News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which Hampton Roads freeways you think should get a speed limit increase?

Started by Pink Jazz, March 05, 2015, 06:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I have discussed this at City-Data.com before in the Hampton Roads forum, and I think here would be a good place to discuss it.  Over the years, some stretches of Hampton Roads freeways have had their speed limit increased from 55 to 60 or 65 mph.  Here are some additional stretches I think could be raised:

• I-264 in Virginia Beach from Witchduck Road to Birdneck Road (55 mph to 60 mph).  This was considered a candidate by VDOT in the past for a speed limit increase back when Virginia raised its legal urban speed limit from 55 mph to 65 mph, however, it hasn't happened yet.
  • I-264 in Chesapeake from the I-64/664 interchange, to Des Moines Avenue in Portsmouth (55 to 60 mph).  This was also another candidate in the past.
  • The Chesapeake Expressway (55 mph to 65 mph).
  • The I-64 reversible HOV lanes (65 mph to 70 mph)

What does anyone here think?  Agree or disagree?

cpzilliacus

I would love to see 75 MPH on most of I-64 between I-295 east of Richmond and someplace in Newport News.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 05, 2015, 08:11:11 PM
I would love to see 75 MPH on most of I-64 between I-295 east of Richmond and someplace in Newport News.

Of course, raising it to 75 would be a challenge, since it is only 5 mph under the state's reckless driving threshold.  There would have to be more than a 5 mph buffer to allow a 75 mph speed limit.

slorydn1

I don't see a problem with not raising the C & R threshold if the speed limit is raised to 75. If people don't speed, they won't have to worry about it.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Thing 342

The portion of 64 on the Peninsula between Jefferson Ave and I-664 should definitely go from 60 to 65.
The Commander Sheppard Blvd extension inexplicably has a speed limit of 35 despite having sound walls. Raise it to 45.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 05, 2015, 08:11:11 PM

Usually too much traffic on that stretch to allow 75 (the 85% speed is about 69-73). Maybe 70 for the portion between Jefferson and VA-199 once it is widened.

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 05, 2015, 06:02:11 PM

• I-264 in Virginia Beach from Witchduck Road to Birdneck Road (55 mph to 60 mph).  This was considered a candidate by VDOT in the past for a speed limit increase back when Virginia raised its legal urban speed limit from 55 mph to 65 mph, however, it hasn't happened yet.

I think that stretch of 264 carries too much traffic during rush hour and beach days for anything faster than 55. There's also the fact that traffic has to slow down for the light just Birdneck.

• The Chesapeake Expressway (55 mph to 65 mph).

I agree. Doing 55 on 168 feels ploddingly slow, especially considering how new the freeway is.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Thing 342 on March 05, 2015, 08:45:01 PM

I think that stretch of 264 carries too much traffic during rush hour and beach days for anything faster than 55. There's also the fact that traffic has to slow down for the light just Birdneck.

Well, I know it was indeed considered back when Virginia raised the legal state urban speed limit to 65 mph.  I think it can indeed be raised to 60 mph at least between Independence Blvd and First Colonial Road.

EricJV95

I-64 from Chesapeake at (EXIT 289) to the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel should go from 55 to 60
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (STAYS at 55 MPH)
I-64 from the Hampton Side of the HRBT to (EXIT 255 Jefferson Ave) from 60 to 65
I-64 from Jefferson Ave (Newport News) to just past I-295 near Richmond (70 MPH)

I-264 from Bowers Hill/Suffolk I-64/I-664 to Rt. 17 / NEW Rt. 164 (Frederick Blvd.- M.L.K. Jr. Freeway- Midtown Tunnel Exits) in Portsmouth. Speed should go from 55 to 60 MPH. Then onward to the Downtown Tunnel on 264 should drop back to 55 MPH then down to 40 for the Downtown Tunnel to Norfolk.

Then I-264 Between Downtown Norfolk and the Va. Beach Oceanfront; Speed should be increased from 55 to 65.

Rt. 168 Chesapeake Expressway (Chesapeake); Speed should be increased from 55 to 65 from I-64/464 to the South End of Business 168 Battlefield Blvd near the Va./N.C. State Line.

U.S. Rt 13/58/460 Suffolk Bypass between Holland Rd. to Bowers Hill(Chesapeake) ; Speed should be increased from 60 to 65

Rt. 17 Suffolk (Between Chesapeake City Limits and the Isle Of Wight County) SPEED LIMIT IS TOO DAMN LOW !!!!! Increase it from 45 to 50 !!

Rt. 58 Suffolk (Holland Rd.) between Manning Rd. to just west of Manning Bridge Rd. Speed needs to be increased from 45 to 50 !!

Pink Jazz

Quote from: EricJV95 on October 31, 2015, 01:36:57 PM

Then I-264 Between Downtown Norfolk and the Va. Beach Oceanfront; Speed should be increased from 55 to 65.

Not sure if I-264 between the Downtown Tunnel and Witchduck Road can handle 65 or even 60.  I-64 between Witchduck and Birdneck though I think can handle at least 60.  After all, it was once considered for a speed limit increase when Virginia started to allow speed limits higher than 55 mph in urban areas.

froggie

Close ramp spacing west of Ballentine, the near continual hills/grades between Ballentine and Broad Creek, and heavy merging traffic between Military Hwy and Witchduck are why Pink Jazz is probably right.

The Ghostbuster

Since I don't live nor have I been anywhere near the Hampton Roads, I basically don't care.

froggie

The Ghostbuster

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.