News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Yield Sign in Wrong Place in Divided Highway Crossover

Started by Brian556, December 03, 2017, 07:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

This is crazy. Traffic making a left turn off the divided highway conflicts with traffic on the cross street in front of the yield sign. Not only that, the shape of the little island on which the yield sign is located suggests to drivers that a right turn is permitted here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7645558,-92.7911564,3a,75y,17.01h,80.89t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGQTWYw5UPIt-zMcer19v9g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DGQTWYw5UPIt-zMcer19v9g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D157.94858%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i3328!8i1664

jeffandnicole

Saw a similar issue slightly to the east.

Yeah, that's a pretty bad mistake there.

Brian556

That's not the only place like that. There are several other crossovers on the same highway with that design

US 89

I agree: bad design. When I first saw it, I thought it was the first half of the divided highway, not the second. It looks like the island is for left-turning drivers off the highway, but there's definitely a suggestion to turn right there.

Also, that's a really wide median. Is that highway supposed to be upgraded to a freeway or something?

kphoger

Forgive me, but what exactly is wrong with the setup? 
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2017, 02:05:00 PM

Turning right is not allowed here, but there is a right-turn slip ramp.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on December 04, 2017, 02:11:32 PM

But the thread title has nothing to do with the slip ramp.  It's about the yield sign.  What's wrong with putting a yield sign there?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2017, 02:51:46 PM

But the thread title has nothing to do with the slip ramp.  It's about the yield sign.  What's wrong with putting a yield sign there?

Does it look like you can make a right turn in front of the yield sign?

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 04, 2017, 02:56:02 PM

Would moving the yield sign make it look like you can't?
Male pronouns, please.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2017, 02:56:53 PM

Oh boy.  Let's go back to basic driving rules.

You pull up to a yield sign, look, then go.  The basic rule is to stop/yield at the stop/yield bar.  If none exists, then you stop at the sign.

But, you have a car pulling up on your right that has the right of way, which is thru your path where you are sitting at the yield sign.  Additionally, that vehicle is crossing over the double yellow.

Also, you don't paint a double yellow line thru the intersection, which includes the left turn lane.

The proper way to sign this is just like every other intersection: The Yield sign goes prior to the incoming turn lane, and the double yellow stops prior to that lane.

jeffandnicole

Also, the downstream 'DO NOT ENTER' sign is incorrect as well.  That sign should be at the intersection; a red 'WRONG WAY' sign should be located where the DO NOT ENTER sign is posted.

kphoger

I guess I get that.  One problem is that, due to the curvature of the highway and the small hill on the right, it's all but impossible to tell if traffic is coming from the east; in other words, you're going to have to yield where the sign is currently placed anyway

But I simply don't find the setup confusing to begin with.  It's in the median of a well-known divided highway, there's a one-way arrow, the line on the right side is yellow...

But this all brings up something that's always nagged at me.  I've never much liked two-way crossovers for the very reason that the two movements in question conflict by nature.  Left-turning traffic from the highway conflicts with left-turning traffic from the crossover.  None of the obvious solutions are all that good, in my opinion:  a roundabout-type crossover (kind of like this), or else reversed lanes in the median (kind of like this).  A roundabout crossover just spreads things out a little more, and the reversed lane setup really only works without a through crossroad.
Male pronouns, please.

7/8

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2017, 02:56:53 PM

I agree that even wiithout a yield sign, it looks like a right turn ramp. The yield sign isn't the problem, the unnecessary island is. Get rid of the island, move the yield and one-way signs back, and everything is solved.

Brian556

To me, the issue of the shape of the island making it look like you can turn right is the smaller issue. the much bigger, and more dangerous issue is the left turning traffic conflicting with the traffic in the crossover before the yield sign. This has to be one of the most dangerous engineering errors that I have ever seen, right up there with this turn lane in Osceola Co, FL:https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3044781,-81.351754,50m/data=!3m1!1e3

UCFKnights

Quote from: Brian556 on December 05, 2017, 12:28:25 AM
To me, the issue of the shape of the island making it look like you can turn right is the smaller issue. the much bigger, and more dangerous issue is the left turning traffic conflicting with the traffic in the crossover before the yield sign. This has to be one of the most dangerous engineering errors that I have ever seen, right up there with this turn lane in Osceola Co, FL:https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3044781,-81.351754,50m/data=!3m1!1e3
That one doesn't look so bad. It should have a yield sign/bar, but I can't see too many people having major mistakes there, there is a sign indicating whats there is a merging lane right before the turn turn.

Brian556

Quote from: UCFKnights on December 05, 2017, 08:57:46 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on December 05, 2017, 12:28:25 AM
That one doesn't look so bad. It should have a yield sign/bar, but I can't see too many people having major mistakes there, there is a sign indicating whats there is a merging lane right before the turn turn.

Doesn't look so bad? There is no other like it anywhere as far as I know. The strange situation, combined with two movements conflicting without a yield or stop sign, is a recipe for disaster. It would be interesting to get the accident history for it though

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.