News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Moving US capital

Started by Roadgeekteen, November 27, 2017, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

How would you move the US capital if you had too to make it more centrally located? I think St. Louis or Kansas City would be my choice.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CNGL-Leudimin

I would move it to Lebanon KS. It's physically impossible for it to be more centrally located in the lower 48 (unless they annex immediately adjacent areas of Canada and/or Mexico) :bigass:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

If I had to move it somewhere central, I'd probably build an entirely new city so that there wouldn't be the problem of trying to graft all sorts of ugly security measures onto existing public spaces.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2017, 05:00:22 PM
If I had to move it somewhere central, I'd probably build an entirely new city so that there wouldn't be the problem of trying to graft all sorts of ugly security measures onto existing public spaces.

An entirely new capital city would almost certainly be a "company town". That would aggravate one of the more unattractive features of our existing capital.

Maybe downsize and/or decentralize the Federal government, so the new capital would fit into an existing major commercial center with a lot more going on than just government. St. Louis or Kansas City could be options, but Dallas/Ft. Worth might be better even though not as centrally located.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kalvado

How about putting government on a big ship, sailing to the center of Atlantic ocean and sinking it right there?

02 Park Ave

Denver  It is almost the western capital now.
C-o-H

jp the roadgeek

I would say a newly built city somewhere along I-44 in MO between Joplin and St. Louis.  It's the closest interstate highway to the population center of the US.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on November 27, 2017, 05:31:46 PM

An entirely new capital city would almost certainly be a "company town". That would aggravate one of the more unattractive features of our existing capital.

Maybe downsize and/or decentralize the Federal government, so the new capital would fit into an existing major commercial center with a lot more going on than just government. St. Louis or Kansas City could be options, but Dallas/Ft. Worth might be better even though not as centrally located.

Yeah, I had the same thought, but I had trouble finding a non-political way to express it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

KeithE4Phx

In the age of the Internet, it's foolish to continue to have our nation's capital in one single city.  Remember, 9/11 could have been a whole lot worse than it was, had the hijackers managed to hit the White House or the Capitol Building. 

Each branch could be in a different city today, none of which should be within range of a nuke (read:  not on either coast).  Congresscritters could locate their offices strictly in their state/district, with votes by electronic means.  Then, for example, locate the White House in Chicago, the Supreme Court building in Denver, and the military (Pentagon II) in Kansas City.   The various government agencies under the Executive Branch could be located pretty much anywhere.

The news media would certainly throw fits, since they'd have to be located somewhere in Flyover Country instead of The Almighty East.  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

The Nature Boy

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 27, 2017, 07:31:43 PM
In the age of the Internet, it's foolish to continue to have our nation's capital in one single city.  Remember, 9/11 could have been a whole lot worse than it was, had the hijackers managed to hit the White House or the Capitol Building. 

Each branch could be in a different city today, none of which should be within range of a nuke (read:  not on either coast).  Congresscritters could locate their offices strictly in their state/district, with votes by electronic means.  Then, for example, locate the White House in Chicago, the Supreme Court building in Denver, and the military (Pentagon II) in Kansas City.   The various government agencies under the Executive Branch could be located pretty much anywhere.

The news media would certainly throw fits, since they'd have to be located somewhere in Flyover Country instead of The Almighty East.  :)

One of the biggest problems in Washington is the lack of cooperation among members of Congress. Your proposal would make it substantially worse since no one would ever actually meet. Also, the legislative and executive being in Washington helps for cooperation between the two branches, which is honestly essential to advance policy.

The various government entities COULD NOT ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT be located anywhere. I used to work at a federal agency in Washington and we often had to collaborate with other agencies, including traveling to meetings with people at the other agencies, you can't just spread agencies around the country.

The entire government needs to be the same city for everything to function. Anything else is a mere fantasy.

ColossalBlocks

Plato, MO.

It's the population center of the US, so.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Max Rockatansky

Bodie, CA the place could use a little extra life. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kalvado on November 27, 2017, 05:57:08 PM
How about putting government on a big ship, sailing to the center of Atlantic ocean and sinking it right there?
Did the US military conquer Atlantis?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Brandon

I like that idea.  Barring that, Wake Island sounds like a good choice.  With no airport or docks.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kkt

South Africa has the branches of government spread out.  The president, cabinet, and civil service offices are in Pretoria, but the legislature meets in Capetown, the Supreme Court of Appeal is in Bloemfontein, and the constitutional court is in Johannesburg.  I wonder if anyone has written about how well or poorly it works for them.

oscar

Quote from: Brandon on November 27, 2017, 09:37:18 PM

I like that idea.  Barring that, Wake Island sounds like a good choice.  With no airport or docks.

When Alaska was noodling over whether and where to move its state capital (not happening), there was sentiment both for moving the capital closer to the Anchorage area so people there could more easily wring legislators' necks, and for instead moving it somewhere remote and unpleasant like the far western Aleutian Islands.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AlexandriaVA

So basically what the Burma/Myanmar did when it moved its capital from the ancient city of Yangon (Rangoon) to the modern city of Naypyidaw.

AlexandriaVA

I don't have a source handy, but the majority of federal workers are outside of the Washington metropolitan area (sadly, think back to Oklahoma City as an example of a flyover city with a federal office presence), considering field offices, military bases, ports-of-entry, etc.

It's a fun mental exercise but of little practical use. I imagine the Constitution would need to be amended to seriously move towards any type of highly-distributed federal government. As I recall, there were even issues when the federal government first started moving agencies into nearby Virginia and Maryland.

Chris

How would you name a new capital? Americana? Americanopolis? Freedom City?

The capital of the Netherlands is constitutionally Amsterdam, but parliament, government institutions and embassies are in The Hague. Bolivia is another country with a different constitutional capital (Sucre) than the seat of government (La Paz).

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Chris on November 28, 2017, 10:20:36 AM

How about Lobbyville, after those whom our gummint officials really represent?  :-D  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

index

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 28, 2017, 10:49:41 AM

How about Lobbyville, after those whom our gummint officials really represent?  :-D  :)

Ajit Pai would certainly love it.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Henry

I'd say St. Louis over Kansas City simply because it is on the Mississippi River, the dividing line between East and West.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

AlexandriaVA

Effectively what Brazil did, both by moving the capital to a custom-built city off its east coast (previous Rio) and with its name (Brasilia).

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on November 27, 2017, 05:31:46 PM

Disagree. The capital should be just that -- the seat of government. There should be nothing but government offices there. The government should own all the land and there should be no residents or local government. That's what DC was originally meant to be, as I understand it.

In terms of spreading the offices out, everything doesn't need to be in the capital city. Annapolis is a prime example. The capitol is there, but many of the state offices are in Baltimore. When I went to the AASHTO Subcommittee on Transportation Communications conference there a couple of years ago, most of the SHA folks were out of Baltimore.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

There would have been a reasonable case for moving the capital 100 years ago.  These days travel is so easy that there's no way it out outweigh the costs of moving.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.