News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin State Highway 14

Started by Truvelo, July 16, 2009, 01:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truvelo

This route appears to be defunct, being replaced by US-14. However I saw this sign the other day which is probably an old relic. I'm also not too keen on Wisconsin's State Route shield design which looks too similar to the US shield from a distance.

Speed limits limit life

agentsteel53

that or an error - Wisconsin is notorious for mixing up their state and US routes.  I have several photos of Wisconsin state route 8 and 63 shields... that old style with WIS in the crown.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DanTheMan414

As far as I've seen in travels to Wisconsin in the last 2 years, it seems like even some newer U.S. or Wisconsin STH shields I've seen along county trunk highways display either the text "US" or "WIS" in the shield, respectively.

agentsteel53

officially, they stopped the practice in 1982, but I wouldn't be surprised if they randomly put such a thing on there.  Barron County is especially good for finding older shields - they just don't replace the ones on side streets all that often.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

tchafe1978

It's probably a mistake. There hasn't been a STH-14 in Wisconsin since the US highways were first commisioned in the state. This is a common mistake in Wisconsin, especially on county highways, as the counties put up their own signing. It shouldn't confuse anybody too much however, as Wisconsin doesn't duplicate highway numbers, whether they be interstate, US, or state highways.

Big Dave

There's a pair of "Wis 45" shiels on CTH K in Vilas County, with appropriate missing Wis 32 shields.  Also, there is a brand new "Jct Wis 51" assembly on Wis 70 westbound at the northern of the two US 51 Intersections.

wandering drive

Aha!  There's that picture I was looking for!  :D Granted, I just went out and found the actual sign myself, much more fun that way. 
Anyway, by that logic, there's also a WIS 51, and a WIS 12, and I guess WIS 45 as well, have to go search for that one now, too.
There was a US 16, which is now WIS 16:

HPfromTN

The original Wisconsin State Highway 14 was in existence for about a decade before the US Highway system began in 1926.  That Highway 14 became US-8, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with current day US-14 which is many miles south.

pianocello

That was quite the thread bump. But since they were talking about Wisconsin swapping WIS and US shields willy-nilly, I'll throw in one that I found a few weeks ago:

Behold, US 82 in Central Wisconsin! (Google Street View)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

SEWIGuy

Quote from: wandering drive on September 20, 2009, 08:48:11 AM
Aha!  There's that picture I was looking for!  :D Granted, I just went out and found the actual sign myself, much more fun that way. 
Anyway, by that logic, there's also a WIS 51, and a WIS 12, and I guess WIS 45 as well, have to go search for that one now, too.

Up until a couple years ago, you could find US-16 shields all over Dodge County without much effort.  Unfortunately, most of these have been replaced over the past five or so years.

dvferyance

Quote from: wandering drive on September 20, 2009, 08:48:11 AM

That county A shield is really the goof in this picture.

gbgoose

I'll have to snap a pic the next time I'm there, but I believe there's a WI-10 sign (or two) near the US-10 / WI-76 interchange west of the Fox Valley.

The Ghostbuster

I remember once seeing STH-51 signs along Stoughton Road here in Madison, as well as a STH-18 construction sign (in reference to the beltline). Also, STH-14-turned-US 8 was not the only STH-14 to exist. There was once a STH-14 that ran from Cassville to Milwaukee from 1926 to 1933 (replaced STH-61). When US 14 was extended into Wisconsin in 1933 (enroute to Wrigley Field in Chicago), STH-14 from Cassville to Beloit was renumbered to STH-81 (which still exists), while the Beloit to Milwaukee segment was renumbered to STH-15, which later was moved onto the Rock Freeway, and decommissioned in favor of Interstate 43 on November 24, 1987 (signs were changed in 1988).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.