News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Dead end cities

Started by empirestate, December 18, 2016, 02:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade

Google map links would be more helpful than in addition to Wikipedia links.  Just sayin'.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on December 19, 2016, 03:19:45 PM
I didn't realize that Weeksbury was incorporated, but Wheelwright would qualify. The state maintenance runs right up to the end of the road. There's a short county road that turns off where the state road ends, but it doesn't go very far.

As my mother says, every wide spot on KY 122 had a name at one point.  Hard to keep track of what was incorporated and what wasn't. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CrystalWalrein on December 19, 2016, 06:18:55 PM
Brigantine, NJ. NJ 87-cum-CR 638 is the only way in.

Cape May Point, NJ is debatable since you have CR 606 being the only road cutting across the extreme south of Cape May, and the borough has two ways in from that road: CR 629 and CR 651. EDIT Seagrove Avenue connects to both CR 606 and CR 607 as well and ends at CR 629.

Money Island and Fortescue, both in Downe Township, both require CR 637 to get there.

QuoteFor brevity's sake, exclude any examples where the community is isolated due to obvious geographic constraints, such as being located on a peninsula or island...

empirestate

Quote from: Brandon on December 19, 2016, 05:34:44 PM
Quote from: empirestate on December 19, 2016, 05:17:04 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 19, 2016, 05:02:55 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 19, 2016, 04:11:20 PM
Does Kaskaskia (IL) count as a geographical exception?  It's only accessible via U Highway from Saint Mary, yet its western water boundaries are negligible.

Yes, it does indeed.  Kaskaskia is still incorporated as a village.  Granted that only 13 people live there, but it is a village and incorporated, nonetheless.

Actually, I would say not. To count as a geographical exception, there'd need to be an obvious physical constraint from building more than one road in, and it looks like Kaskaskia could easily get a second if it needed one. Probably the low population and the presence of a state boundary are the constraints in its case.

You contradict your own criteria.

Quote from: empirestate on December 18, 2016, 02:15:43 PM
For brevity's sake, exclude any examples where the community is isolated due to obvious geographic constraints, such as being located on a peninsula or island, unless there's something particularly notable about the signage at its entrance (for example: "Welcome to Anytown" and "Dead End" mounted on the same sign or assembly).

Kaskaskia does indeed count as another bridge could be built easily, and there is a land connection on the southeastern end where a road could be placed.

Right, so it does not count as a geographical exception. I don't see the contradiction. What am I missing?

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: empirestate on December 19, 2016, 11:00:30 AM
Quote from: coatimundi on December 19, 2016, 10:01:45 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2016, 10:23:13 AM
The OP was vague about what his definition of a "route" is, wasn't like he said "road."  Basically I see route as a posted and numbered highway, so anything like a County , Farm-to-Market, State, or US routes would count.

Ohhh, I see the confusion. No, I just meant "route" in the simplest, generic sense, as in "the way to get to a place". So, for our purposes (a roads forum), that means just a road, open and accessible for motor travel, being the only possible way you could be directed to get to a place by driving. As such, official wayfinding signs would presumably be posted showing you this route, and this route only, to get to the place (although the actual presence of such signs isn't an absolute requirement to qualify).

Gotcha now, I think that I have one in Florida that would qualify based off that criteria:

Cedar Key in Florida has only FL 24 entering and exiting town:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cedar+Key,+FL+32625/@29.1445608,-83.037182,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e9a8d4e8c46a71:0x143f3e3d77052cff!8m2!3d29.1385785!4d-83.0351212!6m1!1e1?hl=en

The terrain around Cedar Key is workable in regards to possibly building a secondary road which obviously isn't necessary since the city is well past it's heyday as a logging center.

thenetwork

If you require that regular cars and commercial trucks must be able to have access in and out of the town on more than one road, then Telluride, CO would fit the bill.

And for the majority of the year, Aspen, CO is only accessible via CO-82 from the north and west as Independence Pass is generally closed from Oct-May +/- a few weeks on either end.

Coming back from Denver last week on I-70 west, they had flip-down signs that guided Denver-to-Aspen-bound drivers to stay on I-70 all the way to Glenwood Springs, which is where CO-82's western terminus begins.

...And then there is Juneau, Alaska where you can't get in NOR out.   :bigass:

TheHighwayMan3561

I don't think anywhere in Minnesota fits all the criteria because the examples of Angle Inlet, Noyes, and Island View are all unincorporated.

Which in retrospect Angle Inlet and Island View would be disqualified under geographic concerns anyway...
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Quote from: empirestate on December 19, 2016, 09:31:39 PM
Does Kaskaskia (IL) count as a geographical exception?  It's only accessible via U Highway from Saint Mary, yet its western water boundaries are negligible.

Yes, it does indeed.  Kaskaskia is still incorporated as a village.  Granted that only 13 people live there, but it is a village and incorporated, nonetheless.

Actually, I would say not. To count as a geographical exception, there'd need to be an obvious physical constraint from building more than one road in, and it looks like Kaskaskia could easily get a second if it needed one. Probably the low population and the presence of a state boundary are the constraints in its case.

For brevity's sake, exclude any examples where the community is isolated due to obvious geographic constraints, such as being located on a peninsula or island, unless there's something particularly notable about the signage at its entrance (for example: "Welcome to Anytown" and "Dead End" mounted on the same sign or assembly).

Kaskaskia does indeed count as another bridge could be built easily, and there is a land connection on the southeastern end where a road could be placed.

Right, so it does not count as a geographical exception. I don't see the contradiction. What am I missing?

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

empirestate

Quote from: Brandon on December 20, 2016, 06:09:13 AM
Quote from: empirestate on December 19, 2016, 09:31:39 PM

Hehe, looks like you figured out the error. :-) I think you were trying to say something in reverse, maybe...the question was, does Kaskaskia count as a geographic exception? I said no, and you were saying yes, it does count. From your reasons, it sounds like you meant yes, it counts as a dead end city; that is, it qualifies for the thread. But you were unintentionally saying yes, it counts as an exception.

So the answer, once and for all, is no: Kaskaskia is not an exception, because additional routes could easily be built to it.

bzakharin

it happens also to be a Hasidic community, with the interesting result that at least a couple of street signs can be found in Yiddish.
That is Hebrew, not Yiddish, and is not a street sign, at least not for vehicular traffic. It marks how far one is allowed to carry one's belongings on the Sabbath. No carrying beyond the point of he sign.

empirestate

Quote from: bzakharin on December 20, 2016, 02:29:10 PM
it happens also to be a Hasidic community, with the interesting result that at least a couple of street signs can be found in Yiddish.
That is Hebrew, not Yiddish, and is not a street sign, at least not for vehicular traffic. It marks how far one is allowed to carry one's belongings on the Sabbath. No carrying beyond the point of he sign.

Ah, so it marks the eruv. I used to live next to one of those in Pittsburgh. :) I guess I'll count that as a sort-of navigational sign; it's true, though, that standard English signage is prevalent in the village.

I know that's Hebrew script, of course, although the community's vernacular language is Yiddish. But isn't Yiddish written in the Hebrew script? Or is there really no distinction between the two when referring to the written form?

iPhone

bzakharin

Quote from: empirestate on December 20, 2016, 03:06:49 PM

Ah, so it marks the eruv. I used to live next to one of those in Pittsburgh. :) I guess I'll count that as a sort-of navigational sign; it's true, though, that standard English signage is prevalent in the village.

I know that's Hebrew script, of course, although the community's vernacular language is Yiddish. But isn't Yiddish written in the Hebrew script? Or is there really no distinction between the two when referring to the written form?

iPhone
Yes, it roughly translates "Eruv ends here". Yiddish does use Hebrew script, not to mention many Hebrew words (including, of course Eruv), but I'm pretty sure that sign would be considered a Hebrew sentence, not Yiddish

empirestate

Quote from: bzakharin on December 20, 2016, 03:11:12 PM
Quote from: empirestate on December 20, 2016, 03:06:49 PM

iPhone
Yes, it roughly translates "Eruv ends here". Yiddish does use Hebrew script, not to mention many Hebrew words (including, of course Eruv), but I'm pretty sure that sign would be considered a Hebrew sentence, not Yiddish

Makes sense. After all, I suppose any writing of a rabbinical nature is considered Hebrew, almost by definition.

Beeper1

Hyder, Alaska? 

If we're only counting public roads into the community, then Allagash, Maine would count. ME-161 is the only public road in.

empirestate

Quote from: Beeper1 on December 21, 2016, 10:51:14 PM
Hyder, Alaska? 

If we're only counting public roads into the community, then Allagash, Maine would count. ME-161 is the only public road in.

Hyder's probably a geographic exception. But Allagash should count, if the roads on the "far" side are private logging roads or a closed system. What signage is there approaching Allagash that informs of this?

iPhone

epzik8

I was going to say Solomons, Maryland but then I remembered that there are side streets that form a loop from the south end of Route 2 to the other end of town to give drivers an easy way back out. Then I was going to say Mayo/Beverly Beach, Maryland but again, side streets form a turnaround from the end of Route 214.

I'll have to say Perryman, Maryland (which actually uses Aberdeen as its mailing address); there's no formal turnaround at the dead-end of Route 159.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

NE2

People really suck at reading the first post.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

empirestate

Quote from: epzik8 on December 22, 2016, 03:50:54 PM
I was going to say Solomons, Maryland but then I remembered that there are side streets that form a loop from the south end of Route 2 to the other end of town to give drivers an easy way back out. Then I was going to say Mayo/Beverly Beach, Maryland but again, side streets form a turnaround from the end of Route 214.

I'll have to say Perryman, Maryland (which actually uses Aberdeen as its mailing address); there's no formal turnaround at the dead-end of Route 159.

None of these is a municipality.

NE2

Quote from: empirestate on December 22, 2016, 09:21:39 PM

Not to mention they're all on peninsulas.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tdindy88

Forgive my ignorance, but would Fort McMurray, Alberta count, or Fort Mackay? It would seem that in the news of the fires earlier this year there was a mention of only one real route in and out of town.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 22, 2016, 09:44:23 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but would Fort McMurray, Alberta count, or Fort Mackay? It would seem that in the news of the fires earlier this year there was a mention of only one real route in and out of town.

It does (AL 63) but I don't think it qualifies under the OP's criteria since AL 63 continues beyond Fort McMurray (though it goes nowhere in particular).

Fort MacKay (where AL 63 ends) might qualify, as it's the only road into town, and the only other road leading out of town is a winter road.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

oscar

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 22, 2016, 11:04:53 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on December 22, 2016, 09:44:23 PM

It does (AL 63) but I don't think it qualifies under the OP's criteria since AL 63 continues beyond Fort McMurray (though it goes nowhere in particular).

Fort MacKay (where AL 63 ends) might qualify, as it's the only road into town, and the only other road leading out of town is a winter road.

There seems to be an all-season road north of Fort McKay, to and perhaps beyond Bitumount (depending on the state of oil sands development, the endpoint might be a moving target). But that too seems to be a dead-end, except for the winter road.

Inuvik NT might qualify, though there's an all-season road north of town that by next year should be extended to Tuktoyaktuk, which would take over dead-end honors except for (per the OP's criteria) its being on the Arctic coast. Wrigley NT, though far from a "city", is the dead end of NT 1, except for a winter road extending north that is years away from conversion to an all-season road.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

empirestate

Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2016, 09:36:25 PM
Quote from: empirestate on December 22, 2016, 09:21:39 PM

Not to mention they're all on peninsulas.

Right, which I didn't mention having already come to up short on the first qualification. (Perryman does seem to have an Air Force base next to it, which might not be considered a geographic constraint–but of course, it also seems to have multiple routes out.)

Beeper1

Quote from: empirestate on December 22, 2016, 08:30:15 AM
Quote from: Beeper1 on December 21, 2016, 10:51:14 PM
Hyder, Alaska? 

Hyder's probably a geographic exception. But Allagash should count, if the roads on the "far" side are private logging roads or a closed system. What signage is there approaching Allagash that informs of this?

iPhone

There is no "dead end" signage heading into Allagash on ME-161, but once you drive west of town and cross the river, you eventually arrive at the North Maine Woods checkpoint, where you have to pay a fee if you want to travel the private logging road network that head west and south.  These are gravel roads that technically can be used to go towards Quebec, but are long and remote and privately operated. Some are periodically closed to non-logging vehicles due to active logging activities in some areas.   

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2016, 04:17:47 PM
People really suck at reading the first post.

To be fair, it's a really long first post with several restrictions. Is this an open internet forum or a mathematics symposium?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.