Longest distance from exit ramp to control point city

Started by cjk374, December 26, 2009, 09:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

What is the longest distance you have ever noticed between the interstate exit ramp and a control point city listed on the exit's BGS?   My examples are both in Arcadia, LA.  On exit 67 Homer is listed--it's 17 miles from the exit.  On the other Arcadia exit (69), Dubach is listed.  It's between 20-25 miles from the exit if you stay on LA 151.  Another irony about Dubach is that it's listed again in Ruston on exit 85.  It's 12 miles from Ruston on US 167/(I hate to list it, US 63 :pan:)  I'm sure y'all have some finer examples.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jdb1234

I have seen Panama City as a control point when it is 50 miles from I-10.

MikeTheActuary

How far north on I-57 is Memphis used as a control point?

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

corco

Laramie is listed as the control city for WYO 34 off of I-25, and that's a good 77 miles away

agentsteel53

Flagstaff, AZ.  The respective on-ramps for I-17 and I-40 show these cities.

Page is 134 miles away, up US-89 north (surface road so no exit ramp).
Phoenix is 145 miles - the entire length of I-17.

Albuquerque is 323 miles east on I-40 (old US-66).
Los Angeles is 465 miles west on I-40 to I-15 to I-10 (essentially old US-66, except taking taking 40 to 15 to 10, not 40 to 215 to 210 to 110)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

Omaha is a control city on I-80 in Cheyenne, and that's 494 miles away

Um... Cheyenne is the control city for I-84 in Ogden UT, and that's 434 miles away

agentsteel53

I believe one of the on-ramps to I-5 northbound in Sacramento has Portland as the control city.  580 miles or so. 

jake@aaroads.com

MikeTheActuary

mightyace

And, there's the one I went through about 40 hours ago.  I-76 East has "New York City VIA PENNA" as a control city and is 405 miles from the I-80/76 flip-flop west of Youngstown.

from AARoads

Not the longest, even east of the Mississippi (see I-57), but it's still up there.

NOTE: Not only does that brush off all of Pennsylvania with one line, it completely ignores New Jersey!

EDIT: Corrected highway reference and added photo from AARoads.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 26, 2009, 12:53:46 PM
I believe one of the on-ramps to I-5 northbound in Sacramento has Portland as the control city.  580 miles or so. 

I actually haven't seen anything like that in Sacramento County - Red Bluff/Redding serve as the primary control cities for I-5 throughout the entire metro.  However, if it is there, I'm gonna have to check it out at some point...
Chris Sampang

74/171FAN

Of course there's Atlanta on the on-ramp from I-95 SB to I-85 SB in Petersburg about 490 miles away
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

un1

Thunder Bay is listed on I-35 at Duluth. EDIT: Never mind that, it actually says North Shore. Thunder Bay is also listed at Sault Ste. Marie, some 6 hours away (700 km) on the 17B(I-75)/17 intersection. Not sure about in the Western/Northern direction.

EDIT: Just remembered that Cochrane has signs for Thunder Bay, which is 800km away.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

njroadhorse

I-95 South at the I-295 junction north of Richmond has (or had) Miami listed as a control point, which is 962 miles from Glen Allen, VA (the closest town to the junction).  If that's not there anymore (it was in April 2009), then there's also one that mentions Durham, which is 163 miles away.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

agentsteel53

it says Redding and Portland if I recall correctly.  I just know it's approaching the I-5/CA-99 multiplex from the east.  I got on that ramp, but I can't remember where!  :-D

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 26, 2009, 04:31:47 PM
it says Redding and Portland if I recall correctly.  I just know it's approaching the I-5/CA-99 multiplex from the east.  I got on that ramp, but I can't remember where!  :-D

Okay, let me do a quick Google Street View check of the area.  The northbound ramps to I-5/Route 99 from the east are P Street, L Street, I Street, Richards Boulevard (none of those south of the American River make reference to Portland, I can say that definitively), then Garden Highway, I-80, Arena Boulevard, Del Paso Road.

Del Paso Road: http://bit.ly/5Gur5E
Arena Boulevard: http://bit.ly/6mUfl3
I-80: http://bit.ly/8Gmk5w
Garden Highway: http://bit.ly/7fXzaB
Chris Sampang

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: njroadhorse on December 26, 2009, 04:30:11 PM
I-95 South at the I-295 junction north of Richmond has (or had) Miami listed as a control point, which is 962 miles from Glen Allen, VA (the closest town to the junction).  If that's not there anymore (it was in April 2009), then there's also one that mentions Durham, which is 163 miles away.

Miami is still mentioned on I-95 and in a few other areas in Petersburg, at the I-85 interchange.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Ian

New York City appears as a control city on I-90/Mass Pike going west at I-84 in Sturbridge, MA, which is a distance of 158 miles. It also appears as a control city on I-95 in Baltimore which is about 187 miles.

Montreal and Buffalo also appear on distance signs on the NY Thruway all the way in Suffern, NY.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on December 26, 2009, 04:53:02 PM
Miami is still mentioned on I-95 and in a few other areas in Petersburg, at the I-85 interchange.

Thank-you StreetView.

A bit over 900 miles, although it's spoiled a bit by sharing billing with Rocky Mount, NC.

OracleUsr

There is a sign on AB 43 not all that far from the start of the Alaska Highway that has a control city of Alaska...never mind that's more than 1500 miles away just from the start of the Alaska Highway.

I'd link a pic, but it's not mine, and I don't want to cause trouble with a fellow roadgeek.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on December 26, 2009, 06:38:05 PM
Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on December 26, 2009, 04:53:02 PM

Thank-you StreetView.

A bit over 900 miles, although it's spoiled a bit by sharing billing with Rocky Mount, NC.

Here's a photo of that gantry:

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Bickendan

Just for kicks, southbound OR 99E Bus has a distance sign in Salem for Dallas, Independence and Monmouth approaching OR 22.
Dallas is accessed from Salem via OR 22 then OR 223; Monmouth via OR 22 then OR 99W; Independence via OR 22 then OR 51.

In other words, southbound OR 99E Bus's control cities are all two highways removed  :pan:

shoptb1

I believe that ODOT's use of New York City as the control city for I-80 at Youngstown, OH is the longest in the Northeast (of course, VA using Miami on I-95 takes the cake for the entire country), and it's especially strange since New York is 3 states over (not in PA or NJ) and technically I-80 doesn't even go to NYC.  It's still pretty cool though.  It's 400 miles from Youngstown to New York City.  

vdeane

Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 26, 2009, 06:35:18 PM
New York City appears as a control city on I-90/Mass Pike going west at I-84 in Sturbridge, MA, which is a distance of 158 miles. It also appears as a control city on I-95 in Baltimore which is about 187 miles.

Montreal and Buffalo also appear on distance signs on the NY Thruway all the way in Suffern, NY.
On I-90 NYC appears on distance signs as far as Buffalo (418 miles away).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.