News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 460/Corridor Q meet recap

Started by hbelkins, September 08, 2013, 11:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: Laura Bianca on September 17, 2013, 10:56:14 PM
Quote from: Steve on September 16, 2013, 09:18:52 PM
If anyone is coming down the I-81 corridor to get to and from the meet, please let me know in personal email (webmaster @ alpsroads (net)). I want to see if I can reel in Michael Summa to join us, but he cannot stay overnight - has to leave his own home in the morning and return in the evening.

I know you said to let you know in an email, but since it relates to my question, I'm going to say it here. Mike and I plan to stay in Blacksburg Friday night. We will be driving back up the I-81 corridor.

Here's the thing: we were going to clinch a bunch of counties in south west Virginia after the meet. Firstly, for anyone who knows the area, is it reasonable to clinch the following in the following timetable?

Saturday morning (before the meet): Bland, Tazewell, Russell (out-and-back), Buchanan
Saturday evening (after the meet): Dickenson, Wise, Norton, Lee, Scott.
Staying Saturday night in or near Bristol.

I can't figure out the best way to clinch Dickenson and to enter Wise...

Anyway, relating to Michael Summa...if it turned out that Mike and I were his only way to and from the meet...we'd be happy to leave some counties behind in order to give him a ride.

I live in Blacksburg so I could give him a ride as well.  Actually I just realized that Virginia Tech's Fall Break was October 18th.   That raises my chances of going to about 90%.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Saturday morning (before the meet): Bland, Tazewell, Russell (out-and-back), Buchanan

I can't figure out the best way to clinch Dickenson and to enter Wise...

The meet tour gets both Dickenson and Buchanan counties, so you will already have Dickenson by virtue of attending the meet. No need to make a special trip to get it.

VA 80 straddles the Dickenson/Buchanan county line and enters Dickenson completely near where we will be turning off VA 80 onto Secondary 609 at Breaks, then 609 enters Buchanan.

If you're staying in Bristol, you can get Wise by taking US 23 south out of Pikeville on your way back as a straight shot. But it looks like that's what you already have planned.

Best route to Bristol is to stay on 23 all the way through Virginia, then go straight on TN 36 where US 23 splits off to the right at the state line, and then north on US 11W. It's a better route than taking US 58/421, and faster too even though it's a little longer mileage-wise.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

The restaurant is also only about 5 miles down the road from Floyd County, KY. Easy side trip to nab that.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Two things need to be brought to this meet by someone:

• A "Send Help" sign. I can't find mine. I may have lost it when I had to switch vehicles to a rental while in Missouri headed for Kansas.
  • A tripod for the group photo. I broke mine the other day.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on September 23, 2013, 09:52:19 PM
Two things need to be brought to this meet by someone:

• A "Send Help" sign. I can't find mine. I may have lost it when I had to switch vehicles to a rental while in Missouri headed for Kansas.
  • A tripod for the group photo. I broke mine the other day.
1. Is hardly that important. I know it's a tradition, but we have had other traditions come and go. That said, I'll see if I remember to pack it for my flight. I might.
2. I have a tripod. Except it's 4" tall (insert jokes now).

Duke87

Since my send help sign resides in my car, it will be available for usage.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

We have nine RSVPs on the Facebook event page (plus Mike Pruett) for a total of 10 attendees so far. I've had no RSVPs from other sources. I will be getting in touch with the restaurant to find out when they will need a firm count to accommodate us, and then will set the "drop-dead" RSVP date. I had previously said Thursday, Oct. 17, and I expect that will hold up, but just wanted to put this on the radar screen of anyone who's a "maybe." If  you're like me and don't like to say "yes" to attending Facebook events, then you can email rsvp@millenniumhwy.net to let me know you're coming.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2013, 11:31:05 AM
We have nine RSVPs on the Facebook event page (plus Mike Pruett) for a total of 10 attendees so far. I've had no RSVPs from other sources. I will be getting in touch with the restaurant to find out when they will need a firm count to accommodate us, and then will set the "drop-dead" RSVP date. I had previously said Thursday, Oct. 17, and I expect that will hold up, but just wanted to put this on the radar screen of anyone who's a "maybe." If  you're like me and don't like to say "yes" to attending Facebook events, then you can email rsvp@millenniumhwy.net to let me know you're coming.
Haven't heard from Michael Summa in a few days, I'm horrendously busy so I'll probably forget to check back in but he hasn't said no yet.

hbelkins

Hopefully, whomever chauffeurs him will let us know whether he'll be coming or not. I don't foresee an issue if we have one or two more than we're expecting. I've crashed a meet before without it causing a problem.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2013, 10:10:33 PM
Hopefully, whomever chauffeurs him will let us know whether he'll be coming or not. I don't foresee an issue if we have one or two more than we're expecting. I've crashed a meet before without it causing a problem.
Edit: He is highly likely to come with a +1.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Steve on October 01, 2013, 12:45:28 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2013, 10:10:33 PM
Edit: He is highly likely to come with a +1.

Does he still need a ride?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

AAAGH, if only I didn't have to work that weekend. :(
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

Michael Summa is coming. Just got the email from him. He and his lady friend are coming and he is driving himself.

froggie

QuoteAAAGH, if only I didn't have to work that weekend.

Don't feel bad.  I'm still in the middle of the ocean blue...

getemngo

As I said on the Facebook event, if I attend one more meet in 2013, it will be this one. But that's a big if.

Here's the thing: we were going to clinch a bunch of counties in south west Virginia after the meet. Firstly, for anyone who knows the area, is it reasonable to clinch the following in the following timetable?

I want to take care of a few counties too - southwestern WV is more of a priority - but I'm also missing Tazewell, Lee, and Scott. Maybe a few of us should get together for a post-meet tour, like with Ashland?
~ Sam from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 02, 2013, 01:32:25 AM
QuoteAAAGH, if only I didn't have to work that weekend.

Don't feel bad.  I'm still in the middle of the ocean blue...

If you want to come this way after you get back from #LifeAtSea, I'd be glad to meet you and take you to some of the tour sites.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on September 08, 2013, 11:34:26 PM
Let's do it.

Facebook event page at https://www.facebook.com/events/515404668537952/. I have invited a few people who showed an interest in attending, but it's a public event so anyone can add themselves.

Meet time to be determined, but probably will be 11:30 a.m. EDT. The tour itinerary will be forthcoming. I have the lunch location set for Reno's Roadhouse in Coal Run Village, Ky., which is an incorporated municipality adjacent to Pikeville. Reno's is a regional steakhouse chain and is where we ate at the 2005 Pikeville US 119 meet.

RSVP here, on the Facebook page, or at rsvp@millenniumhwy.net. I'll also have a meet page with more info and the itinerary set up on Millennium Highway in a week or so, which is where updates will be posted.

Hope to see a few of you there!

No can do. Got a show that weekend.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jpi

I am now a definent yes, Steph is now 50/50 because of work, I should know for sure at the Cincinatti road meet if it's just me or me and Steph coming.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Meet itinerary is up at http://www.millenniumhwy.net/Pikeville_meet_itinerary.pdf

Here are a couple of map links that will allow you to take a look at the area to be covered:

http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/resources/state_map/12-vamap06.pdf

http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/SPRS%20Maps/Pike.pdf

The road that will take us from Greasy Creek to Wolfpit Branch isn't shown on Google Maps, but it is on Bing Maps. I may try to get a tour itinerary mapped out on Bing and post a link to it, but if I don't, the Pike County map will show the county road we'll be using.

getemngo

~ Sam from Michigan

Molandfreak

I'm also officially out. Not like there was any chance to begin with, but I'll be headed the opposite way on friday :-(
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

JMoses24

As much as I'd like to, to see how I can improve on this weekend, I can't. Scheduled to work at a half marathon the morning of the 19th and have no idea when I will be done.

A.J. Bertin

-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

This is depressing. If everyone in the forum not attending posted to the meet, it would never happen.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.