News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 11, 2024, 01:45:27 PM
Quote from: Quimby on January 11, 2024, 01:12:07 PM
I-Pass transponders are officially being replaced by windshield stickers.  Stickers will be available by the end of January, but motorists can keep using their existing transponders until they expire.

https://patch.com/illinois/across-il/il-tollway-transponders-being-replaced-stickers-report

Nothing said about out-of-state I-PASS owners.  I assumed (perhaps in error) that previously ISTHA mailed a new transponder when the current one expires.  I live outside of Detroit; I don't want to have to drive to Chicago to get a sticker when my transponder expires later this year.

Nope. When my last transponder expired, I had to physically go to Illlinois to get it replaced.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 11, 2024, 01:48:03 PM
I-Pass transponders are officially being replaced by windshield stickers.  Stickers will be available by the end of January, but motorists can keep using their existing transponders until they expire.

https://patch.com/illinois/across-il/il-tollway-transponders-being-replaced-stickers-report

Nothing said about out-of-state I-PASS owners.  I assumed (perhaps in error) that previously ISTHA mailed a new transponder when the current one expires.  I live outside of Detroit; I don't want to have to drive to Chicago to get a sticker when my transponder expires later this year.

Nope. When my last transponder expired, I had to physically go to Illlinois to get it replaced.

You can create an Indiana Toll Road account online and order one from them.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

KelleyCook

With the License Plate readers that Illinois now have, I personally found it easier the past few years to not bother with their transponders (or stickers) and just wait for the bill to arrive.  Then you register online and Illinois Tollway will just autobill me's a month after I drive through.  More importantly, they don't keep $35 "in reserve"

JREwing78

Not exactly a hardship in my case, since I live 15 minutes from the Illinois line. You could also order a new transponder be shipped to you, and then you just apply it to your account. It just happened to be quicker/easier/cheaper in my case to stop at the Road Ranger at Exit 1 in South Beloit and get the new transponder.

It doesn't have to be an Illinois EZ-Pass transponder to get the 50% discount off ISTHA's base toll rate; an EZ-Pass from any state will work. One round trip from Wisconsin to southern Michigan and the transponder pays for itself.

Brandon

This is probably in preparation for acceptance of SunPass Mini transponders as well as compatibility with K-Tag, PikePass, and the Texas transponders (all stickers).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on January 12, 2024, 05:06:54 PM

This is probably in preparation for acceptance of SunPass Mini transponders as well as compatibility with K-Tag, PikePass, and the Texas transponders (all stickers).
could be a defection from E-Z Pass too
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mgk920

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 13, 2024, 08:23:16 AM

My read of the article says that this is being adopted by all of the agencies nationwide that are part of the E-E-Z Pass consortium and will be usable throughout by February.

Hmmm, I wonder if the old transponders will make good collectibles or even Christmas tree ornaments . . .

Mike

lstone19

Quote from: mgk920 on January 13, 2024, 12:50:51 PM

My read of the article says that this is being adopted by all of the agencies nationwide that are part of the E-E-Z Pass consortium and will be usable throughout by February.

Hmmm, I wonder if the old transponders will make good collectibles or even Christmas tree ornaments . . .

Mike
I didn't read it that way. I took it to me all EZ-Pass roads will be able to read ISTHA stickers, not that every agency is moving to stickers.

I wonder how this will affect rental cars. I travel with my own transponder. Considering the outrageous fees most rental car companies charge for using their own transponder or pay by plate, I suspect if I can't use my own account, I'll just shunpike my shorter trips as it won't be worth it for the short trips I make when I'm in the Chicago area.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: lstone19 on January 13, 2024, 01:26:18 PM

Mike
I didn't read it that way. I took it to me all EZ-Pass roads will be able to read ISTHA stickers, not that every agency is moving to stickers.

I wonder how this will affect rental cars. I travel with my own transponder. Considering the outrageous fees most rental car companies charge for using their own transponder or pay by plate, I suspect if I can't use my own account, I'll just shunpike my shorter trips as it won't be worth it for the short trips I make when I'm in the Chicago area.

Indiana definitely not moving to stickers. I just had an old transponder go bad and had to get it replaced.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

GeekJedi

You can have them send another one to you and ship the other one back. I've done that a few times over the years.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Revive 755

There's an assembly with an I-490 shield and a diagonal arrow posted where the ramp to I-490 will branch off the EB I-90 C-D roadway.  The assembly is currently facing eastward (it's visible to westbound I-90 traffic).  There's also a turned exit gore sign a little further west - looks like the eastbound exit to I-490 will be 74.

ET21

I'm hoping to make a drive down Elmhurst/York Rd in a few weeks to check out the interchange progress. Haven't been down that way in 3 years since I moved.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

wanderer2575

Quote from: KelleyCook on January 11, 2024, 08:10:28 PM

With the License Plate readers that Illinois now have, I personally found it easier the past few years to not bother with their transponders (or stickers) and just wait for the bill to arrive.  Then you register online and Illinois Tollway will just autobill me's a month after I drive through.  More importantly, they don't keep $35 "in reserve"

Thing is, I don't use it in Illinois.  In the umpteen years I've had it, I've driven on the Tollway only once.  I have it because with some regularity (at least once a year) I use it in OH and PA, plus I've used it many times in other eastern states.  The reserve balance doesn't bother me; I'm more averse to paying a monthly service fee.

kphoger

Collect as many as you can from people.  Box them up.  White elephant gift!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 14, 2024, 10:01:01 PM
There's an assembly with an I-490 shield and a diagonal arrow posted where the ramp to I-490 will branch off the EB I-90 C-D roadway.  The assembly is currently facing eastward (it's visible to westbound I-90 traffic).  There's also a turned exit gore sign a little further west - looks like the eastbound exit to I-490 will be 74.
That sounds about right, as Exit 73 is the Elmhurst Road exit. Does anyone know what the exit number will be off I-294? (I'm guessing 36, but it might be 35 as well, being almost equidistant between the two existing interchanges, I-290 and IL 19.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

edwaleni

Does anyone have any picture updates on the 294-490-390 work going down on the west side of ORD?

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on January 16, 2024, 12:01:22 AM
Does anyone have any picture updates on the 294-490-390 work going down on the west side of ORD?

A few pics are posted at the Tollway website.
https://www.illinoistollway.com/i-490-tollway-project-construction-cameras#I-490/I-294%20Cameras

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on January 16, 2024, 08:52:49 AM

https://www.illinoistollway.com/i-490-tollway-project-construction-cameras#I-490/I-294%20Cameras

Thanks. I recognize no one is going to go stand in 4 inches of snow and sub zero wind chill just to snap a photo or two, but I just had not seen a physical update in a long time.

74/171FAN

Quote from: edwaleni on January 16, 2024, 10:03:06 AM
Quote from: Rick Powell on January 16, 2024, 08:52:49 AM

Thanks. I recognize no one is going to go stand in 4 inches of snow and sub zero wind chill just to snap a photo or two, but I just had not seen a physical update in a long time.

I am sure some road enthusiast is up to the challenge especially now that you bring it up.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mvak36

This is probably a stupid question, but whenever I-490 is completed, how would someone coming in from the west on IL390 get to the O'Hare terminal? Would they have to take 490 to either I-90 or some other exit to get off on a local road?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

kphoger

Quote from: mvak36 on January 16, 2024, 03:37:17 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but whenever I-490 is completed, how would someone coming in from the west on IL390 get to the O'Hare terminal? Would they have to take 490 to either I-90 or some other exit to get off on a local road?

Personally, I'd probably still take Irving park to Mannheim, but I'm probably an oddball.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

lstone19

The 90/490 interchange will be a full interchange so 390>490>90>O'Hare will be an option. Or, much as you would today, exit it to York Rd (I think there'll be an exit there - otherwise the last exit to streets and then to York Rd.) and then go either way - north to Touhy>Higgins>Mannheim to O'Hare or south to Irving Park>Mannheim>O'Hare.

I used to live in Roselle and 390>York>Irving Park>Mannheim was usually the better option than 390>290>90 (390 only goes to Busse right now but then you just continued straight on the future frontage road / former Thorndale to York).

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: lstone19 on January 16, 2024, 03:50:25 PM

The 90/490 interchange will be a full interchange so 390>490>90>O'Hare will be an option. Or, much as you would today, exit it to York Rd (I think there'll be an exit there - otherwise the last exit to streets and then to York Rd.) and then go either way - north to Touhy>Higgins>Mannheim to O'Hare or south to Irving Park>Mannheim>O'Hare.

I used to live in Roselle and 390>York>Irving Park>Mannheim was usually the better option than 390>290>90 (390 only goes to Busse right now but then you just continued straight on the future frontage road / former Thorndale to York).

Will it be possible to do 390 to 490 to 294 to 190?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

lstone19

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 16, 2024, 07:12:42 PM
Quote from: lstone19 on January 16, 2024, 03:50:25 PM

Will it be possible to do 390 to 490 to 294 to 190?

Per the drawings posted on the Tollway's website, the 490/294 interchange will be to/from the south only. So no, you can't go 490 south to 294 north.

hobsini2

You can not go north on 294 from 490 in the current configuration plan.
https://www.illinoistollway.com/projects/490/294-interchange-project
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.