News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 19, 2021, 09:59:26 PM
Quote from: lstone19 on February 19, 2021, 08:56:26 PM
I-90 is only three lanes west of the Elgin plaza. Haven't been through Waukegan in years.

There are four lanes each way on I-90 between Randall Road and the Elgin Toll Plaza:  Three throughs plus one auxiliary lane.  Some long range transportation plans have I-90 eventually going to four through lanes west of Randall.

There will be no need for eight lanes west of Randall for the foreseeable future. I honestly think we'll see I-88 six laned to Dekalb before I-90 is widened west of Randall Road.

SSOWorld

Quote from: GeekJedi on February 19, 2021, 02:41:00 PM
I was on the Tri-State from the WI state line south to I-90, then I-90 west to 290, and I can confirm that all references to cash tolls have been removed and replaced with I-Pass signs. Also, when entering the Tri-State from WI, there is a new sign that details I-Pass or pay online.

It's pretty much a given at this point that manned booths will not be back. They've been trying to find a way to eliminate them for some time without causing a backlash, and COVID has done it for them.
Does this include the coin drop/Credit card payment lanes on the exits?  When I went through in late December they were still there on 94/294/90 (355 did not have any south of 88.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hobsini2

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 20, 2021, 10:56:52 AM
I was on the Tri-State from the WI state line south to I-90, then I-90 west to 290, and I can confirm that all references to cash tolls have been removed and replaced with I-Pass signs. Also, when entering the Tri-State from WI, there is a new sign that details I-Pass or pay online.

It's pretty much a given at this point that manned booths will not be back. They've been trying to find a way to eliminate them for some time without causing a backlash, and COVID has done it for them.
Does this include the coin drop/Credit card payment lanes on the exits?  When I went through in late December they were still there on 94/294/90 (355 did not have any south of 88.)

From what I can tell Scott, the coin/credit machines are being removed everywhere too.  All of the coin basket ramps are now I-Pass or Pay Online along 88. The "old" plazas still remain for now at Highland Ave, Winfield Rd, Farnsworth Ave and Orchard Rd but I wouldn't be surprised if they get replaced soon with the toll gantries.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 20, 2021, 04:29:53 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on February 20, 2021, 10:56:52 AM

From what I can tell Scott, the coin/credit machines are being removed everywhere too.  All of the coin basket ramps are now I-Pass or Pay Online along 88. The "old" plazas still remain for now at Highland Ave, Winfield Rd, Farnsworth Ave and Orchard Rd but I wouldn't be surprised if they get replaced soon with the toll gantries.

they need to redo tolling to be done at lots of points like the EOE so the cost is more even. OR maybe do an Full ETR 407 setup.

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on February 19, 2021, 11:37:16 PM
There will be no need for eight lanes west of Randall for the foreseeable future. I honestly think we'll see I-88 six laned to Dekalb before I-90 is widened west of Randall Road.

There's a lot more development currently happening along I-90 west of Randall than along I-88.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 20, 2021, 10:55:05 PM

There's a lot more development currently happening along I-90 west of Randall than along I-88.

It's still not necessary though, and probably still won't be for a while. Especially with the virus drastically changing traffic patterns.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

I-39

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 21, 2021, 09:01:20 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on February 20, 2021, 10:55:05 PM

It's still not necessary though, and probably still won't be for a while. Especially with the virus drastically changing traffic patterns.

Indeed. The best case scenario I see is I-90 is eight laned to IL-47, but even that is decades off.

ET21

We'll be getting a temporary express lane on southbound I-294 from the Oasis to St. Charles road. They are beginning the next major reconstruction phase. Details below:

"Once the advance work is complete, in March work will continue to shift southbound I-294 to the left with one southbound lane traveling in a counterflow lane on the northbound side of I-294 between the Bensenville Yard Railroad Bridge and Wolf Road. Additional traffic shifts will be scheduled in March and April in both directions, including a shift on southbound I-294 that will extend the counterflow lane from Wolf Road to St. Charles Road, creating a continuous counterflow from the Bensenville Yard Railroad Bridge to St. Charles Road in April.

Southbound traffic entering the counterflow lane at the Bensenville Yard Railroad Bridge will not be able to change lanes until just past St. Charles Road. The counterflow lane will include shoulders and several emergency pull-out areas for drivers in need of stopping.

The traffic shifts and counterflow lane will remain in this configuration through the end of 2021 as work begins to reconstruct and widen I-294 between Wolf Road and St. Charles Road, including rebuilding the bridges carrying I-294 over North Avenue, Grand Avenue and the Union Pacific Railroad and constructing the ramps that will connect I-294 to the new I-490 Tollway. Repair work is also scheduled on the Wolf Road Bridge over I-294.

Additional counterflow lanes that will move northbound traffic onto the southbound side of I-294 will be needed as the roadway rebuilding and widening continues in 2022."
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opkl2

The tollway confirmed today (Feb. 25, 2021) that cash collections are going away permanently.

SSOWorld

Considering they've been changing signs this was predictable.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

I-39

Quote from: Opkl2 on February 25, 2021, 06:51:39 PM
The tollway confirmed today (Feb. 25, 2021) that cash collections are going away permanently.

They may as well just start demolishing the cash plazas now.

KMOX4

With them going i-pass only, Any alt route to shirpike?

SSOWorld

Quote from: KMOX4 on February 26, 2021, 01:00:34 AM

Not I-Pass only - just cashless.  You can sign up for pay-by-plate (albiet at cash rates and only on a 14-day temporary basis) so you can go through without an I-Pass/EZ-Pass.  There are routes that parallel the toll roads - just be prepared to go slow and run into a lot of 4-way stops and traffic lights.
Quote from: I-39 on February 25, 2021, 11:17:21 PM

They may as well just start demolishing the cash plazas now.
I think they will be starting in March.  Local Chicago media hint at this but no details are given as per usual.  The tollway website has not posted any news releases regarding this move, but those living around the roads could see it happening with the permanent sign changes at the plazas and the takedown of whatever automated machines and lane markings of the cash lanes at some plazas restricting them to authorized personnel only.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

NWI_Irish96

You didn't specify a route, so I'm going to guess you mean the short toll section of I-80. The shunpike route would be IL 394, US 30, I-57, which adds at least 15 minutes.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JoePCool14

Oh my gosh, who could've had this on their 2021 Bingo card??? /s

The question that remains now is what will be done using the space that existing plazas take up. It would be really nice if they could turn some of them into mini-oases with just fuel, a convenience store, and maybe one fast foot joint.

Imagine if ISTHA split the highway and built something like this in the middle, a-la the classic Chicago Skyway McDonald's! (In my dreams...)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

KMOX4

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 26, 2021, 07:35:55 AM

You didn't specify a route, so I'm going to guess you mean the short toll section of I-80. The shunpike route would be IL 394, US 30, I-57, which adds at least 15 minutes.
I mean by a few routes, Going towards western wisconsin near rockford,
Heading towars to iowa
I know how to get to other parts of wisconsin.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: KMOX4 on February 26, 2021, 11:24:46 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on February 26, 2021, 07:35:55 AM

I mean by a few routes, Going towards western wisconsin near rockford,
Heading towars to iowa
I know how to get to other parts of wisconsin.

Depends on where you are starting, but I-80 and I-39 are going to be your non-toll ways to get to Iowa and Rockford. If you're starting out farther north and heading to Rockford, US 20 is going to be your best bet but that's going to be slow. It's a lot of effort to avoid tolls.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

KMOX4

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 26, 2021, 09:55:13 AM

Oh my gosh, who could've had this on their 2021 Bingo card??? /s

The question that remains now is what will be done using the space that existing plazas take up. It would be really nice if they could turn some of them into mini-oases with just fuel, a convenience store, and maybe one fast foot joint.

Imagine if ISTHA split the highway and built something like this in the middle, a-la the classic Chicago Skyway McDonald's! (In my dreams...)

More lanes at full speed will be nice at some places.

Others use the space for more ramps? I need to update my I-294 / I-94 plan.

Also later on more tolling points like the EOE?

thspfc

Why does ISTHA sign some exits so far in advance? At the IL-47 interchange there's a sign that says "Genoa Road 22 Miles" . Why? And why that exit specifically? IL-23 is a more important interchange, and it's much closer to IL-47. US-20's Marengo exit is also signed at IL-47, and even that isn't needed. For "minor"  exits such as these, two BGSes in total is enough: one 1-2 miles away, and one right at the exit.

Brandon

Quote from: thspfc on February 26, 2021, 06:54:48 PM
Why does ISTHA sign some exits so far in advance? At the IL-47 interchange there's a sign that says "Genoa Road 22 Miles" . Why? And why that exit specifically? IL-23 is a more important interchange, and it's much closer to IL-47. US-20's Marengo exit is also signed at IL-47, and even that isn't needed. For "minor"  exits such as these, two BGSes in total is enough: one 1-2 miles away, and one right at the exit.

ISTHA signs the next exit, no matter how far away it is located.  Personally, I prefer it to having a silly "Next Exit x Miles" sign.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thspfc

Quote from: Brandon on February 26, 2021, 07:10:58 PM

ISTHA signs the next exit, no matter how far away it is located.  Personally, I prefer it to having a silly "Next Exit x Miles" sign.
Oh, absolutely. But I don't think that either are needed, unless the next exit is less than a mile or two away from the one where the sign is.

lstone19

The IL-23 exit is new. Most likely, they haven't updated the advance signs yet.

Revive 755

Why does ISTHA sign some exits so far in advance? At the IL-47 interchange there's a sign that says "Genoa Road 22 Miles" . Why? And why that exit specifically? IL-23 is a more important interchange, and it's much closer to IL-47.

Genoa Road is signed instead of IL 23 at IL 47 because the IL 23 interchange only opened in the past few years and ISTHA hasn't changed the signs.

As to the earlier discussion on shunpike options for the tollways:

* I-94/northern Tri-State:  US 41 (expressway/high type arterial route)

* I-355 north of I-55:  IL 83 (mix of expressway, freeway, and arterial roads)

* I-355 south of I-55:  Not really a good option here, though IL 83, IL 171, and Bell Road partially work.

* I-88 east of Aurora:  IL 56/Butterfield Road (lots of signals)

* I-88 west of Aurora:  US 30 (lots of slow towns east of I-39, not as bad west of I-39) or IL 38 (very slow through DeKalb and Rochelle)

* I-90 west of I-290 to Rockford:  US 20 (lots of signals in the urbanized portions and multiple 30 mph sections through towns west of Elgin)

* I-39/I-90:  Perryville Road, IL 173, and IL 251 (lots of signals) or Business 20 and IL 76 (if coming from the east, lots of signals around Belvidere)

* The I-80/I-294 joint section:  Usually worth just paying the toll over the numerous photo-enforced signals on US 6

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 26, 2021, 10:12:11 PM
Why does ISTHA sign some exits so far in advance? At the IL-47 interchange there's a sign that says "Genoa Road 22 Miles" . Why? And why that exit specifically? IL-23 is a more important interchange, and it's much closer to IL-47.

Genoa Road is signed instead of IL 23 at IL 47 because the IL 23 interchange only opened in the past few years and ISTHA hasn't changed the signs.

As to the earlier discussion on shunpike options for the tollways:

* I-355 north of I-55:  IL 83 (mix of expressway, freeway, and arterial roads) ALSO I-294 from I-90 to I-55

I-90 form about IL-25 to end of toll road

IL-72

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.