News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Nipigon river bridge splits in the cold

Started by SteveG1988, January 10, 2016, 11:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Both of those are in sparsely populated northern Ontario.  Not much demand for alternatives beyond the redundancy factor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ghYHZ

halork

SignGeek101

I'm assuming it's business as usual. I'm sure they learned from their mistake and corrected it.

AsphaltPlanet

I think the repair that they built to restrain the western half of the bridge may have been somewhat temporary.  I would assume that additional work will be required in the future, particularly when the southern portion of the deck is constructed, as I would think that would have some implications on how the load at the western touch down will need to be restrained, but to be honest, I haven't been following the project closely enough to know exactly what the next steps are.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 03, 2016, 10:17:17 AM
I think the repair that they built to restrain the western half of the bridge may have been somewhat temporary.  I would assume that additional work will be required in the future, particularly when the southern portion of the deck is constructed, as I would think that would have some implications on how the load at the western touch down will need to be restrained, but to be honest, I haven't been following the project closely enough to know exactly what the next steps are.

Anyone know if the bolts and related fasteners were manufactured in China?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AsphaltPlanet

I just skimmed through the bridge report, but I did not recall reading anything about the origin of any of the bolts.  The problem seemed to have been with both the selection of the bolts themselves, compounded by the fact that they were not adequately torqued.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

cbeach40

Both independent reviews checked the chemical composition and the mechanical performance of the bolts. They met specs. Therefore, where they were made is irrelevant.
and waterrrrrrr!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.