewed the Pending Legislation page, based on the new California Legislature site. As usual, I recommend to every Californian that they visit the legislative website regularly and see what their legis-critters are doing. As many people are unfamilair with how the legislature operates (and why there are so many "non-substantive changes"  and "gut and amend"  bills), I've added the legislative calendar to the end of the Pending Legislation page. As this is early in the legislative session, no bills or resolutions have been passed yet, although there are a number of interest.

I checked the CTC Liaison page (post AB 434 link) for the results of the California Transportation Commission meetings from January 2020 through April 2020. However, that page is also caught up in the AB 434 rework, meaning that none of the agendas and all of the background was unavailable. However, the California Transportation Commission does a better job of having its act together, and the agendas and minutes and backgrounds are available there. As always, note that I tend not to track items that do not impact these pages – i.e., pavement rehabilitation or replacement, landscaping, drainage, culverts, roadside facilities, charging stations, or other things that do not impact the routing or history, unless they are really significant. As such, the following items were of interest (note: ° indicates items that were below the level of detail for updating the specific route pages; ♠ is an indicator used to keep track of what has been added to the pages):

(Visit https://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=15877 for the rest)
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

mrsman

Daniel,

Thank you for all your hard work on researching CA highways.  I took a quick look at some of your pages, and it seems that the work you have done is nothing short of monumental.  You already had a lot of information on your site, but the updates will surely just take it all to a new level.

Well done!

Looking forward to seeing more updates in the future.

Max Rockatansky

The Naming Signs and faces to Highway Names was a pretty cool new addition. 

cahwyguy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 13, 2020, 08:55:05 PM

Now the folks taking pictures of highways need to take up the challenge. How can we say a route is named something if there is no sign proving it. We need to find the signs, perhaps in historical images.

The historians as well need to take up the challenge, and put faces to the names of those memorialized, but with absolutely no record on the Internet. Seems like a great challenge these days.

[He said as he started to look up Arthur Breed, and wondered where he could find a picture of Brownie Brown. Can you guess what route I'm working on?]
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cahwyguy on May 13, 2020, 09:28:04 PM

Now the folks taking pictures of highways need to take up the challenge. How can we say a route is named something if there is no sign proving it. We need to find the signs, perhaps in historical images.

The historians as well need to take up the challenge, and put faces to the names of those memorialized, but with absolutely no record on the Internet. Seems like a great challenge these days.

[He said as he started to look up Arthur Breed, and wondered where he could find a picture of Brownie Brown. Can you guess what route I'm working on?]

To that end I might have some fresh photos of Memorial Highways for 180, 245, 198, and possibly 201 or 63.  Given we're easing up this I'll be back on the highways in the Sierras starting this weekend.  None of those aren't stuff I haven't hit on before but it's always nice to improve my own photo stock, especially when there is something specific to look for. 

cahwyguy

Just an update with respect to the May updates: I've now completed the memorial names (and format conversion) for all the highways and county sign routes. Next up will be going through the 650 page SHOPP just approved to see which projects need annotation in my pages.

As always, I still need pictures of naming signs (and the people mentioned thereon). You would think will all the picture sites out there, people would have clear pictures of the naming signs as part of the highway record, but we don't.

How can we say that a highway is called something when there is no sign ever using that name. Three examples, all from the Bay Area, that I ran into:

1. I-280 and I-680 are called the Sinclair Freeway. Where is there ever a sign saying that?

2. I-880 (and Route 17 before that) were the Nimitz Freeway. Where is there a sign saying that?

3. I-980 is the Grove-Schafter freeway ... but again, no signs I could find online with that name.

This is critical. In doing this project, I've often found that what makes it on naming signs is different than what is in the naming resolution -- and we need to record what is out in the field.

We also need to be searching the archives for the historical naming signs that have been taken down. I could swear I remember seeing signs proclaiming I-605 as the San Gabriel River Freeway, the 118 as the Simi Valley Freeway, or the 90 as the Marina Freeway ... but none have images online. Is my memory wrong?

In any case, everything is uploaded now, so you can see what I have and what is missing.

Daniel

rte66man

I'm nearing retirement age and would dearly love to do this for Oklahoma.  We have hundreds of Memorial roads and bridges yet I'm willing to bet 95% of them are named for someone no one either remembers or were never known by the general public. I'm NOT saying they weren't worth being memorialized (with the exception of certain state politicos), just that it is, IMO, important to know these things.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: rte66man on May 17, 2020, 03:01:53 PM

I'm nearing retirement age and would dearly love to do this for Oklahoma.  We have hundreds of Memorial roads and bridges yet I'm willing to bet 95% of them are named for someone no one either remembers or were never known by the general public. I'm NOT saying they weren't worth being memorialized (with the exception of certain state politicos), just that it is, IMO, important to know these things.

Just with 99 near me it is kind of shocking how many Memorial Highways are named for CHP Officers.  Granted, I don't know the time frame from those Memorial designations but it does seem like a lot of fatalities among Highway Patrol Officers to me.

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 17, 2020, 03:04:26 PM

Just with 99 near me it is kind of shocking how many Memorial Highways are named for CHP Officers.  Granted, I don't know the time frame from those Memorial designations but it does seem like a lot of fatalities among Highway Patrol Officers to me.

I believe it was a project of the state legislature to begin naming certain interchanges after fallen heroes, which started in the 1990's.  Sometimes, there is a relation to the interchange, IIRC the 5/14 interchange was named after a CHP officer who died during the 1994 earthquake near the interchange when part of the freeway crumbled.  Other times, it is just an honorific for a local officer killed in the line of duty, but not necessarily on the highway.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on May 17, 2020, 03:25:06 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 17, 2020, 03:04:26 PM

I believe it was a project of the state legislature to begin naming certain interchanges after fallen heroes, which started in the 1990's.  Sometimes, there is a relation to the interchange, IIRC the 5/14 interchange was named after a CHP officer who died during the 1994 earthquake near the interchange when part of the freeway crumbled.  Other times, it is just an honorific for a local officer killed in the line of duty, but not necessarily on the highway.

I've noticed that there is a difference in the signage which denotes either "Officer" or "CHP Officer."  I suppose the signs are a little too small to sneak in the jurisdiction in most instances aside the acronym "CHP."

mrsman

Quote from: cahwyguy on May 17, 2020, 09:13:55 AM
Just an update with respect to the May updates: I've now completed the memorial names (and format conversion) for all the highways and county sign routes. Next up will be going through the 650 page SHOPP just approved to see which projects need annotation in my pages.

As always, I still need pictures of naming signs (and the people mentioned thereon). You would think will all the picture sites out there, people would have clear pictures of the naming signs as part of the highway record, but we don't.

How can we say that a highway is called something when there is no sign ever using that name. Three examples, all from the Bay Area, that I ran into:

1. I-280 and I-680 are called the Sinclair Freeway. Where is there ever a sign saying that?

2. I-880 (and Route 17 before that) were the Nimitz Freeway. Where is there a sign saying that?

3. I-980 is the Grove-Schafter freeway ... but again, no signs I could find online with that name.

This is critical. In doing this project, I've often found that what makes it on naming signs is different than what is in the naming resolution -- and we need to record what is out in the field.

We also need to be searching the archives for the historical naming signs that have been taken down. I could swear I remember seeing signs proclaiming I-605 as the San Gabriel River Freeway, the 118 as the Simi Valley Freeway, or the 90 as the Marina Freeway ... but none have images online. Is my memory wrong?

In any case, everything is uploaded now, so you can see what I have and what is missing.

Daniel

In some of those cases, there are official names that were signed, and in other there were official names in planning documents but not signed, and in others there were locally adopted names.

Nimitz must have had a sign somewhere, as it was named in honor of the Admiral and wouldn't have come from nowhere.

I don't believe "Grove-Shafter" was ever named.  The freeway served as a connector from Grove to Shafter.  Grove is now MLK and is parallel to the southern part of the freeway.  Shafter exists several blocks to the east, but may have extended on what is now the eastern part of the ROW.

I also remember some official signs naming the 118, 90, and 605 freeway, but you are right that they are hard to find.  118, I believe was officially the Simi Valley-San Fernando Valley Freeway, and I remember standalone signs on the freeway itself westbound a little west of the 405.  As Caltrans doesn't like to name the freeways, the signs were probably removed over time.

As the names for 118 and 605 were mouthfuls, they were easy to jettison.  Of course, 118 was later renamed for Ronald Reagan.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on May 17, 2020, 03:42:35 PM

Daniel

In some of those cases, there are official names that were signed, and in other there were official names in planning documents but not signed, and in others there were locally adopted names.

Nimitz must have had a sign somewhere, as it was named in honor of the Admiral and wouldn't have come from nowhere.

I don't believe "Grove-Shafter" was ever named.  The freeway served as a connector from Grove to Shafter.  Grove is now MLK and is parallel to the southern part of the freeway.  Shafter exists several blocks to the east, but may have extended on what is now the eastern part of the ROW.

I also remember some official signs naming the 118, 90, and 605 freeway, but you are right that they are hard to find.  118, I believe was officially the Simi Valley-San Fernando Valley Freeway, and I remember standalone signs on the freeway itself westbound a little west of the 405.  As Caltrans doesn't like to name the freeways, the signs were probably removed over time.

As the names for 118 and 605 were mouthfuls, they were easy to jettison.  Of course, 118 was later renamed for Ronald Reagan.

The "Nimitz Freeway" does pop up in CHPW guides.  From what I researched the name popped up first in the November/December 1958 CHPW.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2018/01/california-state-route-17.html

cahwyguy

Quote from: mrsman on May 17, 2020, 03:42:35 PM

I remember those signs -- and my point was that for all the pictures that we road aficionados are taking of highways, we're not taking pictures of the relevant stuff. We take pictures of the scenic views (which don't always change that much). We don't take pictures of the marker signs, the names, the street names, the postmiles. Those go away as a road gets updated over time -- and then we lose that history. Think about all the historic pictures you love to see posted. Are they the pictures of the scenery, or of the signs and things that are no longer there.

So we need to go out and capture those naming signs before caltrans removes them. We need to look in our files to see if we captured them before. We need to go through CHPW to find them (doing another CHPW pass is on my list). Let's find this stuff while we still can (it is like talking to your relatives about geneology: do it now while they are still here).

We need to look for the naming signs in other places, such as the directional signs off the highways pointing to the highways. Where was the name being used in an official (or unofficial) sense that made it stick?

mrsman

Here is a GSV link to a Marina Fwy sign:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9811765,-118.4202671,3a,75y,82.29h,82.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6wglX8OztQUQH3lhMrkI1g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It is just east of the Ballona  Creek, on the eastbound freeway itself.  Before the Culver Blvd interchange was built, this may have been considered the westernmost point of the freeway itself, as it probably took on expressway status west of the creek.  For these standalone signs, if they were posted, they tended to be posted at the "beginning" of a freeway, to let you know what you were on.

It's such a short freeway, that if the sign still existed, it was pretty easy to find from my desk 3,000 miles away.  I don't claim that I'll be able to do anything similar for the 605.  And for 118, any naming sign was absolutely removed in favor of Ronald Reagan Fwy.

cahwyguy

I had actually found the Marina Freeway. More elusive would be a historic sign showing it as the Richard M Nixon Freeway (*not* the Parkway on the Eastern segment), or a sign showing Yorba Linda Freeway on the Eastern segment.

heynow415

Daniel

The Grove-Shafter Fwy also includes SR 24 (at least to Rockridge) as it got its name from mostly paralleling Grove St. in Oakland (now MLK Blvd) and then curved eastward towards the Caldedott Tunnel where it crosses Shafter St. at the Rockridge BART station. 

I seem to recall a sign for the Sinclair Fwy many years ago between the now-removed "future" SR 238 connector and Durham Road in Fremont but there's been so much construction in that area it may have disappeared.  I also seem to recall at the Bay Bridge maze, prior to Loma Prieta/when the Cypress Structure carried SR17/I-880, when coming from the bridge at the split the gantry signs had Nimitz and MacArthur in addition to their respective route shields.  But that area has completely transformed as well. 

kkt

The Grove-Shafter was referred to as such at least back to the late 1960s.  It was the way from my immediate family's house in Berkeley to my grandparents' house in Lafayette, and we took it a lot and it was usually referred to by name not number.

SeriesE

Daniel
There used to be a sign on I-680 S between Scott Creek Road and Jacklin Road.
The sign was removed as part of the HOT lane project.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4623211,-121.9025816,3a,75y,142.97h,83.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smTjmP0rnrPJQRGgnngdWgQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

corco

Daniel

I can help with I-880, I-605, and SR 90, at any rate, because I think all of those still have active signs:
http://www.corcohighways.org/highways/ca/580/680to238/12.jpg this is on I-580 west at I-238, oddly. I don't know of any Nimitz Fwy signs on I-880 itself. Photo from September 2018.

http://www.corcohighways.org/highways/ca/605/91to105/3.jpg - this is from January 2019 - just past the Alondra Blvd interchange in Norwalk
http://www.corcohighways.org/highways/ca/605/60to10/3.jpg - also from January 2019, just past the 60

http://www.corcohighways.org/highways/ca/90/405to1/2.jpg - this is from January 2020 - just past I-405 heading west

cahwyguy

I had subsequently found some of those, but hadn't found Nimitz. I found quite a few on your pages -- thanks. Do take a look at what I'm missing, and if you find any on your photo travels, please let me know. I do credit the image source. We're all in this together.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cahwyguy on May 25, 2020, 11:14:16 AM
I had subsequently found some of those, but hadn't found Nimitz. I found quite a few on your pages -- thanks. Do take a look at what I'm missing, and if you find any on your photo travels, please let me know. I do credit the image source. We're all in this together.

Now that's a "community"  goal I can always get 100% behind.   ;-)

cahwyguy

Does anyone here, per chance, have a subscription to the newspapers.com newspaper archive? Evidently, some of the photos I could use are there, but their subscription is pricey ($20/mo). I just got the following email, which gives an example of what I'm looking for:

QuoteLove your site so much! I've learned so much from it. My favorite part is reading about the stories behind the names memorialized on the highways. I just really like how dedicated you are to preserving their memories even when nobody else seems to be. Such as the Burbank Police Officer Matthew Pavelka sign on the 5 freeway which has been missing ever since the HOV lane construction there has started. Wonder what his family thinks about that!

Anyway I found an article from the dedication of the bridge that seems to have a picture of Howard Griffin "The late Howard Griffin, founder of the Crescent City American, is shown at his desk in the old American building a few months before his death, February 25, 1959." who there's no picture of on the US 199 page. I'm not a subscriber to the site which you need to be to view the image but there is one that exists, if you wish to look for a way to access it.
Keep up the great work, please!

rte66man

Quote from: cahwyguy on May 26, 2020, 10:11:15 PM
Does anyone here, per chance, have a subscription to the newspapers.com newspaper archive? Evidently, some of the photos I could use are there, but their subscription is pricey ($20/mo). I just got the following email, which gives an example of what I'm looking for:

QuoteLove your site so much! I've learned so much from it. My favorite part is reading about the stories behind the names memorialized on the highways. I just really like how dedicated you are to preserving their memories even when nobody else seems to be. Such as the Burbank Police Officer Matthew Pavelka sign on the 5 freeway which has been missing ever since the HOV lane construction there has started. Wonder what his family thinks about that!

Anyway I found an article from the dedication of the bridge that seems to have a picture of Howard Griffin "The late Howard Griffin, founder of the Crescent City American, is shown at his desk in the old American building a few months before his death, February 25, 1959." who there's no picture of on the US 199 page. I'm not a subscriber to the site which you need to be to view the image but there is one that exists, if you wish to look for a way to access it.
Keep up the great work, please!

Not 'newspapers.com' but 'newspaperarchive.com'. I have a subscription to the former but not the latter.  I looked and the only papers I can get are the Humboldt Standard and the Eureka Times Standard.  I didn't find anything in either, although there are some interesting highway articles for that day.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

cahwyguy

Just letting folks know that I completed Part III of the May updates: Adding in some maps from Joel Windmiller, and more importantly, adding in the items of interest from the 2020 SHOPP. Here are the additional parts of the changelog:

May 2020 Part III:
Added historical information and naming pictures to the following routes, my research(1) and information from Corco(2), Denis Wolcott/Gerald Desmond Bridge Replacement Project(1): I-710(1), I-880(2).

Joel Windmiller has been posting historical information about route adoptions to the California's Historic Highways group on Facebook. With his permission, I've started grabbing that information and incorporating on the corresponding pages for the current highways. This resulted in changes to the following routes:  I-5, US 40, US 50, Route 65, Route 70, Route 89, Route 99, Route 113, Route 244, I-680, I-780.

Worked my way through the 2020 SHOPP adopted at the May 2020 CTC Meeting. The State Highway Operation and Protection Program (SHOPP) is the State Highway System's "fix-it-first"  program that funds the repair and preservation, emergency repairs, safety improvements, and some highway operational improvements on the State Highway System (SHS). By continuously repairing and rehabilitating the SHS, the SHOPP protects the enormous investment that has been made over many decades to create and manage the approximately 50,000 lane-mile SHS. Much of what is in the SHOPP is significant work, but not at the level of interest that impacts these pages. For example, SHOPP funding that simply rehabilitates existing roadways, improves drainage, fixes landscaping, repairs storm damage, adds ADA cutouts, and such does not make a long-term historical impact on a route, or make changes that sometime in future years might be curious about. Some other SHOPP changes, however, are of interest: new roundabouts, potentially rumble strips, realigning a roadway for safety, replacing a bridge -- all can impact the pages. All projects  funded by the SHOPP are limited to capital improvements that do not add  capacity (no new highway lanes) to the SHS, though some new auxiliary lanes are  eligible for SHOPP funding. The SHOPP portfolio of projects is updated every two years, carrying forward  projects programmed in the last two years of the preceding SHOPP and making those last two years of projects the first two years of projects in the new SHOPP. There are also "long lead" SHOPP projects, which require more than four years to develop due to complex environmental and preliminary engineering work. The 2020 SHOPP contains 40 Long Lead projects, valued at $2.93 billion. These projects are authorized to start work on the Project Approval and Environmental Document (PA&ED) phase. Separate authorization addresses the construction phase. Projects are generally divided into nine broad categories: Major Damage Restoration, Collision Reduction, Mandates (such as reserves for relinquishment), Bridge Preservation, Roadway Preservation, Mobility, Roadside Preservation, Facilities, and Multiple Objective.

Contrast the SHOPP with the STIP, which was incorporated in the main May updates. The STIP is a multi-year capital improvement program of transportation projects on and off the State Highway System, funded with revenues from the Transportation Investment Fund and other funding sources. STIP programming generally occurs every two years. With respect to highways, the STIP has two types of projects. Capacity Increasing Highway Operational Improvements, which are improvements that expand the design capacity of the system, and thus are not eligible for SHOPP funding. If regional, they are nominated by the regional agency; if statewide, Caltrans nominates them.  Examples of such projects would be HOV lanes and interchanges, interchange design modifications and upgrades to accommodate traffic volumes that are significantly larger than the original design capability of the existing facility, or truck or slow vehicle lanes on freeways with six or more lanes. There are also non-capacity improvements that could be funded through the SHOPP, but which can be implemented faster through the STIP.

My review of the adopted SHOPP resulted in updates to the following routes: Route 1, Route 3, Route 4, I-5, Route 9, I-10, Route 12, Route 13, I-15, Route 17, Route 20, Route 22, Route 25, Route 26, Route 29, Route 33, Route 35, Route 36, Route 37, Route 39, I-40, Route 41, Route 43, Route 49, US 50, Route 51, Route 52, Route 59, Route 68, Route 70, Route 74, Route 79, I-80, Route 82, Route 84, Route 88, Route 96, Route 99, US 101, I-105, Route 110, Route 120, Route 121, Route 128, Route 133, Route 138, Route 140, Route 145, Route 154, Route 162, Route 165, Route 175, Route 180, Route 184, Route 190, I-215, Route 217, Route 223, Route 237, Route 245, Route 299, US 395, I-405, I-580, I-710. The Route 39 item is particularly amazing: a Long-Lead item "Near Falling Springs, from 1.8 miles north of Crystal Lake Road to Route 2. Rehabilitate and reopen a 4.4 mile segment of Route 39." Who woulda thunk, right? Even more amazing is the schedule: it is programmed in FY26-27, with construction scheduled to start May 2027.

May 2020 Part II:
Completed the update for format and memorial names. Next up: The SHOPP that was approved at the May 2020 CTC Meeting.

ClassicHasClass

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.