News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Old Sign Disposition in California

Started by thefraze_1020, August 21, 2017, 12:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefraze_1020

I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, but what does Caltrans do with old signs they take down and replace? Do they sell them to a scrap company? The reason I ask is because I see lots of road signs from California on eBay, and I definitely would be interested in scoring a reassurance shield and some button copy lettering...
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Max Rockatansky

Usually they end up in the hands of scrap companies.  A lot of them will sell scrap shields they get on eBay, but I doubt you'll see many button-copy designs on the site for a cheap price. 

Quillz

I've found a pretty good amount of US-101 shields up on eBay recently. Although the prices are a bit steep, and there are plenty of other people out there that can produce replicas for much less. I once had the very good fortune of finding an old porcelain enamel shield while out on a field trip, someone was using it to bridge a gap in a fence. I "borrowed" it, hope they don't come looking for it.

WestSide Highway

I believe it is up to the contractor who takes them down. I've gotten some nice overhead button copy signs from the CapCity sign replacement as well as some button copy letters from the contractor. I also got a few porcelain overhead shields from LA from the contractor.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: WestSide Highway on August 21, 2017, 10:30:56 PM
I believe it is up to the contractor who takes them down. I've gotten some nice overhead button copy signs from the CapCity sign replacement as well as some button copy letters from the contractor. I also got a few porcelain overhead shields from LA from the contractor.

How do you go about contacting the contractors and buying signs from them?

Does Caltrans publish somewhere who they have hired to replace signs on certain projects?
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

WestSide Highway

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on August 22, 2017, 12:02:16 PM
Quote from: WestSide Highway on August 21, 2017, 10:30:56 PM

How do you go about contacting the contractors and buying signs from them?

Does Caltrans publish somewhere who they have hired to replace signs on certain projects?

Yes they have a website where they publish the winning bids. I don't know how to get to it though

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.