News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Department of Redundancy Department

Started by Brandon, December 26, 2013, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 04, 2018, 10:33:03 PM

But this one's not redundant...The first shield lets you know that M-25 has begun, and the second reminds you you're on M-25...  :pan:

This one's long gone, as there no longer is a BL US-12 in Niles.

That one's a bit excessive.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadfro on July 06, 2018, 10:07:56 AM
This one's long gone, as there no longer is a BL US-12 in Niles.

That one's a bit excessive.
I have to wonder if one of those JCT BUSINESS 12 assemblies was intended to replace the other but the removal of the redundant signage had not yet taken place when this photo was taken.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

renegade

That's how they replaced them on my side of the state ... the new ones were installed, then a week later, the old ones were pulled.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I am not sure what to make of this! Arkansas does this all the time. Even with perpendicular intersections (T junctions) they'll put up the double arrow twice (black on white and black on yellow).

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jakeroot

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on July 06, 2018, 01:17:07 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180706/721568b680c26eefcef447e6eb0a2ff6.jpg

I am not sure what to make of this! Arkansas does this all the time. Even with perpendicular intersections (T junctions) they'll put up the double arrow twice (black on white and black on yellow).

I think the best option, to make it less unusual, would be to locate the junction marker to another pole. I don't see why it has to be directly above the "large arrow" (W1-6) sign.

ErmineNotyours

Railroad Crossing Advanced Warning Signs should be 460 feet ahead of the crossing on 30 mph roads according to the MUTCD. Or 10 feet.  Whatever.

Short Distance Advance Warning Sign, Kent, Wasington by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 10, 2018, 11:26:54 PM
Railroad Crossing Advanced Warning Signs should be 460 feet ahead of the crossing on 30 mph roads according to the MUTCD. Or 10 feet.  Whatever.

Short Distance Advance Warning Sign, Kent, Wasington by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

Is that even a road there, or just a sidewalk?

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 11, 2018, 12:08:40 AM

Is that even a road there, or just a sidewalk?

The road is behind the photo.  There used to be a sidewalk on the right side of the crossing, but that was removed when the commuter rail station went in.  GSV

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Speaking of redundancy, I hate how common the "NO STOPPING STANDING OR PARKING" verbiage is for this sign. Just say "NO STOPPING ANYTIME."

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on July 11, 2018, 10:50:48 AM

Speaking of redundancy, I hate how common the "NO STOPPING STANDING OR PARKING" verbiage is for this sign. Just say "NO STOPPING ANYTIME."
Redundancies:

North
Michigan 25
No Parking

Certain states do well in using sign and post space well, but others get carried away sometimes.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

kkt

I'd like to see someone park without stopping... :)

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on July 11, 2018, 05:07:58 PM
I'd like to see someone park without stopping... :)

It's possible that "parking", "standing", and "stopping" are all different legal terms in Michigan. For example, a parked car isn't stopped; it's parked. A stopped car waiting for someone isn't stopped; it's standing. And someone who is parked off to the side using their phone isn't parked; they're stopped.

No idea if this is actually the case anywhere. I kind of hope it isn't, because it's kind of confusing.

Big John

^^ New York definitions: https://www.newyorksafetycouncil.com/articles/no-parking-vs-no-standing-vs-no-stopping-signs.aspx

QuoteNo Parking Signs

Many people pull over at No Parking signs temporarily in order to load or unload passengers or groceries. The New York Department of Transportation allows you to stop to load or unload packages or merchandise at curbside, as well as stop to expeditiously drop off or pick up passengers at this sign. But keep it moving, because this sign doesn't permit the driver to leave the vehicle unattended for even a brief few minutes.
No Standing Signs

No Standing signs apply to unloading and loading people only, not merchandise. New York law allows you to expeditiously drop off or pick up passengers at this sign, but it doesn't allow you to wait for passengers to arrive or to load or unload merchandise at the curb. The important thing to remember about No Standing signs is that they are "people only"  signs, and you could receive a ticket if you don't adhere to this rule.
No Stopping Signs

Of all three signs discussed here, No Stopping signs are the strictest. No Stopping signs mean that you cannot stop for any reason — to drop off or pick up passengers, to wait for people to arrive, or to load or unload merchandise. Any violation of this sign can be punishable by law. The only time that you should ever stop at one of these signs is if it is a true emergency or if you are directed to do so by a police officer. However, you should make sure to obey all traffic signals around No Stopping signs as you normally would.

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on July 11, 2018, 05:56:58 PM
^^ New York definitions: https://www.newyorksafetycouncil.com/articles/no-parking-vs-no-standing-vs-no-stopping-signs.aspx

[clipped]

Thanks. I was hoping that "no stopping" meant "no stopping, ever, for anything, unless absolutely necessary", since that makes the most sense. Glad I wasn't wrong.

Any idea if you could be ticketed for stopping or standing in a pay-to-park zone? You're technically not parked.

hbelkins

I never understood "standing" and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2018, 10:48:13 AM
I never understood "standing" and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I always understood the meaning because I drive for Lyft. Technically, whenever I drop or pick up someone, I'm standing on the street while they're entering or exiting. That said, I almost never see "no standing" signs in Seattle. If they don't want people to stop, they use "no stopping", and that's about it. Parking, standing, loading, etc is permitted just about anywhere else there isn't a sign (though I do see "loading" and "waiting" signs). That includes parking in a lane of traffic on a one lane road.

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Hurricane Rex

As you are getting on I-205 NB from I-5 SB, right as the ramps are merging, there is a Speed Limit 65 sign. 1 mile later, there is a Speed 65 sign. No exits happened in between the 2 signs. Speed 65 is the same as Speed Limit 65 on an interstate in Oregon.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on July 22, 2018, 02:55:13 AM
Quote from: TBKS1 on July 21, 2018, 11:05:44 PM
What about this?

I think a barrier would be smart there. Quite a dip!
Nah, just needs a few dozen more signs, a few beacons (both regular and RRFB), a small air raid siren, and a giant neon sign that reads:
!DANGER!
   CLIFF

...for good measure. :bigass:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cjk374

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 22, 2018, 04:20:49 AM
What about this?

Nah, just needs a few dozen more signs, a few beacons (both regular and RRFB), a small air raid siren, and a giant neon sign that reads:
!DANGER!
   CLIFF

That is the first length limit sign I have ever seen.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

Quote from: cjk374 on July 22, 2018, 10:05:32 AM
What about this?

!DANGER!
   CLIFF

Quite a few of them in the mountains of SW Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadfro

What about this?

I concur. And they should have at least used red object markers here instead of yellow–yellow object markers denote obstructions in the road, whereas red object markers denote end of road/pavement.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

What about this?

!DANGER!
   CLIFF

Something tells me that some drivers still won't get the picture! Can't imagine how many burned out cars are sitting at the bottom of that ravine.

Quote from: cjk374 on July 22, 2018, 10:05:32 AM

Definitely less common than weight restrictions. I know of two in my area: for this exit, due to a mini roundabout at the terminus being too awkward for long trucks, and this bridge, due to weight and small intersections on either side (too many stuck trucks beforehand).

Quote from: roadfro on July 22, 2018, 01:32:32 PM
What about this?

I concur. And they should have at least used red object markers here instead of yellow–yellow object markers denote obstructions in the road, whereas red object markers denote end of road/pavement.

Well, I guess you could say the ravine is an obstruction for drunk drivers. Nevertheless, definitely needs to be red.

I'd suggest a guardrail with several red object markers, and maybe some blinking LED lights around the edge of the object markers as well. The "big arrow" signs could be placed behind the guardrail, up a bit. A guide sign wouldn't hurt either.

roadman

What about this?

!DANGER!
   CLIFF

You forgot the obligatory
  LITTER CONTROL
PROVIDED BY
ACME
CORPORATION
sign.

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.