News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Henry on September 24, 2018, 09:51:58 AM
This was a long time coming, but I am glad that I-95 is now one continuous route all the way from Houlton to Miami. While it's not quite the intended route (thanks to the Somerset cancellation decades ago), at least we can go nonstop on it.

It's not the route intended thru Boston and DC either.

jcn

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 24, 2018, 10:07:10 AM
This was a long time coming, but I am glad that I-95 is now one continuous route all the way from Houlton to Miami. While it's not quite the intended route (thanks to the Somerset cancellation decades ago), at least we can go nonstop on it.

Somebody mentioned that they saw a NY plated car on the new 95 ramps, so it seems that at least some through traffic is switching over.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jcn on September 24, 2018, 12:46:27 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 24, 2018, 10:07:10 AM

Somebody mentioned that they saw a NY plated car on the new 95 ramps, so it seems that at least some through traffic is switching over.

I just took a tour of it, and a car with Virginia tags was behind me. 

MantyMadTown

That's all I wanted for I-95. As long as it's nonstop from Florida to Maine I'll be happy.
Forget the I-41 haters

PHLBOS

Driving videos (not mine) of the "new" I-95 are now posted on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiOmC641kdA
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

So at Lunchtime I took a quick tour of the new interchange.  The remarkable thing was I drove it in both directions, and never paid a penny in tolls!

I entered the PA Turnpike Westbound/I-95 Southbound at US 13.  Any ground-based signage there is construction type signage, but does include the I-95 shield.  After you get on the ramp and go thru some construction, the overhead BGSs do display I-95 for both directions.  I took I-95 South, taking the new ramp, and immediately exited at PA 413.

When I returned, I took I-95 North thru the new interchange.  I noticed nothing referencing the PA Turnpike whatsoever for their stretch of I-95 North.  The only thing related to the PA Turnpike was old mileage markers approaching and on the bridge over the Delaware.  Otherwise, many users would never even realize they're on the PA Turnpike.

After entering NJ, I took the first exit for US 130, allowing me to complete the maximum permissible toll-free journey on the 2 Turnpikes.  On the NJ Turnpike itself, there's one overhead pull-thru sign prior to US 130 that doesn't have the I-95 shield on it yet, and there's no other indication on this stretch of the NJ Turnpike that you're on I-95. 

HOWEVER...on US 130, there are ground-mounted signs that state:  (95) (NJTP) TO (PA TPK) at the 1/4 Mile ahead point, and just before the ramp.  At the ramp itself is the older-style NJ Turnpike Entrance sign with the NJ Turnpike shield on it.  There's no room for a 95 shield, so they may just have to mount one on the post, if one is shown at all.

There were no 95 shields on any of the overhead BGSs in the interchange area that I saw.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 24, 2018, 02:29:51 PMSo at Lunchtime I took a quick tour of the new interchange.  The remarkable thing was I drove it in both directions, and never paid a penny in tolls!
I did similar this past Saturday afternoon.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 24, 2018, 02:29:51 PMWhen I returned, I took I-95 North thru the new interchange.  I noticed nothing referencing the PA Turnpike whatsoever for their stretch of I-95 North.  The only thing related to the PA Turnpike was old mileage markers approaching and on the bridge over the Delaware.  Otherwise, many users would never even realize they're on the PA Turnpike.
I believe (someone who was there for the entire event can confirm) such was mentioned at the Golden Spike meet (may have been mentioned in that thread) & is completely intentional.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 24, 2018, 03:10:24 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 24, 2018, 02:29:51 PMWhen I returned, I took I-95 North thru the new interchange.  I noticed nothing referencing the PA Turnpike whatsoever for their stretch of I-95 North.  The only thing related to the PA Turnpike was old mileage markers approaching and on the bridge over the Delaware.  Otherwise, many users would never even realize they're on the PA Turnpike.
I believe (someone who was there for the entire event can confirm) such was mentioned at the Golden Spike meet (may have been mentioned in that thread) & is completely intentional.

I agree. I don't there are any official sources indicating that this is the case, though, only what was told to us and the existing signage.

Now to convince the Wikipedia community of this change...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

silverback1065

jeffandnicole

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 24, 2018, 03:23:11 PM
still not on google yet

Which is strange because wherever Google gets their info from, emergency road closures show up before the road is actually closed sometimes!

PHLBOS

One of the attendees at the meet works for Tom-Tom; so that firm should've been aware of when the ramps and related-route changes were to take place.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

silverback1065

it's on OSM and Here Maps. 

Does anyone use Here maps?

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 24, 2018, 03:23:11 PM
still not on google yet

Same for Bing Maps and Mapquest. I wonder if they'll do the changes more faster than Google? ;)

PHLBOS

Two minor sign gripes:

1.  All of the former EXIT 358 tabs along the eastbound PA Turnpike (new I-95 northbound) have the replacement 42 in a Helvetica font.  I can see using a narrower font if the new exit number had more digits than the old one but this scenario is the opposite; a narrower font is not needed let alone a non-standard one.  Note: the new 1-3/4 mile advance BGS along the new I-95 Northbound ramp has the standard Series E numerals for 42

2.  The END 276 BEGIN 95 and END 295 BEGIN 95 signs at the route number hand-off locations (the latter mimicking what was previously done at the old 95-295 handoff location at US 1/Exit 67) are not technically accurate with respect to I-95; especially now that it is continuous route from Miami, FL to Houlton, ME.
The signs IMHO should read END 276 JCT. NORTH 95 and END 295 JCT. SOUTH 95 respectively.

Quote from: storm2k on September 22, 2018, 05:27:30 PM
Here are the pictures I grabbed today:

It's been over two years since I've used that interchange (& seen the signage) but I don't remember those control legends (granted, on Penn Turnpike was showing at the time) on that sign being Series F.  The SOUTH cardinal is also misaligned with respect to the I-95 shield (both cardinals appear to be Series F as well).  Was this particular panel replaced within the last two years (due to damage/vandalism)?

Nice to see the old-school NJTP-style arrow make a comeback.

Nice pics.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

AMLNet49

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 24, 2018, 03:19:31 PM

I agree. I don't there are any official sources indicating that this is the case, though, only what was told to us and the existing signage.

It’s not a “change” though. Just because there aren’t PTC shields doesn’t mean it’s not part of the turnpike. It’s owned and tolled by the turnpike and is physically part of the mainline.

It just would be confusing to people to keep PTC shields on that section, given the PTC is associated with 276 by many people, while they relate I-95 to the New Jersey Turnpike.

Signage stating “I-95/PTC North TO NJTP” would be confusing and cluttered.

But new 95 is still the Penna Turnpike no doubt about it, Turnpike signage/MMs or not

Flyer78

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 24, 2018, 04:22:04 PM
Does anyone use Here maps?

Many OEM GPS systems in cars use Here as the map source. Ironically, using Android Auto (and Google maps) is preferred by many, for the up-to-date maps (that are free). Are Apple's maps updated?

famartin

Quote from: AMLNet49 on September 25, 2018, 10:10:57 AM

It's not a "change"  though. Just because there aren't PTC shields doesn't mean it's not part of the turnpike. It's owned and tolled by the turnpike and is physically part of the mainline.

It just would be confusing to people to keep PTC shields on that section, given the PTC is associated with 276 by many people, while they relate I-95 to the New Jersey Turnpike.

Signage stating "I-95/PTC North TO NJTP"  would be confusing and cluttered.

But new 95 is still the Penna Turnpike no doubt about it, Turnpike signage/MMs or not
Concur.

Roadsguy

Quote from: AMLNet49 on September 25, 2018, 10:10:57 AM

It’s not a “change” though. Just because there aren’t PTC shields doesn’t mean it’s not part of the turnpike. It’s owned and tolled by the turnpike and is physically part of the mainline.

Signage stating “I-95/PTC North TO NJTP” would be confusing and cluttered.

No one said it wasn't owned by the PTC, but that calling that section the Turnpike is like saying to take PA 300 to Lancaster. No one unfamiliar with the PennDOT/PTC system will know what that means. And "physically part of the mainline" doesn't really mean much in terms of publicly signed naming, especially the way the lanes are set up in each direction. Is the new I-295 physically a part of the I-95 mainline? Is I-376 between I-79 and the Point physically a part of the I-279 mainline?

Everything was converted so that I-95 from Center City to the Delaware River Bridge is the interstate mainline.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Rothman

Is it fully open with updated signage now or not?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Now that I see the two BGSs side by side, I'm even more convinced Baltimore should've been used as a pull-thru destination on the NJ Turnpike.  Would I have replaced Camden or Wilmington?  Either could be eliminated without a problem.

Also one of many cases where a control state would've been fine rather than a control city.

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 24, 2018, 05:41:55 PM
It's been over two years since I've used that interchange (& seen the signage) but I don't remember those control legends (granted, on Penn Turnpike was showing at the time) on that sign being Series F.  The SOUTH cardinal is also misaligned with respect to the I-95 shield (both cardinals appear to be Series F as well).  Was this particular panel replaced within the last two years (due to damage/vandalism)?

Nope.  This is the same panel that's always been there. 

In the days of old, both these errors would have never been given the green light.  The 'South' in the first pic is very obvious.  The 'West' in the 2nd pic is less so (I shrunk the pics, but scroll to the original to see it is slightly off-centered with the 276 shield. But either way, there are project managers that are paid handsomely to make sure things are right.  Sure, misaligned wording on signage is not as huge of an issue as, say, concrete that isn't cured to specs.  But it's still an easy fix to make in the shop before it sees the light of day.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on September 25, 2018, 12:12:13 PM
Is it fully open with updated signage now or not?

It's fully open. 

Updated signage on all the pull-thrus will eventually be put up.  The important interchange - Interchange 6 - is complete.  US 130 has ground-mounted signage installed with I-95 on it in the area of (unsigned) 6A, but they still need to install the shields on the BGS signage.

There's a significant amount of work to do, and with the weather this week, it's not exactly working in the Turnpike's favor.

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 25, 2018, 12:16:05 PM
Now that I see the two BGSs side by side, I'm even more convinced Baltimore should've been used as a pull-thru destination on the NJ Turnpike.  Would I have replaced Camden or Wilmington?  Either could be eliminated without a problem.

Also one of many cases where a control state would've been fine rather than a control city.

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 24, 2018, 05:41:55 PM

Nope.  This is the same panel that's always been there. 

In the days of old, both these errors would have never been given the green light.  The 'South' in the first pic is very obvious.  The 'West' in the 2nd pic is less so (I shrunk the pics, but scroll to the original to see it is slightly off-centered with the 276 shield. But either way, there are project managers that are paid handsomely to make sure things are right.  Sure, misaligned wording on signage is not as huge of an issue as, say, concrete that isn't cured to specs.  But it's still an easy fix to make in the shop before it sees the light of day.

I agree that Baltimore makes more sense as a control city for the Turnpike than Wilmington does. More people going to Wilmington would probably take 95 thru Philadelphia and down than the Turnpike -> DMB -> 95 North. The bulk of traffic that's continuing south on the Turnpike is probably headed down the 95 corridor to Baltimore, DC, or points south.

I would keep Camden, though. It's a rough city, but it's still a city in NJ. It's also a popular destination for certain tourist things like the entertainment center, aquarium, battleship memorial, and a few other things on the waterfront.

famartin

Regarding control cities, isn't Wilmington an official I-95 control city? I think it's appropriate, though I agree that Baltimore would be useful in addition.

Give the poor connection between the southern turnpike and the southern NJ freeways, I'd argue Camden isn't the greatest choice, though. I'd personally like to see Wilmington and Baltimore used for south of Exit 6.

I'd also suggest that Philadelphia is now more appropriate as the main southbound control city north of Exit 6. While I personally enjoy seeing Trenton listed, it's more or less bypassed now.

However, this change should be in concert with the MDTA updating it's northbound I-95 control to include Philadelphia.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on September 25, 2018, 12:39:04 PM
Regarding control cities, isn't Wilmington an official I-95 control city? I think it's appropriate, though I agree that Baltimore would be useful in addition.

Give the poor connection between the southern turnpike and the southern NJ freeways, I'd argue Camden isn't the greatest choice, though. I'd personally like to see Wilmington and Baltimore used for south of Exit 6.

I'd also suggest that Philadelphia is now more appropriate as the main southbound control city north of Exit 6. While I personally enjoy seeing Trenton listed, it's more or less bypassed now.

However, this change should be in concert with the MDTA updating it's northbound I-95 control to include Philadelphia.

Trenton is the state capital and there is a direct connection to it from the Turnpike by getting off at 7A and going on 195 west to 29 north. It should stay.

famartin

Honestly, that doesn't matter.  The next big city I-95 visits is Philadelphia.  Way more people are heading towards Philly metro than they are to Trenton metro.  It makes more sense for it to be Philadelphia, or at least to include Philadelphia, than for the turnpike southbound to include Baltimore versus Wilmington.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.