News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

California Observations

Started by Brandon, December 28, 2011, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: pctech on August 26, 2015, 10:24:30 AMHow far behind is Caltrans in installing freeway exit numbers throughout CA?

AIUI, Caltrans considers an exit to be numbered if there is at least one exit tab in the action signing sequence, or the gore sign has an exit number, and pretty much all of the exits in the state now meet this very loose standard.  Caltrans has modestly upped the pace of sign replacements but even at the current rate it would still take decades to get exit numbers on every gore and action sign for every exit.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheStranger

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 26, 2015, 11:45:25 AM
Quote from: pctech on August 26, 2015, 10:24:30 AMHow far behind is Caltrans in installing freeway exit numbers throughout CA?

AIUI, Caltrans considers an exit to be numbered if there is at least one exit tab in the action signing sequence, or the gore sign has an exit number, and pretty much all of the exits in the state now meet this very loose standard.  Caltrans has modestly upped the pace of sign replacements but even at the current rate it would still take decades to get exit numbers on every gore and action sign for every exit.

Which makes the non-numbering of the eastbound 50/Business 80/Route 99 split in Sacramento extremely hard to understand (as those signs were installed ca. 2009, as other junctions in the area were already in the process of receiving full exit number signage!).

Chris Sampang

roadfro

Quote from: TheStranger on August 26, 2015, 11:48:43 AM

Which makes the non-numbering of the eastbound 50/Business 80/Route 99 split in Sacramento extremely hard to understand (as those signs were installed ca. 2009, as other junctions in the area were already in the process of receiving full exit number signage!).
Isn't that exit a TOTSO (turn off to stay on)? That might explain the lack of number...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

TheStranger

Quote from: roadfro on August 26, 2015, 04:17:10 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on August 26, 2015, 11:48:43 AM

Isn't that exit a TOTSO (turn off to stay on)? That might explain the lack of number...

It is, but then other similar exits (Route 1/I-280 split in Daly City, I-5/Route 99 in Wheeler Ridge) ARE numbered.

I also recall that the I-80/Business 80 junction in West Sacramento is not numbered off of I-80 (while the I-80/Business 80 split near Foothill Farms IS numbered).
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.