News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-270 US-33 OH-161 InterCHANGE project

Started by vtk, May 10, 2015, 09:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

[Project Website] - [Phasing Video]

I seem to recall earlier planning including a later phase (not yet funded) to build a northbound → westbound flyover.  I hope that's still a possibility, as that's a movement with significant volume and a single lane loop ramp just doesn't seem right.

Also, what's the deal with the redundant westbound 270 to westbound 33 ramps?  My guess is some kind of braiding or C/D setup with the Muirfield interchange to the west, but none of the available diagrams extend that far.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

6a

Quote from: vtk on May 10, 2015, 09:47:18 AM

Also, what's the deal with the redundant westbound 270 to westbound 33 ramps?  My guess is some kind of braiding or C/D setup with the Muirfield interchange to the west, but none of the available diagrams extend that far.

That's what I assumed as well. Makes sense, that's where a big chunk of peak hour traffic heads.

6a

There was an article in today's Dispatch that answers our question...I think:

QuoteWhen the I-270/Rt. 33 work is finished, drivers trying to access different highways will have their own lanes. Now, traffic backs up in every direction at the interchange, with cars and trucks left idling on the cloverleaf ramps, said Drew Griesdorn, ODOT project engineer.

Also, they're calling the design a "stacked cloverleaf"

vtk

Quote from: 6a on May 11, 2015, 03:18:18 PM
There was an article in today's Dispatch that answers our question...I think:

QuoteWhen the I-270/Rt. 33 work is finished, drivers trying to access different highways will have their own lanes. Now, traffic backs up in every direction at the interchange, with cars and trucks left idling on the cloverleaf ramps, said Drew Griesdorn, ODOT project engineer.

Also, they're calling the design a "stacked cloverleaf"

Yeah they can call it that, or maybe "cloverstack". It wouldn't be the most elegant example of that type of interchange, though.

Also, from my observations at the site, it looks like there will be an auxiliary lane added to 270 southbound between 33 and Tuttle.

6a

There are eventual plans to add a fourth lane each way between 33 and 70. At least that's a start.

vtk

The bridges that will carry US 33 over one of the new ramps are beginning to take shape.

vtk

ODOT announced today via Twitter that US 33 EB through the interchange will reopen tomorrow morning.  33 WB through the interchange, as well as the WB-SB and SB-EB (technically WB-EB?) loop ramps, are supposed to open the next day.

The whole thing will still function as a basic cloverleaf until sometime next year.

vtk

US 33 and ramps opened as promised. Other observations: the EB to SB movement is now on the new ramp, just outside of and on a higher profile than the old ramp; it forms an auxiliary lane from there to the Tuttle Crossing exit.

Buck87

The ODOT press release about the west side 270 widening moving up a year stated the following about the 270/33 interchange project:

QuoteThe 270/33 interchange reconstruction project in Dublin will also be under construction in 2017; however, all traffic movements including lanes, ramps and bridges are expected to be open by the end of 2016. The work in 2017 at the Dublin interchange will be landscaping, final paving and striping.

6a

Got an email with big changes for the eastbound folks:

QuoteColumbus (September 19, 2016) — (NEW) Drivers who regularly travel eastbound on US 33 from places such as Muirfield Village, Plain City and Marysville may want to allow for extra time for their commute starting this weekend.
Beginning Saturday night, September 24, two ramps at the I-270/US 33 interchange will close and temporary traffic signals will be in place for both directions of US 33. The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) says these traffic impacts are necessary so crews can continue constructing the new ramp from eastbound US 33 to northbound I-270.
For 20 days, until October 14, weather permitting, here is how traffic will be maintained at the interchange.
If driving eastbound on US 33, you will no longer take that loop ramp on your right to get to northbound I-270 towards Sawmill Rd. Instead stay LEFT.
There is a new temporary ramp on your LEFT for I-270 north. One designated left turn lane turns into two left turn lanes plus a traffic signal. There is also a traffic signal for thru traffic driving westbound on US 33 towards Marysville. That's because the eastbound traffic has to cross over the westbound thru lanes to get to I-270 north.
There is also a traffic signal at the end of the ramp from northbound I-270 to eastbound 33. That will be in place permanently even after this 20-day closure.
Please note if you are driving westbound out of old Dublin trying to go north on I-270, there will be no impact. You will use the ramp just past Frantz and Post Roads as you have always done.
Because of the two traffic signals on US 33, you will not be able to exit from southbound I-270 to eastbound 33 towards Dublin. That ramp has to close because there will be too many vehicles on the US 33 eastbound lanes waiting for the traffic signal and traveling through.
A graphic below illustrates how traffic will be maintained during this 20 day phase.

vtk

Three weeks to completely grade, pave, and finish a short section of the new 33EB to 270EB ramp? That's kind of impressive.

Also, all of ODOT's communications on this project have consistently treated 270 like it doesn't change directions at this interchange, while according to the signage in the field it does. How has that mistake been overlooked this whole time?

GCrites

6a

I just chalked it up to making the info digestible to the lowest common denominator.

Buck87

Big tanker fire on the new 33 east to 270 north flyover currently has both 270 and 33 shut down.

From District 6's Facebook:

QuoteNorthwest Side Update:
A tanker fire on the bridge from US 33 east to I-270 north has shut down several routes: Both directions of I-270 at US 33 and both directions of US 33 at I-270.
ODOT crews are closing I-270 west at SR 315 forcing traffic onto SR 315. ODOT is in the process of opening SR 315 at SR 750. SR 315 closed south of 750 at 5 this morning for the slope stabilization project.
The interchange of I-270 & I-70 is also closed. Traffic cannot go north on I-270 from Cemetery, Roberts, Tuttle or I-70.
US 33 is closed at Post Road.
Not until fire officials allow ODOT bridge engineers to inspect the new flyover bridge from US 33 east to I-270 north, will we know the extent of damage.

Buck87

6a

I actually saw that happen yesterday. I figured there was no way anyone made it out of there alive, but I still hated to hear the news.

jwolfer

Quote from: 6a on January 24, 2017, 01:52:37 PM
I actually saw that happen yesterday. I figured there was no way anyone made it out of there alive, but I still hated to hear the news.

Wow that looks like it was staged for a movie

LGMS428

Buck87

Some videos of the fire:

http://www.10tv.com/article/one-dead-after-crash-tanker-fire-northwest-columbus

Also, the ramp in question will be closed for up to a week for repairs. All other lanes opened back up yesterday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.