News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US routes: your favorite, the one you've been on most, and one you've never been

Started by texaskdog, November 23, 2017, 10:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Notice Fritzowl hasn't chimed in...

Favorite: None
Been on the most: Who knows
Never been on: Don't care they should all be drawn and quartered anyways

oscar

Favorite: probably US 395 (abundant hot spring soaking along the way, and the friendliest border crossing at its north end)

Most traveled: US 50 (I live a block north of the highway, and it almost always was part of my commute to and from work for about a quarter-century)

Never been: I've driven at least a little of every primary (non-bannered) US highway, but my least-traveled is US 57 at less than 1%
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

texaskdog

Thanks for your answers but the original third that seems to be confusing many now is "one you MOST want to go on that you've never been on"

akotchi

Favorite:  U.S. 1, particularly the Overseas Highway section in the Florida Keys

Most Traveled:  U.S. 1  (on my commute for 30 years; also have been on many segments along the full length)

One Not On, but Most Want to:  probably U.S. 101
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SectorZ on November 26, 2017, 07:13:36 PM

Favorite: None
Been on the most: Who knows
Never been on: Don't care they should all be drawn and quartered anyways
He never posts here
Favorite: US 1
Most been on: US 1
Never been on: Most, but the one that I want to go on is US 101
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

Favorite: US 101, especially the rural sections in northern California, Oregon, and Washington
Most been on: US 101, sadly though mostly on the freeway sections in the SF Bay Area
Never been on: Lot of interesting choices, but the most obvious is US 1

US 89

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 26, 2017, 09:45:03 PM

He never posts here

If you look at his stats, every single one of his 1116 posts is in Fictional Highways.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: roadguy2 on November 27, 2017, 12:24:44 AM

He never posts here

If you look at his stats, every single one of his 1116 posts is in Fictional Highways.

Not to hijack the thread, but makes you wonder since Fictional Highways isn't visible to anyone without an account here how he found out about this place as a dumping ground for his ideas.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 27, 2017, 12:26:44 AM

He never posts here

Not to hijack the thread, but makes you wonder since Fictional Highways isn't visible to anyone without an account here how he found out about this place as a dumping ground for his ideas.
It is mentioned a lot. I knew it existed well before I joined.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

He never posts here

Actually, one of the biggest reasons I joined was so I could see the fictional forums. While lurking I got frustrated from being unable to open links to fictional threads.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadguy2 on November 27, 2017, 03:27:32 PM

He never posts here

Actually, one of the biggest reasons I joined was so I could see the fictional forums. While lurking I got frustrated from being unable to open links to fictional threads.
I think it is to encorage users to join rather than prevent another Fritz(Because that oviously would not work). Worked for me.

bzakharin

I don't have a favorite. Most frequent would be US 202 since my place of employment was on it for 4 years. Most frequent that I still drive on is a tie between US 9 and 40. I've never been on most of them, but the closest is probably US 9W, maybe 209.

ColossalBlocks

Favorite: US 412.

One I've been on the most: US 61.

One I've never been: US 95 (although there are a lot more, US 95 is one of them).
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

D-Dey65

This is a tough one;

Favorite; 13, because of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel.
One I've been on the most: I can't decide if it's 19, 41, 98, or 301.
One I've never been: Sadly most of them.

Rothman

Favorite: US 202
Most used:  Currently, US 9 or US 9W.  Also drove on US 5 quite frequently and US 20.
Want to drive on more: US 83, but haven't been on US 46 at all.  Would rather drive through nowhere than a parallel route to I-80 in NJ any day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Super Mateo

Favorite: US 52.  I've never been on the MN or ND portions, but there's a great variety of road types and scenery.  IA has an island town and a narrow bridge.  IL is mostly two lane roads through the plains, but also has urban arterials in Joliet and Kankakee.  IN has a lengthy 4-lane segment and urban expressways.  OH has a downtown journey and a scenic river drive.  WV is, in most of the state, a constantly winding road going through the mountains.  VA has a scenic trip up to Big Walker Lookout and that infamous stretch south of Fancy Cap.  NC is an expressway in the north half and a two lane rural in the south.  I've done little of the SC segment and the KY portion is barely anything.

Most used:  US 45.  As a kid, Orland Square, Orland Park Place, and places nearby were places they often went to shop.  As an adult, I still use it a lot.  I went to a college not far from it.  I work less than a mile away from it.  I've used it to travel to and from Rosemont when I have time to kill or just don't want to pay tolls.  Honorable second to US 6.

Most wanted:  Not sure.  Any 2dus with a number greater than 74 works because then I know I've found a new area.  If I have to pick one, US 89 sounds really interesting.

Ian

Favorite: US 163 through Monument Valley in Utah/Arizona is probably the coolest road I've ever driven. US 34 through Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado is definitely a very close second.

Most Used: I'd say it's a tie between US 1 in Pennsylvania (goes right around my hometown) or US 2 in Maine (currently live right off of it).

Never driven but would like to travel: I really want to take on the challenge that is US 550 (Million Dollar Highway) in Colorado. I've heard it's a rather sketchy road to drive on what with its steep cliffs right up against the edge without any guardrails, but it seems like it's a very pretty drive. I've done the New Mexico portion south of Bloomfield, which is incredibly beautiful all its own.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.