News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Odd Temporary Endings To Freeways...

Started by thenetwork, October 17, 2017, 11:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

The Newberg-Dundee bypass' soon to be temporary ending. I think its the only 2 lane freeway in Oregon but it is planned to be a 4 lane highway eventually (100 years from now or so knowing ODOT).

EDIT: I consider US 101 in Cannon Beach to be a 2 lane freeway despite it being closer to an expressway-type than a freeway type.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

lepidopteran

In Short Pump, VA, near Richmond, where I-295 ends at I-64.  I-295 ended as a half-cloverleaf with 2 loop ramps on the far end, but both ramps had paved stubs continuing on a dozen yards or so, into the woods.  One of these loops has since been dug up in favor of a new flyover, but even the roadbed still has a ghost ramp!  These extensions were presumably built to eventually fill the missing arc of the loop around town, but it will probably never happen because (1) the remaining section was built further out, as a toll road (VA-288), and (2) the area past those ramps is a lot more developed now, with both a Walmart and a Target practically on top of the roads path!

Hmm, do we have a thread about ghost ramps that were demolished after having never been used?

froggie

^ Ummm....VA 288 isn't tolled.  But yes it was built farther out.  After that change in location occurred, there was a new plan to extend the stubs as a 4-lane arterial to tie into what is now John Rolfe Pkwy south of 250...but of course that didn't happen either.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on November 30, 2017, 06:35:43 PM
The end of I-295 near Trenton, NJ before it got extended to I-195 used to end at grade with a road it now does not even interchange with.
And when that portion of I-295 was extended to I-195, but prior to the last segment between I-195/NJ 29 and US 130 was completed circa 1994, the highway used to make a sharp bend and become I-195.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

CapeCodder

I still remember the original ending of I-170 in Brentwood/ Richmond Heights, MO. You'd be going south and bam you hit 64/40 and Eager Road. There was that obscene loop ramp to 64E and getting onto 170 from WB you used a typical offramp. MO 364 was an eyesore when it was a stub end at Bennington Place (It was still called Route D at that point)

On a side note, was MO 79 supposed to be four lanes into Lincoln Co? Going from 70 where it transitions into Salt Lick Road until O'Fallon where it just goes down to two lanes pretty fast (it's been a few years since I have been up that way.) Even I-64 just ended at the MO River and continued on as 40/61.

US 89

Quote from: bugo on December 13, 2017, 05:45:27 PM
The intersection of the Gilcrease Expressway and the L.L. Tisdale Parkway in Tulsa qualifies. Right now, the intersection is an at-grade with a traffic light. East of this light, the Gilcrease is a 4 lane freeway. West of the intersection, it is temporarily a 2 lane road. The Tisdale is a full freeway south of this intersection. To the north, the Tisdale continues about 500 yards and ends at a T intersection with 36th Street North. The future plans are to build a huge stack interchange between the two highways.

Is that interchange going to be built by the city of Tulsa, since those are both city maintained freeways?

kurumi

I posted this a while ago to a different thread -- but Persiaran Utama 2/3 ("Main Promenade"), a 6-lane arterial in Seremban Dua with one interchange and one future interchange, ends at an abrupt U-turn at the southeast, where there are evident future extension plans. All 3 lanes going southeast do a U-turn to continue northwest.

https://goo.gl/maps/kNjeh9y8Lnu
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

NE2

Quote from: kurumi on January 19, 2018, 11:24:18 AM
I posted this a while ago to a different thread -- but Persiaran Utama 2/3 ("Main Promenade"), a 6-lane arterial in Seremban Dua with one interchange and one future interchange, ends at an abrupt U-turn at the southeast, where there are evident future extension plans. All 3 lanes going southeast do a U-turn to continue northwest.

https://goo.gl/maps/kNjeh9y8Lnu

Reminds me of the South Mall Arterial in Albany.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Rothman

It isn't the U-Turn on the South Mall that is strange, but the other end:  The fact that there was the idea to obliterate Rensselaer at one time to the point they built the bridge to accomodate it is staggering.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

CA-244 Sacramento It ends at Heritage Oaks Hospital at Auburn Blvd.

https://heritageoakshospital.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_244

Also Park and Ride on the East End of I-70 in Baltimore is the most famous ending.

jakeroot

^^
Thank god you used size tags! Wouldn't have been able to read your post otherwise.

Max Rockatansky

I-11 in Railroad Pass forces you onto US 93 while the new freeway:

IMG_1588 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

bugo

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 19, 2018, 12:09:51 AM
The intersection of the Gilcrease Expressway and the L.L. Tisdale Parkway in Tulsa qualifies. Right now, the intersection is an at-grade with a traffic light. East of this light, the Gilcrease is a 4 lane freeway. West of the intersection, it is temporarily a 2 lane road. The Tisdale is a full freeway south of this intersection. To the north, the Tisdale continues about 500 yards and ends at a T intersection with 36th Street North. The future plans are to build a huge stack interchange between the two highways.

Is that interchange going to be built by the city of Tulsa, since those are both city maintained freeways?

I'm not sure. I don't know if ODOT builts local roads and turns them over to the state or not. It's possible that the part of the Gilcrease just west of the Tisdale will be part of the turnpike, so it would be an OTA/Tulsa owned interchange.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 21, 2018, 03:49:13 AM

Props to NDOT for finally using descending letter suffixes on these exit numbers. Before, just about every suffixed exit number in the state went A -> B regardless of direction of travel. It's a huge pet peeve of mine -- if the numbers are in reverse order going south or west, the letters should be as well since the corresponding ramps are usually in reverse order.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

roadfro

It's not so much odd as it is a temporary construction traffic control measure. It would be odd if things had been left like this for several years.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm actually surprised that there's not a temporary "SOUTH" patch over the "BUSINESS" message and no other indication (signage, construction VMS or otherwise) that the business route is still currently mainline US 93... They'll need to make that distinction when the southbound lanes open to US 95 in a few months (US 93 southbound traffic will still take the business route until October, when Phase 2 is expected to be completed).

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on January 23, 2018, 02:34:03 PM
Props to NDOT for finally using descending letter suffixes on these exit numbers. Before, just about every suffixed exit number in the state went A -> B regardless of direction of travel. It's a huge pet peeve of mine -- if the numbers are in reverse order going south or west, the letters should be as well since the corresponding ramps are usually in reverse order.

True, especially given that there won't be two exits in the northbound direction (only the exit to Railroad Pass, no exit to Bus 93). But didn't we somewhat debunk this claim elsewhere?
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

MCRoads

Quote from: bugo on January 21, 2018, 09:39:16 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on January 19, 2018, 12:09:51 AM

I'm not sure. I don't know if ODOT builts local roads and turns them over to the state or not. It's possible that the part of the Gilcrease just west of the Tisdale will be part of the turnpike, so it would be an OTA/Tulsa owned interchange.

Either way, it probably whont happen, because... well, ODOT has its reasons **cough cough, Budget issues**

Quote from: roadfro on January 25, 2018, 10:53:56 AM

It's not so much odd as it is a temporary construction traffic control measure. It would be odd if things had been left like this for several years.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm actually surprised that there's not a temporary "SOUTH" patch over the "BUSINESS" message and no other indication (signage, construction VMS or otherwise) that the business route is still currently mainline US 93... They'll need to make that distinction when the southbound lanes open to US 95 in a few months (US 93 southbound traffic will still take the business route until October, when Phase 2 is expected to be completed).

True, especially given that there won't be two exits in the northbound direction (only the exit to Railroad Pass, no exit to Bus 93). But didn't we somewhat debunk this claim elsewhere?

I-11 IS OPEN NOW!!!!!!! as we were driving to Las Vegas last year, i was geeking out when we passed boulder city and the construction site... also, as we were driving on I-40, we passed lots of girders that would be part of I-11.  :bigass:
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

roadman65

This end of I-11 is not that strange as its getting locals used to the new configuration and that those traveling straight through to Boulder City will now have to take an exit ramp.  Yes the sign should cover US 93 Business and when Phase 1 opens it will be the temporary split of US 93 and US 95 and will have to have better signage as well.

A strange one is where I-69's northern segment (original south terminus before it was extended) is where the freeway defaults into an arterial.  I-69 at I-465 comes to an abrupt end and transforms into Binford Boulevard.  You think that they would have defaulted the main freeway lanes into I-465 and made Binford an exit.  Considering that I-69 will use the ramps to I-465 you think they could do that with some minor construction.    Although a flyover would be best, I will settle for the small job as money is the issue unless its in the budget for I-69's completion already.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadfro on January 25, 2018, 10:53:56 AM

The weird part I thought was that the "Business" could just be covered up temporarily which would give some continuity to the route with US 93.  It would be nice to have some sort of temporary US 95 signage but it isn't like you can avoid the junction on the outskirts of Boulder City.  Either from what you posted in the other I-11 threads it sounds like much of the bypass of Boulder City is opening fairly soon.

Finrod

Quote from: roadman65 on January 25, 2018, 10:03:22 PM
A strange one is where I-69's northern segment (original south terminus before it was extended) is where the freeway defaults into an arterial.  I-69 at I-465 comes to an abrupt end and transforms into Binford Boulevard.  You think that they would have defaulted the main freeway lanes into I-465 and made Binford an exit.  Considering that I-69 will use the ramps to I-465 you think they could do that with some minor construction.    Although a flyover would be best, I will settle for the small job as money is the issue unless its in the budget for I-69's completion already.

I'm guessing that this is an artifact of the original plan to bring I-69 all the way down to the north junction of I-65 and I-70 downtown.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

roadfro

Quote from: MCRoads on January 25, 2018, 09:26:40 PM
I-11 IS OPEN NOW!!!!!!! as we were driving to Las Vegas last year, i was geeking out when we passed boulder city and the construction site... also, as we were driving on I-40, we passed lots of girders that would be part of I-11.  :bigass:

Not quite... It's only a short portion of I-11 between the end of I-515 and the turnoff to future US 93 Business (current mainline US 93/95) that is open. The more substantial stretch bypassing Boulder City will open in October 2018.

Also, you likely didn't see new parts of I-11 with those girders–to my knowledge, all bridges on that project are cast-in-place concrete (possibly some of the flyovers might be pre-cast). However, if they were steel girders heading towards Vegas, they might have been for the Project Neon I-15 to US 95 HOV flyover ramp...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Perfxion

TX: SH249 end for about ten years. I did love the fact they did the frontage roads first so highway construction wasn't too bad to travel around.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.032437,-95.6046327,1314m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

mrcmc888

I-140 in Knoxville, Tennessee suddenly dumps all traffic onto a stoplight intersection at TN-33 in between Rockford and Alcoa.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8116431,-83.9428481,14z

The plan was to extend the highway all the way down to US 321 in Maryville to connect it with Knoxville, but TDOT ran out of money and shows no desire to complete it anyways.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mrcmc888 on February 03, 2018, 01:26:55 PM
I-140 in Knoxville, Tennessee suddenly dumps all traffic onto a stoplight intersection at TN-33 in between Rockford and Alcoa.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8116431,-83.9428481,14z

The plan was to extend the highway all the way down to US 321 in Maryville to connect it with Knoxville, but TDOT ran out of money and shows no desire to complete it anyways.
Project is still on TennDOT's website:
https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/projects-region-1/pellissippi.html

Which isn't to say they're able to move forward with it for sure.  But it appears to be "shovel ready" if some money comes along.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

jakeroot

Quote from: mrcmc888 on February 03, 2018, 01:26:55 PM

I'm not sure that would qualify as "odd". This thread is only about freeways that have temporary endings, but it's mostly about those that have an odd temporary ending. A half-built diamond interchange seems to be about as normal a temporary ending as you can get. An odd variation of that might be one of the ramps supporting both directions of traffic (see reply #2), or an overpass being built, but only being utilised in one direction (see reply #13).

That said, I'm not the OP. thenetwork makes the final call.

vdeane

In that spirit, I-990 strikes me as interesting.  Sure, it looks like a normal stub, but at closer inspection it turns out only the northbound lanes utilize the stub ramps.  Southbound is just the mainline, and would need to be ripped up were the road to actually be extended.  Although, whether it qualifies as "temporary" is really up for debate.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0474611,-78.7348908,926m/data=!3m1!1e3
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.