News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Demolition Of Old Bay Bridge To Take Years

Started by cpzilliacus, March 14, 2013, 12:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

CBS San Francisco: Demolition Of Old Bay Bridge To Take Years

QuoteWhile the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge will open to traffic in September, the work needed to take down the old roadway is expected to take years.

Quote"These bridges define us...in some ways as much as the bay itself,"  said Brad McCrea, regulatory director of the Bay Conservation and Development Commission, the state agency that oversees protection of the bay.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Lytton

Damn.

7 years just to take down a bridge?
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

nexus73

Here's how you take down the bridge quickly...use a smart bomb...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 14, 2013, 12:20:39 PM
CBS San Francisco: Demolition Of Old Bay Bridge To Take Years

QuoteWhile the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge will open to traffic in September, the work needed to take down the old roadway is expected to take years.

Quote"These bridges define us...in some ways as much as the bay itself,"  said Brad McCrea, regulatory director of the Bay Conservation and Development Commission, the state agency that oversees protection of the bay.

non sequitur.  if the bridge didn't define us, it would take less time?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kkt

Quote from: Lytton on March 20, 2013, 11:09:30 AM
Damn.

7 years just to take down a bridge?

I don't see the number 7 in the story.  It just says "years".

roadfro

Further down in the story, there's an estimate of seven years and $240 million mentioned.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alps

Well, the cheap way is to just knock the bridge into the bay. I presume they're salvaging the materials so as not to foul the water and destroy the precious endangered clams or whatever.

mapman1071

The Transbay Tube crosses diag NW to SE under the center of the old span. Caltrans does not want to disrupt BART operations thru the tube if they use normal demilition.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on March 20, 2013, 11:44:58 PM
Well, the cheap way is to just knock the bridge into the bay. I presume they're salvaging the materials so as not to foul the water and destroy the precious endangered clams or whatever.

is the east side of the bay used as a shipping channel?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

andy3175

More on the old bay bridge eastern span demolition ... a new plan.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_28663363/caltrans-seeking-permit-bring-down-bay-bridge-support

QuoteCaltrans is seeking permits to demolish the largest pier of the old eastern span of the Bay Bridge with explosives, a procedure that could be dangerous to native marine mammals, but Caltrans officials say it would have the least impact on bay wildlife.

Federal agencies are still taking public comment on the planned implosion, which if approved would take place in November.

Much of the obsolete bridge is slowly being deconstructed piece by piece, but Pier E3, a 268-foot-tall chunk of concrete set in the bay mud, could be pulverized in only six seconds.

Caltrans had originally intended to use cofferdams that would clear water from the area around the pier so crews could gradually demolish it, but such work could take many months, Caltrans spokeswoman Leah Robinson-Leach said. The agency determined a controlled implosion was the most efficient, cost-effective and environmentally sound way to remove the pier.

The planned demolition procedure would involve setting up an "air curtain" of pipes blowing compressed air through the water around the pier. More than 600 small explosives would be set in the concrete and detonated simultaneously, collapsing the rubble within the air curtain.

The biggest risk to surrounding wildlife -- including seals, sea lions and porpoises -- would be the sound of the explosion, which could injure or even kill the marine mammals.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.