AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 05:32:25 AM 
Started by mrpablue - Last post by Brandon
Mods, I'm not sure this is a great idea.

on: Today at 05:31:42 AM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by Brandon
Both PA and La both use local destinations over the big cities i.e Hazelton and Carlisle on I-81 over Wilkes-Barre or Harrisburg.  Bay St. Louis on I-10 east at I-59 over Mobile or even Biloxi.  Even Slidell leaving NOLA on I-10 over Mobile and for I-12 Hammond is more important over its state Capital. 

Same minds at work at two completely different states.

Slidell is used as that's where the interstate (10) turns at a major junction.  Bay St Louis is where the freeway ended at one point, and the control has never been updated.

on: Today at 04:31:53 AM 
Started by paulthemapguy - Last post by DandyDan
As far as local projects go, IA 122 is getting rebuilt in Mason City http://www.kimt.com/content/news/Iowa-DOT-reveal-Highway-122-project-478235423.html

on: Today at 04:01:42 AM 
Started by mrpablue - Last post by mrpablue
A typical roadgeek’s least favorite number, person, color, place, etc. Go!

on: Today at 03:58:06 AM 
Started by 1 - Last post by DandyDan
I would love to know how no one ever complains about the fact that the segment of I-43 between Beloit and Milwaukee  gets an odd number even though it is an east-west route. Granted it's more NE-SW, but it bears no real relationship to the N-S segment. I highly doubt that someone from Beloit takes I-43 the whole way to Green Bay, largely because the stadium is off of 41. I would call the Beloit-Milwaukee section of I-43 I-92.

on: Today at 03:26:58 AM 
Started by GenExpwy - Last post by index
"eSwatini" sounds like a drink you'd order at a bar.

It sounds like a lot of things. When I first read "eSwatini", the first thing that came to my mind was a video I had seen ages ago. For some reason, "Swatini" refreshed my memory on this video, I had no idea I even remembered it until now. Funny the name change of a country reminded me of a tiny little ridiculous memory from a while ago.

on: Today at 02:36:37 AM 
Started by Grzrd - Last post by Scott5114
The thing really chapping my @$$ now is the Oklahoma state legislature wants to raise the fuel tax for the first time since the early 1990's, but the tax hike won't go to roads, it will go into public education to supposedly fund teacher pay raises.
[...]
At the same time, it's complete bull$#!+ that our state insists on coming up with stupid, regressive schemes to fund any improvements to public education. Pulling the funding out fuel taxes is Stealing from Peter to pay Paul. Unfortunately we have a state with no shortage of selfish, ignorant voters who think stuff like good roads or good schools shouldn't cost anything.

Looks like we'll probably be shambling along from crisis to crisis. This time it's education, next it will be transportation, who knows what's after that. This year's Oklahoma gubernatorial election is going to be critical.

on: Today at 02:22:56 AM 
Started by 1 - Last post by Road Hog
Arkansas: Duplication allowed with no restrictions. Two state routes can have the same number; this is a common occurrence.

Same applies for Oklahoma, although duplicate state routes are not as commonplace as in Arkansas. Most duplicate routes were either once joined but the middle section decommissioned (often because of the introduction of a higher-level route in the corridor, but sometimes simply because a highway was not needed there) or are two entirely unrelated routes, with one numbered to match a highway in an adjoining state.
Arkansas does, of course, have numerous disjointed highways with the same number.

But I think the intent of the OP was duplication of numbers across designations (state/US/interstate). Arkansas until recently did have a restriction on duplication (with exceptions for future interstates, i.e. AR 440/I-440), but finally relaxed it when I-49 came on the scene because of US 49 on the other side of the state.

on: Today at 01:50:07 AM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by jay8g
The Alaskan Way Viaduct has a pair of original, custom gantries, which I've always liked a lot. In fact, at least one of them is planned to be preserved as part of the waterfront program once the viaduct is removed.

on: Today at 01:41:16 AM 
Started by agentsteel53 - Last post by adventurernumber1
Something strange has been happening to me lately with Google Maps. This probably happened to me for the first time about a week ago, and it has happened several times since then, including a few hours ago tonight. The issue is that when I turn Terrain on on Google Maps (the turning it on part works just fine), and then I try to turn it off, it doesn't respond. The only way to undo it is to actually go back to whatever was previously on that tab (the last thing I searched on Google Maps, directions I had, or last setting I touched, etc.), and this can be irksome, and sometimes it might go too far (where it will "X" out of Google Maps altogether, due to going all the way to the beginning of the history of that tab). This is definitely new, and it is quite annoying, but I don't know why it's happening. I use Terrain a lot on Google Maps, because I find it interesting to learn of the topography of the area, and knowing such things helps me understand roads much better as well, and why they traverse the land the way they do. Hopefully this issue will be fixed soon.  :-/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.