News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 210 shields on new section of California state route 210?

Started by ACSCmapcollector, June 30, 2016, 02:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myosh_tino

Quote from: sparker on July 18, 2016, 11:36:12 PM
Something tells me Caltrans would attempt to "grandfather" the current 10-foot outside shoulders into the future project; otherwise, numerous bridges would also require widening.  I that didn't fly, I wouldn't put it past them to simply restripe the lanes for 11.25-foot width, stealing as much as they could from the inner shoulders.  They did this on I-110 in the Torrance area back in the '80's when the Interstate redesignation happened (a prominent non-Interstate example of this is US 101 from the 134/170 interchange west to I-405).

I think if a Caltrans petition to sign CA-210 as I-210 is rejected because of substandard shoulders, the most logical choice is to keep the route signed as a California state route rather than tinkering with lane widths.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

vdeane

Plus it's not just the outer shoulders that factor in to the standard, but the inner as well.  Wouldn't be surprised if CalTrans just ended the idea of signing as an interstate when FHWA started to get stringent about standards adherence.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Quillz

Quote from: vdeane on July 19, 2016, 01:39:12 PM
Plus it's not just the outer shoulders that factor in to the standard, but the inner as well.  Wouldn't be surprised if CalTrans just ended the idea of signing as an interstate when FHWA started to get stringent about standards adherence.
They'll probably give up eventually. Much like I-238, it doesn't particular matter anymore if I-210 is signed or not. It's "Route 210" regardless, and motorists certainly don't care. All they care about is having a freeway thru route, which 210 has been doing now since the late 90s or so.

sparker

Technically, they could sign the route as I-210 west of I-215 (newer, Interstate-grade construction) and leave the remainder as CA 210 (and possibly sign the westbound I-10 approach in Redlands as "CA 210 TO I-210/San Bernardino/Pasadena").  But they probably won't bother; in terms of local logistics, it's not a BFD! 

ACSCmapcollector

sparker

BFD = Big F---ing Deal!  Just another f---ing acronym!

Exit58

From the 57 to the 215, all that really needs to be done is change the reassurance shields and freeway entrance signs, which realistically only needs to be done when the current shields are removed from service (most are retroreflective, so maybe another five years before they start looking ratty). A lot of the guidance signs can be greened out with I-210 and the directionals at the on ramps are I-210 already with SR 210 on green out.

The only thing is getting FHWA to sign off on changing the Kellogg to Glendora Curve potion of 57 to something other then I-210. All chargeable miles there though.

emory

I spotted this erroneous US 210 shield on a local road in Pasadena tonight. A fresh install.

Max Rockatansky

Through in a county route 210 somewhere and they'll have a full set.

JustDrive

Quote from: emory on August 23, 2016, 05:51:26 AM
I spotted this erroneous US 210 shield on a local road in Pasadena tonight. A fresh install.

The original one was button-copy. It's on California Blvd west of Orange Grove Blvd. I take that route from the Rose Bowl to downtown L. A. whenever I go to UCLA football games.

emory

Quote from: JustDrive on August 23, 2016, 12:32:03 PM
The original one was button-copy. It's on California Blvd west of Orange Grove Blvd. I take that route from the Rose Bowl to downtown L. A. whenever I go to UCLA football games.

Yep. Not far from this overhead banner that gets I-210 correct, but gets the 134 and 110 wrong.

djsekani

It's not that fresh; according to Google Street View the sign has been there since 2007, which is the earliest set of photos available... so probably even longer than that.

sparker

Quote from: emory on August 23, 2016, 07:21:52 PM

Yep. Not far from this overhead banner that gets I-210 correct, but gets the 134 and 110 wrong.

That overhead banner looks like it's over one of the Rose Bowl parking lot exits.  Private contractors' signage expertise is, more often than not, well shy of ensuring accuracy!

Alps

Quote from: emory on August 23, 2016, 07:21:52 PM

Where's Carl Rogers?

emory

Quote from: sparker on August 24, 2016, 04:57:06 PM
That overhead banner looks like it's over one of the Rose Bowl parking lot exits.  Private contractors' signage expertise is, more often than not, well shy of ensuring accuracy!

It's on Rosemont Avenue approaching Seco Street, to the east of the Rose Bowl.

AndyMax25

Thanks, I will forward this to my contact at Pasadena DOT.

Alps

Quote from: AndyMax25 on August 24, 2016, 11:51:53 PM
NO!!!

If it's not hurting anyone, leave an error in the field for us roadgeeks to discover! We're here because we love seeing the interesting and unusual things on the road. If every sign were perfect, life would be so boring.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sparker

Quote from: NE2 on August 25, 2016, 03:04:33 AM
Shield type errors are so boring.
But it might give nostalgic comfort to those Pasadena locals who pine for northern Minnesota, circa 1965!

emory

Tell them it's supposed to be County Route 210. Thanks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.