News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Former US 101 on Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway

Started by Max Rockatansky, June 04, 2020, 11:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

During 2014 I visited numerous annexes of the Redwood National Park and State Parks system.  One such annex was Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park is primarily accessed via Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway.  Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway was the original alignment of US Route 101 and was replaced in fairly modern times during the 1990s.  Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway is similar to CA 254/Avenue of the Giants in that it is aligned through a grove old growth Coastal Redwoods.  Notably a bypass route of Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park was explored during the 1960s but never went beyond studies.  What is now Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway was once featured as the cover of the October 1935 California Highways and Public Works guide.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/06/former-us-route-101-on-newton-b-drury.html

nexus73

Driving the left lane of the freeway bypass puts one very close to the Jersey barriers.  This 10 mile section of freeway cost $120 million.  By going inland, the altitude rose to the point that snow sometimes shows up.   

Someday I hope to see Caltrans get this section of freeway connected with the sections farther south so a drive to Eureka has a lot less narrow curvy road to deal with. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on June 05, 2020, 10:34:49 AM
Driving the left lane of the freeway bypass puts one very close to the Jersey barriers.  This 10 mile section of freeway cost $120 million.  By going inland, the altitude rose to the point that snow sometimes shows up.   

Someday I hope to see Caltrans get this section of freeway connected with the sections farther south so a drive to Eureka has a lot less narrow curvy road to deal with. 

Rick

I would assume too that the jog had to been wider than normal to get East of the protected parklands and Redwood Groves.  The weather up in that part of the state gets wet and cold fast upon climbing anywhere in elevation.  I've run into snow a couple times on stuff like CA 299, it definitely isn't uncommon. 

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 05, 2020, 10:50:53 AM

Rick

I would assume too that the jog had to been wider than normal to get East of the protected parklands and Redwood Groves.  The weather up in that part of the state gets wet and cold fast upon climbing anywhere in elevation.  I've run into snow a couple times on stuff like CA 299, it definitely isn't uncommon. 

I've even run across snow on the hill between Ukiah and Willits in December & January.  But it sure would be nice to see the nasty stretch between Klamath and Crescent City bypassed by an expressway -- although exactly where to put such a facility might be problematic, as it would traverse several E-W ridges along the way.   

nexus73

C
Quote from: sparker on June 05, 2020, 10:06:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 05, 2020, 10:50:53 AM

Rick

I would assume too that the jog had to been wider than normal to get East of the protected parklands and Redwood Groves.  The weather up in that part of the state gets wet and cold fast upon climbing anywhere in elevation.  I’ve run into snow a couple times on stuff like CA 299, it definitely isn’t uncommon. 

I've even run across snow on the hill between Ukiah and Willits in December & January.  But it sure would be nice to see the nasty stretch between Klamath and Crescent City bypassed by an expressway -- although exactly where to put such a facility might be problematic, as it would traverse several E-W ridges along the way.   

Caltrans had engineers already lay out the route.  It could have been either a 2-lane or 4-lane highway.  Given that the current stretch is always trying to slide into the Pacific Ocean, thus causing closures for which no decent detours are available, then add in the cost of constant repairs, Caltrans' leadership really blew it bigtime when they did not build the proposed new route. 

Executions are in order.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kkt

Is there a map available of the proposed bypass route?

At least when there's snow on the Prarie Creek bypass section of 101, the original route is still available.

nexus73

Quote from: kkt on June 08, 2020, 02:32:39 PM

At least when there's snow on the Prarie Creek bypass section of 101, the original route is still available.

No idea if one is around.  Caltrans had a website change for the district that covers Del Norte and Humboldt Counties.  That is where I found about the proposed inland route before that change.

Rick

kkt

Quote from: nexus73 on June 08, 2020, 06:34:36 PM
Quote from: kkt on June 08, 2020, 02:32:39 PM

No idea if one is around.  Caltrans had a website change for he district that covers Del Norte and Humboldt Counties.  That is where I found about the proposed inland route before that change.

Rick

I was afraid of that... lots of people are afraid of loss of privacy because something embarassing that got on the www when they were 19 can stick around forever... but the reverse is also true, things that you wish would stick around disappear.

Max Rockatansky

I made some updates to the Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway blog after visiting Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park recently.  I did add some references to how US Route 101 originally diverged from Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway onto Coastal Drive until 1966 (following the destruction of the Douglas Memorial Bridge) and a lot more trail photos.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/06/former-us-route-101-on-newton-b-drury.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.