News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

States that allow you to keep registration number when plate design changes

Started by roadman, November 01, 2017, 08:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on November 02, 2017, 12:50:15 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 02, 2017, 07:57:21 AM
To be fair, how often do you need to know it?
I've been asked my plate number nearly every time I've checked in to a hotel.

I find this greatly varies based on the type of hotel you're checking into.

If it's one of the upper Hilton or Marriott tier hotels, they rarely if ever ask.

If it's one of their lower tier hotels (Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn), they sometimes ask.

If it's a Red Roof Inn, Motel 6, etc, they almost always ask.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 02, 2017, 01:26:39 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 02, 2017, 12:50:15 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 02, 2017, 07:57:21 AM
To be fair, how often do you need to know it?
I've been asked my plate number nearly every time I've checked in to a hotel.

I find this greatly varies based on the type of hotel you're checking into.

If it's one of the upper Hilton or Marriott tier hotels, they rarely if ever ask.

If it's one of their lower tier hotels (Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn), they sometimes ask.

If it's a Red Roof Inn, Motel 6, etc, they almost always ask.
Also depends on location. Something more rural with plenty of parking can be more relaxed than a place in city center.

J N Winkler

The motels I use are almost all in the budget sector, and I find the ones that are least likely to ask for a license plate number are the ones that carry out sign-in using tablet computers (typically newer or recently refurbished Motel 6 locations) rather than handwritten forms in duplicate.

As a general rule, budget motels may ask for the following information about the car, listed in descending order of greatest likelihood to be omitted:  year, color, model, make, and license plate number.

I have found it useful to memorize my license plate number, along with my ATM PIN, garage door open code, credit card number, and (until I had my library card replaced recently) library card number.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

briantroutman

I don't think I've ever been asked for a license plate at a Fairfield/Hampton-type of place–only at a Motel 6 or the like when nothing else was available.

Then again, I don't really get the point of asking. If you're going to skip out without paying, do damage to the room, or cause some kind of trouble, you could just as easily give a fake plate number.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I have been asked a few times at nicer places, but only when I was doing a park-and-fly and would be leaving my car unattended in the hotel's lot for a period of time.

kphoger

Quote from: briantroutman on November 02, 2017, 02:03:08 PM
I don't think I've ever been asked for a license plate at a Fairfield/Hampton-type of place–only at a Motel 6 or the like when nothing else was available.

Then again, I don't really get the point of asking. If you're going to skip out without paying, do damage to the room, or cause some kind of trouble, you could just as easily give a fake plate number.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I have been asked a few times at nicer places, but only when I was doing a park-and-fly and would be leaving my car unattended in the hotel's lot for a period of time.

I assumed it was so non-guests couldn't park at the motel.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on November 02, 2017, 02:40:51 PMI assumed it was so non-guests couldn't park at the motel.

There are many possible uses of the information:

*  Tracking down the owner when the car is vandalized or broken into.

*  Identifying which cars in the lot actually belong to registered guests.

*  Sending a signal to guests thinking of bringing in an outside visitor (read:  prostitute) that this is unlikely to go undetected.

In the case of damage to rooms, or additional charges for smoking in non-smoking rooms, bringing in pets when the motel is not pet-friendly, etc. I've always assumed the typical strategy is to place the additional charges on the credit card used to book the room (knowing that this will lose the customer's goodwill forever) while asking for a deposit from cash customers.  I have no direct experience of this, however, because I don't smoke, travel with pets, or trash motel rooms.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 02, 2017, 11:35:31 AM
In Kansas the default is to change the number with the plate design.  When it changes, you are simply sent a new-design plate with a new number when you renew the registration and the file shows the existing standard plate is getting too old.  I do not know what is done with specialty plates, which are also subject to the same problem of aging sheeting.

I was under the impression a person has to re-apply for the specialty serial number whenever it's time for a new plate, but I could certainly be wrong about that.

We used to have a breast cancer awareness plate, which requires a charitable donation.  We only made the donation the first year, so we got new standard plates the next year.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on November 02, 2017, 03:47:29 PMI was under the impression a person has to re-apply for the specialty serial number whenever it's time for a new plate, but I could certainly be wrong about that.

We used to have a breast cancer awareness plate, which requires a charitable donation.  We only made the donation the first year, so we got new standard plates the next year.

I suspect it varies by type of plate.  Two of the family cars have veteran plates, since they were at different times the daily driver for the family member who is a veteran.  One plate is old enough to have all numbers while the newer has an alphanumeric combination.  We have talked about changing one car back to a standard plate while changing the other veteran plate to a Vietnam veteran plate, but where vehicle immatriculation is concerned, inertia tends to be the norm for us.

It is also kind of tricky to find out what happens to a freshly obsoleted plate.  We would rather keep the old plates than be required to exchange or surrender them.  We were not required to send back the old plate for the car that takes a standard plate, but that was within the context of periodic renewal by mail.  Changing plates for the other two cars would be an over-the-counter transaction at the county tag office.

(This is a bit OT for this thread, but there is similar confusion about what happens with old driver's licenses.  I try to keep undefaced expired licenses whenever possible, but my collection of licenses does not have complete coverage of my history as a licensed driver, so I suspect one was taken at the desk and not returned during one renewal cycle.  At the last renewal I had to play dumb at the Andover driver's license office when a clerk was sent around to collect current valid licenses from people awaiting renewal, presumably to deface them by cutting off one corner.  I felt very lucky to escape with the old license intact.)

Brandon

Illinois will simply issue the new plates with the current number.  You can even transfer them to a new vehicle of the same class as the plates belong to the owner, not the vehicle.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on November 02, 2017, 05:29:34 PM
Illinois will simply issue the new plates with the current number.  You can even transfer them to a new vehicle of the same class as the plates belong to the owner, not the vehicle.

Wisconsin plates stay with the owner, too.

Mike

Sam

Quote from: kalvado on November 02, 2017, 10:30:59 AM

I didn't see any Design1 combinations on Design3 metal. Not sure if it is offered.

I've seen them, and they look weird. You had to carry the Liberty number over to the Empire (Niagara Falls) plate for a fee, then later carry it over to an Empire Blue and Gold plate for a fee. All the Liberty plates were replaced with Empire before the Empire Blue and Gold was introduced, so you couldn't do it in one step. (And the Liberty plates were mandatory replacements so you couldn't still have your old blue and gold number on today's blue and gold plates, although it would be awesome.)

kalvado

Quote from: Sam on November 02, 2017, 10:28:48 PM
Quote from: kalvado on November 02, 2017, 10:30:59 AM

I didn't see any Design1 combinations on Design3 metal. Not sure if it is offered.

I've seen them, and they look weird. You had to carry the Liberty number over to the Empire (Niagara Falls) plate for a fee, then later carry it over to an Empire Blue and Gold plate for a fee. All the Liberty plates were replaced with Empire before the Empire Blue and Gold was introduced, so you couldn't do it in one step. (And the Liberty plates were mandatory replacements so you couldn't still have your old blue and gold number on today's blue and gold plates, although it would be awesome.)
Purely hypothetical question: I still have my Liberty plates sitting in the closet. If I bring them to DMV, say these are my plates from long ago (and they can verify that if they still have records) - can I order plates with the same number on Empire gold for a new vehicle? You know, I was a poor student back then, so I couldn't afford paying extra - but those letters are so dear to my heart...

Sam

Quote from: kalvado on November 03, 2017, 08:18:57 AM

Purely hypothetical question: ... can I order plates with the same number on Empire gold for a new vehicle? You know, I was a poor student back then, so I couldn't afford paying extra - but those letters are so dear to my heart...

I think you can only bring over the number from a valid plate and the Liberty plates aren't valid any more. I'm not sure if you can get a gold vanity plate with the Liberty number. Probably can't use an actual plate number on vanity plates.

kalvado

Quote from: Sam on November 03, 2017, 08:29:24 AM
Quote from: kalvado on November 03, 2017, 08:18:57 AM

Purely hypothetical question: ... can I order plates with the same number on Empire gold for a new vehicle? You know, I was a poor student back then, so I couldn't afford paying extra - but those letters are so dear to my heart...

I think you can only bring over the number from a valid plate and the Liberty plates aren't valid any more. I'm not sure if you can get a gold vanity plate with the Liberty number. Probably can't use an actual plate number on vanity plates.
I am talking about ordering a brand new vanity plate. However, carryover numbers were discounted compared to full vanity plates.
I can see 3 options here:
1. COmbination was previously used and cannot be ordered as vanity. Possible given the way NYS is running.
2. Full vanity charge will be applied - no brainier, but I may push for
3. Vanity charge being reduced for carryover number. That would be the case if I replace my old still valid plate for the new one during both recent exchanges - and I wonder if that would apply for Empire plate today

roadfro

When Nevada changed standard plate design in 2001 (phase out of the silver Bighorn Sheep design to the ugly Sunset design), they issued everyone new plates with the same number over the course of a year or two.

Nevada changed standard plates again in late 2016. This change also approximately coincides with the new "rolling reissue" practice of sending replacement plates to active registrations every 8 years. For standard plate holders on the Sunset design, they will receive a new plate with the Home Means Nevada design with the same registration number.

As of July 2016, all standard and specialty plates are subject to rolling reissue, except for pre-1982 blue plates and those plates commemorating the 125th & 150th state anniversaries. For a few specialty plates, the designs have been revised since original adoption (e.g. both the UNLV and UNR plates were redesigned to reflect updated the institutions' updated sports logos about 5-6 years ago). Interestingly, people that have older designs of specialty plates will actually receive reissued plates featuring the original specialty plate design, not the current design. Even people holding active registrations with specialty plates no longer being issued will receive replacement plates in the same style with the same number.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US 89

That's a weird concept for me. In Utah, your plate, no matter how old it is, is good forever (as long as you have the same car) and they won't reissue plates and force you to use the new ones. They do require you to renew your registration every year, after which they will give you a new sticker with the next year on it.

kphoger

Quote from: roadguy2 on November 04, 2017, 11:10:38 PM
That's a weird concept for me. In Utah, your plate, no matter how old it is, is good forever (as long as you have the same car) and they won't reissue plates and force you to use the new ones. They do require you to renew your registration every year, after which they will give you a new sticker with the next year on it.

I believe only plates issued after 1972 are still valid in Utah.
Male pronouns, please.

roadfro

Quote from: roadguy2 on November 04, 2017, 11:10:38 PM

Nevada's rolling license plate reissue program was initiated at the behest of public safety. Specifically, as plates have aged, it has become increasingly difficult for law enforcement to read some of these (especially at night) due to deterioration of colors and retroreflective elements. Summer heat and winter cold can cause some of the plates to fade, discolor or crack due to the elements–for example, some of the flat Sunset plates have discolored so badly that it can be hard to read the numbers from 100 feet away (the legal standard).

My assumption with exempting the pre-1983 blue plates from reissue is that the design is simple enough and the white-on-blue design has sufficient contrast that these are still readable as long as the plates have been maintained in good condition–possession of these has also been seen as a sort of status symbol among native Nevadans since the introduction of the silver bighorn sheep plate in 1983. I'm not sure why the 125th anniversary (the "prospector" plates that matched most Nevada welcome signs until recently) are exempted since many of these have faded quite a bit.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

michravera

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 01, 2017, 09:44:06 PM
Quote from: signalman on November 01, 2017, 08:55:57 PM
New Jersey allows a vehicle owner to retain their old plate number on new plates.  Heck, one doesn't even need to re-plate if a design change should happen.  Any plate from 1959 to current is valid so long as the registration never lapsed.

I think California plates issued from that era are still good as well.  Arizona has maroon-with-white-letter plates that go back to the late '80s or early '90s that are still valid.

California has Gold-on-Black plates that are still valid from before 1960, but plates follow the VEHICLE, not the person here. However, vehicles that are more than 30 years old can apply for "Historical Vehicle" plates with a lower fee, so most people with older plates opt to pay the lower fee and get a shiny new historical vehicle plate.

slorydn1

Not a "design change" per se, but NC did finally replace my 1995 rendition of SLORYDN1 in 2014 due to the age. Being personalized I was able to keep the same moniker. SLORYDN2 was also replaced at the same time even though it was only 10 years old. Sad part was, we missed that short window where they had red type face, so my new plates look exactly like my old plates.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

roadman

Quote from: kphoger on November 02, 2017, 03:47:29 PM

Massachusetts has a whole series of charitable donation plates, including sports teams logo plates - the fee for which include a donation to that team's official charity.  You are required to renew the plates annually (as opposed to every other year for standard issue plates), and the renewal fee includes an additional donation to the charity.

Personally, I have never liked the idea of a government agency acting as an official agent to collect donations for a charitable organization, be it through soliciting donations on income tax forms (as Massachusetts does) or by offering specialty license plates that require one to make a charitable donation to acquire them.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

J N Winkler

Kansas has lookup of possible numbers for specialty plates:

https://www.kdor.ks.gov/Apps/MotorVehicles

I tried a few numbers.  "35431" (one of the family cars)--available.  "302HFR" (without spaces) and "302 HFR" (with spaces) (also one of the family cars)--both available.  "ROUTE56" (assigned to the Kansas expert on this forum)--not available.

What this tells me is that KDOR (1) allows duplication of license plate numbers across different plate bases and (2) allows a space to differentiate two otherwise identical plate numbers.

Both of these are deeply problematic for a honest person seeking to avoid backsplash from video toll enforcement.  If, for example, you have a particular number on the veterans plate base and someone else has that exact number on the KSU plate base, and that person is driving all over the toll roads in Texas with no intention of paying toll, you are at risk of receiving that person's pay-by-mail toll bills and violation notices, depending at how good the toll agencies (or their contractors) are at checking plate bases as well as numbers.

Meanwhile, since many toll agencies require that license plates be registered (for backup video tolling in conjunction with transponder use) by entering them without a space, there is potential for the same registered number to belong to two different vehicles, and that in turn can result in the honest traveller with the transponder being billed through video tolling for travel by the other vehicle.

DevalDragon

Metal plates are disposable in Texas. 

It used to be the plates stayed on the car, but with the toll road system, they come off and can't be transferred.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 13, 2017, 03:22:19 PM
What this tells me is that KDOR (1) allows duplication of license plate numbers across different plate bases and (2) allows a space to differentiate two otherwise identical plate numbers.

It could be possible that while these plate numbers are technically shown as "available", KDOR makes the same checks you did manually and will reject any plate application that would cause such duplication. (I could see a blanket prohibition on any plate in the form "###AAA", for instance, that the availability program simply doesn't implement because most people would not have a legitimate interest in obtaining a personalized plate number in that form.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Brandon on November 02, 2017, 05:29:34 PM

Yep, actually the reason that IL went with a new design is because the last design was delaminating prematurely and they supposedly made a deal with 3M to replace the entire run at limited cost.  So, everyone gets replacement plates at no charge (eventually) depending on when you obtained your last set of plates. Those will feature the new design with your same number - so NNN NNN, NNN NNNN and LNN NNNN classes will be used for those.  New registrations get a new number that's LL NNNNN (some LLN NNNN plates exist from early runs, that was quickly changed though). 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.