News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kid Friendly Rest Area Listings

Started by CanesFan27, November 26, 2017, 08:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

When you have kids and write about road and roadtrips, coming up with a listing of kid friendly rest areas and visitor/welcome centers is a no brainer.  This list is intended to help parents, families, and care givers with a listing of rest stops where there are activities to let restless kids a chance to let off some steam while not venturing too far off their planned route.

This current listing is just a start - feel free to comment or email with any additions/corrections.  Photos always help too!

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/p/kid-friendly-rest-area-listing.html

kphoger

All my kids ever needed was a grassy spot to run around in.  And a toilet.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

When my brother and I were kids, the important thing was toilet facilities. We were astonished when we encountered "rest areas" in New England that did not have toilets.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

LM117

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2017, 01:42:46 PM

I was a kid once. Can confirm.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

21stCenturyRoad

Many Rest Areas in France have small playgrounds.
Also, Florida's Turnpike had playgrounds in their service plazas in their earlier years.
Does anyone know of any rest areas with playgrounds here in the US?
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

vdeane

Three of our TasteNY/Welcome Centers do: Long Island on I-495, Southern Tier on I-81, and Mohawk Valley on I-90/Thruway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: LM117 on November 27, 2017, 03:03:37 PM

I was a kid once. Can confirm.

Can also confirm.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

formulanone

Yup, pretty much all they need. A little space away from traffic is best.

The rest areas along I-65 in Alabama typically have some spaces for kids to run around. Usually, the ability to run up and down a hill is thrilling to them. Sometimes they just want a free map.

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on November 27, 2017, 04:09:43 PM
Also, Florida’s Turnpike had playgrounds in their service plazas in their earlier years.

Yeah, and they're now some of the least kid-friendly rest areas, with no natural areas to walk around in. The re-configured parking lots are a mess, and drivers aren't always looking out. Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike rest areas, and make them more restrictive, with additional parking headaches, and you have some idea about the design flaws.

I-95 and I-75 along Florida aren't much better, with varying sizes of green space, but at least the parking situation usually doesn't involve crossing the lots to use the facilities. The I-95 and I-75 Welcome Centers are fairly new designs with space to move around and stuff to explore inside. Some of the older rest areas on I-95 around Saint Augustine have nice picnic spots with plenty of room from traffic and other tables. Others are a mixed bag.

US 41 / Tamiami Trail has some neat spots for sightseeing, but bear in mind a child (or most adults) might not like the toilet...take a portable commode, subtract cleanliness and 75% of the available light. Basically, a fearsome dank pit with a door. Makes for a parenting horror show.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.