News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-70 in eastern Ohio

Started by Throckmorton, October 20, 2017, 10:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throckmorton

So, I have been wondering about a topographical feature of I-70 in eastern Ohio.   

I haven't driven that way in many years but, close to West Virginia, there are or were these three hills in quick succession that could best be compared to a roller coaster. If you've ever seen them you'll know what I'm talking about. It was unusual, I thought, for a stretch of interstate to be constructed in this manner. But I thought it was pretty cool and looked forward to it when driving east.   

Anyway, do these still exist or have they been excavated? In looking on Google street view or recent you tube videos I don't find them.   

Proceed with caution

hbelkins

Quote from: Throckmorton on October 20, 2017, 10:42:19 AM

So, I have been wondering about a topographical feature of I-70 in eastern Ohio.   

I haven't driven that way in many years but, close to West Virginia, there are or were these three hills in quick succession that could best be compared to a roller coaster. If you've ever seen them you'll know what I'm talking about. It was unusual, I thought, for a stretch of interstate to be constructed in this manner. But I thought it was pretty cool and looked forward to it when driving east.   

Anyway, do these still exist or have they been excavated? In looking on Google street view or recent you tube videos I don't find them.

I saw something on Facebook not too long ago about strip mining in that area, and a huge controversy about moving a large piece of excavating equipment from one side of the interstate to the other. Wonder if the segment you're thinking about has been strip mined?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Revive 755

Quote from: Throckmorton on October 20, 2017, 10:42:19 AM

I can't remember a particular stretch of I-70 as described, just I-70 being much hillier and must more interesting to drive from around Zanesville eastward than compared to the rest of rural I-70 in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and most of Missouri.

It might not be as steep, but I-44 in Missouri does have a bit of a roller coaster up/down profile from the Six Flags Exit (261) to the Pacific Exit (257). 
Streetview descending first hill WB
Start of descent from second hill WB 

amroad17

The only section I could think of is between Exits 132 and 141--much further west than where Throckmorton is saying.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Throckmorton

This particular stretch of road was not long. Probably a quarter mile. I don't know...it's been a long time. But they didn't take long to traverse.   

I'm pretty sure it was close to Wheeling. I looked at the stretch amroad17 mentioned and although Google street level is pretty distorted due to the wide angle these hills would, I think, be noticable.   

The unusual thing about the aforementioned three hills was...how can I describe it...they just paved over the existing rolling terrain without excavating and the result was like a sine wave. You would crest the hill on an arc and the valleys were opposite that. That may be a bit of an exaggeration but if you have ever seen these you would remember them.   

When you got to the top of the first one you could see the other two ahead and it was odd to see an interstate highway constructed in this manner. I think they would be very challenging in winter conditions.   

But the last time I went through there was in 1985 so I'm guessing they have been removed.   

Proceed with caution

Mr. Matté

I know you said you tried looking at YouTube videos, but I looked myself and noticed a section at 3:19 similar to what you described here:  https://youtu.be/JJ9p3HcVXNM. Is this it?

Strider

I am curious.. why is I-70 reduced to one lane each at the Wheeling Tunnel? Isn't it a little odd? Does everyone know why?

Throckmorton

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 21, 2017, 09:02:39 PM
Is this it?

Well...no. Thanks for responding, though.   

I had yet another look at I-70 from Cambridge to I-470 and nothing there either. Like I think it would have changed since the last time.   

I have a feeling that stretch of road has been improved and the three hills are long gone.   

Too bad. They were really interesting.   

Proceed with caution

Tom958

Quote from: Strider on October 22, 2017, 12:05:34 AM
I am curious.. why is I-70 reduced to one lane each at the Wheeling Tunnel? Isn't it a little odd? Does everyone know why?

Totally off topic, but...

To avoid difficult merging situations due to lack of room for adequate merger areas, eastbound due to the tunnel portal, westbound due to the Ohio River bridge. The elaborate paint markings indicate that the highway was designed to operate with two through lanes in each direction, but it appears that one in each direction was safer and/or more operationally sound.

2trailertrucker

I think the OP is talking about just east of Newark (Buckeye Lake)
going east. The three hills were notorious to truckers when Ohio still had a 55 mph truck speed limit for trucks. OHP would camp out along the jersey barrier and catch drivers going over on their speed.
Since Ohio raised the speed limit for trucks, the OHP is gone.

hbelkins

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on October 24, 2017, 02:51:17 PM
going east. The three hills were notorious to truckers when Ohio still had a 55 mph truck speed limit for trucks. OHP would camp out along the jersey barrier and catch drivers going over on their speed.

This is that area where the road is six lanes for no apparent reason -- a six-lane island in the middle of a four-lane stretch of highway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2017, 10:48:48 AM

This is that area where the road is six lanes for no apparent reason -- a six-lane island in the middle of a four-lane stretch of highway.
East end of that
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Throckmorton

going east.

I had a look. I think that is much further west than what I am remembering.

Proceed with caution

Throckmorton

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2017, 11:53:28 AMI saw something on Facebook not too long ago about strip mining in that area, and a huge controversy about moving a large piece of excavating equipment from one side of the interstate to the other. Wonder if the segment you're thinking about has been strip mined?

Been meaning to look into this. In searching for an old pic of my elusive three hills I chanced to run across an article which references the event you mentioned.   

But it was in the early to mid 70's and they did not alter the highway. My hills were still there in the mid 80's.   

Interesting story, though. I have never seen such gargantuan earth moving equipment.   

http://www.pophistorydig.com/topics/ohio-strip-mine-fight-1973/

Proceed with caution

Bitmapped

There haven't been any major changes to the horizontal or vertical alignment of I-70 east of I-77 in at least 25 years, if ever. There definitely haven't been any hills taken out.

Throckmorton

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 31, 2017, 07:16:37 PM
There haven't been any major changes to the horizontal or vertical alignment of I-70 east of I-77 in at least 25 years, if ever. There definitely haven't been any hills taken out.

That gives me hope. Do you drive I-70 very often? Do you know the hills I asked about in my original post?

Proceed with caution

westerninterloper

Quote from: Throckmorton on October 31, 2017, 07:30:16 PM

That gives me hope. Do you drive I-70 very often? Do you know the hills I asked about in my original post?

I drove through that area on Sunday, and I'm pretty sure that the hills you are thinking of are near mile marker 132, near Buckeye Lake.

It's a lot closer to Columbus than Wheeling, and marks the start of the unglaciated, Appalachian regions of Ohio.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9436851,-82.4047428,11.91z/data=!5m1!1e4

Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Bitmapped

Quote from: Throckmorton on October 31, 2017, 07:30:16 PM

I've was on I-70 once or twice a year in the 1990s and multiple times a year for the last 15 years. There's a little bit of rolling terrain around SR 9 at Saint Clairsville, but like the others have said, the noticeable hills are a bit east of Buckeye Lake.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Only thing I could fathom would be excavation for Ohio Valley Mall and/or western end on I-470. Either way, we're talking early 80s in this case.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Throckmorton

Quote from: Bitmapped on November 01, 2017, 11:05:51 AM
There's a little bit of rolling terrain around SR 9 at Saint Clairsville

That's the location I remember.

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 01, 2017, 05:10:33 PM
Only thing I could fathom would be excavation for Ohio Valley Mall and/or western end on I-470. Either way, we're talking early 80s in this case.

Also pretty much the same location. But the hills were still there in '85. Still, this seems like the most likely explanation for them being removed.

Proceed with caution

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.